Temp import permit

1 Ola Mas

I Should Upgrade My Account
Apr 24, 2010
Looking at the Coronados from the patio...
Name
WoodEye
Boat
15' Gregor 25hp Mariner
looking at the website it says to input the motor serial number as well as the hull ID number. I won't have a motor on the boat or in the truck when I cross the border. is that an issue with customs? will they issue the TIP without a motor on the boat? I could say my 15' Gregor is a row boat!

Upvote 0

bparker1225

Ocean Addiction
Sep 27, 2004
Leucadia/Los Zacatitos
Name
Bill Parker
Boat
21' 6" Cabo-Cabo Bill
Get your TIP ahead of time. There are ways to do that. I believe that a TIP is required for any boat over 14 feet. Except kayaks.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

yellowklr

My Best Catch!!!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 22, 2003
San Diego,Ca
Name
Derek
Boat
complicated
id just put the serial number for the the motor that you have for it...whether its on the boat when you cross or not don't think it will really matter

Upvote 0
Mar 11, 2006
san diego
Name
curt ljungquist
Boat
22 sea cat/16 klamath
When you go to cancel your TIP is where your biggest problema will arise. If the motor serial number on the TIP does not match the motor hanging on the boat they will assume you sold the motor down south.

Upvote 0

1 Ola Mas

Apr 24, 2010
Name
WoodEye
Boat
15' Gregor 25hp Mariner
Thanks for the replies. I plan to use the website prior to crossing so that I have TIP in hand.

Can someone enlighten me on the purpose of the TIP? In 10 years I may not be alive, but I will be expected to remove my boat at that time? I ask because it's a one way trip for the boat. A buddy has a motor in Baja that we plan to use on the boat. What happens if the boat (or motor) isn't worth removing in 10 years?

Upvote 0
Mar 11, 2006
san diego
Name
curt ljungquist
Boat
22 sea cat/16 klamath
All the Fonatur marinas and some others insist on a TIP to use their facilities. A person can have only one boat TIP at a time in their name. Woody, if your going to take the rig to your place only, i don't see any reason to import it. I believe Baja is different than Mainland where you have to TIP vehicles,campers,boats. If you want to import another boat you have to remove TIP (from first boat) by showing boat to officials at an exiting location. Thats what i had to do anyway. The only people ever interested in my TIP have been at marinas. Never been asked at the border (south bound). TIPS keep boats from being sold and left down south with out taxes being paid, its all about money. "I guess" Good luck

Upvote 0

1 Ola Mas

Apr 24, 2010
Name
WoodEye
Boat
15' Gregor 25hp Mariner
So you're saying that they only wanna see registration for the boat and trailer when I cross at Otay? I'll be traveling Beverly Hillbilly style and don't wanna deal with the X-Ray machine in TJ.
Thanks Curt. Maybe we'll see ya there this summer!

Upvote 0

aguachico

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Jul 20, 2004
El Lago Tijuana
Name
Art
Boat
Trident Yak- Grady White Seafarer
You may have to go thru the xray machine regardless.

I have a TIP to take the Grady to ensenada and loreto and any marina in Baja that requires it. I have not been asked for the TIP at the border.

I agree with Derek, just use the serial number intended for the boat.

I did my TIP in person, needed all the original docs.

Upvote 0

Rufo

Rufo
May 23, 2006
Around the Way
Name
Bob
Boat
Yes
Woody, Brian says hi. We just had a fun trip to Cabo. Hope you have a blast on your trip and looking forward to that one of a kind report that only WoodEye can post.

If I'm not mistaken a TIP is required to bring any boat over 14'6" into Mexico, even Baja as of 2013. Kayaks may be excluded. Not sure, don't have one.

Derek and Art have it correct. Follow their advice and get the TIP if you want to follow the rules. It's easy online, cheap and good for 10 years. I have been asked for the TIP only twice out of all the times that I crossed. Other times when they didn't ask and I showed it to them they didn't even know what it was. Welcome to Mexico and that's just one of the many reasons that we all love Baja :)

Everybody that I've been talking to recently said they have not been asked for last several months in TJ or Tecate so there is a good chance you will never need it for the trip your taking.

I believe Curt is right about only one TIP at a time so if in the future you want to bring in a different boat you may need to remove the TIP from the first boat by physically showing them the boat exiting Mexico, un-importing it. You may have an issue at that point with no motor because they may think that you brought one down, sold it and left it in Mexico. Not sure about that because don't know any that's done what you are doing but I always figure it's best to prepare for worst case scenario.

As far as the purpose for the TIP, it's a permit required by the Mexican govt to ensure that boats and motors in Baja (includes vehicles and trailers in some of mainland) do not get taken from the US to Mexico for sale or gift to Mexico. Basically they are saying you can bring your boat for recreational use. You gotta pay us a small fee and check in with us every 10 years to prove you didn't sell it or give it away. Just there to help prevent illegal importation. If you croak, prob not an issue cause you will never apply for another TIP. Not sure how well organized their data base is so unclear how it would affect the new boat owner at that point.

Discover Baja has all the up to date, correct info and can help get the TIP.

Here is an easy link to accurate info about the TIP.

http://www.mexonline.com/boatmex.htm

Upvote 0
Mar 11, 2006
san diego
Name
curt ljungquist
Boat
22 sea cat/16 klamath
There are different import laws for mainland, sonora,& baja. There is a difference between entering Mex by land (boat on trailer) or by water. Entering by water and making port requires a TIP because of customs. Baja does not require any vehicle importation at all. Mainland you not only import but post a bond. The whole thing is about the Mex gov getting taxes paid for a US vessel that is sold or used as a charter etc. NOBODY is going to say anything about a 15' Gregor being push into the water at BOLA. Your better served worrying about how much booze you have stashed in your truck. Have fun!!!!!

Reactions: aguachico
Upvote 0

Kellys twins

Playing with the twins
Aug 9, 2011
Parker AZ, Campo de Lorenzo, San Quintin, BCN Mex.
Name
Rick Woodley
Boat
Kellys twins 23' Donzi
I have been asked for a TIP in San Quintin last year right outside the bay, i did not have one they let me slide, and was told to have one next time down. Since then i always carry all paper work. That was the first time in thirty years i have ever been asked for any paper work while in Baja. What they asked for was a passport, fishing license for everyone on board, TIP, boat reg. all i had was a license for me, my wife's had just expired, and my capt. who lives in SQ had none, he was told to get one also, fill i got a free pass on that one so now all paper work is carried on boat.

Upvote 0