Tecate Border Returning

Discussion in 'Baja Mexico Fishing Reports and Discussion' started by NearlyNormal TJ, Oct 12, 2012.

1. NearlyNormal TJ

NearlyNormal TJ Newbie

Has anyone been stopped for an ambiguous traffic violation in Tecate?
    We usually go down in a group several times a year, and fish either the Pacific or the Gulf side with always great results. Always a "time".
    But now we are being stopped by traffic cops on returning thru Tecate, the wait in TJ is always 2+hours, vs. Tecate 15 - 20 minutes. They are asking and getting anywhere between $100 - $200 per stop.
    This has happened to my group 3 different times.:shithappens:

2. Pancheke

Pancheke CHILANGO HATER

Name:
    PANCHEKE
    Boat:
    QUE ?????
    POPCORN READY !!!!!!!

3. robertebaker

robertebaker BOILERMAKER.

Name:
    Bob Baker
    Boat:
    No
    I've heard of this, however it hasn't happened to me in 4 crossings this year. The girls at Discover Baja advise to tell the cop you want to go to the station. If the commander or judge or whoever it is at the station says you have to pay, then you have to pay. If it's a bogus stop, the cop is probably going to tell you to go ahead. I haven't had to do this yet, but I'll try it if I'm stopped.

4. bajadog

bajadog Running around knees bent

Name:
    Name
    Boat:
    Yours
    Same deal in Mexicali. Told the traffic cop lets go to your station or whatever. Well that meant he would no be able to shake down more gullible
    tourists and lose some revenue. He finally just wrote down our plate, and warned us he'd be watching.:shithappens::shithappens::rofl::rofl:

5. KennyKorvina

KennyKorvina Newbie

Name:
    Ken
    Boat:
    Valco
    I agree with robert...if you as to go to the station it may force their hand and they figure for the same amount of time needed to take you in (and make no money) they could find another tourist and pocket some extra cash...let you go with a "warning". And the bribes ARE illegal so asking to be taken to station is the surest bet. (though I realize there will be an avalanche of "we just pay the 40 bucks and keep moving" posts!)

6. pele

pele Member

Name:
    ken
    Boat:
    boats are designed to drive men insane
    Please stop feeding these thieves.Are you clean or hiding something.Assuming you have nothing to hide,and don't need to cross because someone is about to give birth,tell them you will go with them to the station.Worse case scenario is you pay at the station which will be about 40dollars max.They cannot tow your car,despite what they might say.They can demand your d.l. until it is cleared up though,which would be pronto.I have only had one officer carry through with the infraction,after this game of chicken and he was a leutinant in front of newbies in training. p.s. I get pulled over frequently for DWG(driving while gringo)

7. aguachico

aguachico I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Art
    Boat:
    Trident Yak- Grady White Seafarer
    Ditto to that. Pinche ratas are expecting you to be in a hurry. Just say write me a ticket or go see the judge.

8. LilFishBaja

LilFishBaja Aquaholic

Name:
    Mondo
    Boat:
    Kayak/L.R.
    Exact same thing happened to our group.. Heading through Mexicali, bogus putaso on a bike rolls up behind us.. Tells us we're driving too fast, and makes a show of milking some time and trying his best to relay to us that we're breaking the law.. He wasnt expecting the "station" request.. He said to turn at the next light while he follows us, and we follow it down one of the ghettos.. I was getting ready to pull the shank out if he was gonna mess with us! After a couple of times telling us that we're driving too fast, finally lets us go with a roll of his eyes.. Passing him up, made sure to give him the good ol' salute :finger:

9. la vida

la vida Now I love our Prezzz!!!

Name:
    Frank F
    Boat:
    Boat-less (Sad)
    Just don't pay them.
    Stops then cold.

10. Avery Gilleland

Avery Gilleland Member

Name:
    avery gilleland
    Boat:
    tuna can
    Always have a Pen , paper And camera with you ! Get out of the car with all these items in hand and ask the officer nicely to give you his name and tell him before you pay anything you'll need a picture of him. THEN JUST SHUTUP AND WAIT !!!!!!!!!!

11. 4v1df12h1ng

4v1df12h1ng Sensei

Name:
    Who
    Boat:
    yes pls
    Setup a video camera in your vehicle with your dash and road in view (gopro2 hat clip or mounted driverside column). have it rolling at all time if your camera has enough memory or storage. If has feature to record over from start at least you have 1-2hrs recording prior getting stop.... just a suggestion.

12. pele

pele Member

Name:
    ken
    Boat:
    boats are designed to drive men insane
    What I do is always remain respectful,but ask what is the procedure for an infraction;don't ask how much it is.That only sets up the bribe.Keep the conversation on official prodocal and then suggest as you are an honest, cooperative fellow you will follow him to the station, unaware that bribes are even an option.This will frustrate him and also cause him a slight amount of uneasyness as to how this could turn out thus turning the tide in your favor.
    As they say,you can't cheat an honest man.Show him that it's you.
    btw,the court procedure to pay is really easy,if it gets that far.You go to the window(someone will point you),they tell you to go see the judge which is probably a guy eating and watching t.v. who pretends to make some official calculations and says take this back to the girl and pay the amount.And boom,that's it.

13. rdrrm8e

rdrrm8e Fucking Stan

Name:
    chuck
    Boat:
    No
    Welcome to Bloody Decks!

14. bajadog

bajadog Running around knees bent

Name:
    Name
    Boat:
    Yours
    Pass the Patron....

15. rdrrm8e

rdrrm8e Fucking Stan

Name:
    chuck
    Boat:
    No
    Welcome to Bloody Decks!

16. japruit

japruit Newbie

Name:
    Jimmy
    Boat:
    24' SeaRay & 18' Glasspar
    We are an alien nation..Welcome to mankind:hali_olutta:

17. yellowklr

yellowklr My Best Catch!!!!!!!!!!!!

Name:
    Derek
    Boat:
    complicated
    I cross Tecate anytime I have my boat and Have never had that problem BUT whatever you do don't give those crooked ass cops a dime!!!! Why feed the fire?
    That is the lazy way out handing these guys money

Crossed Tecate on Friday 5 minute wait!!!!!!!

18. baja tailhunter

baja tailhunter Newbie

Name:
    steve huth
    Boat:
    mike's-bill's good to have friends
    You can also dial 078 on your cell phone to get the tourest help line. and let them handle it.

19. smokinwater

smokinwater "Fire's Out!"

Name:
    Jon
    Boat:
    won't b mine

I've got verizon, or does it matter Tecate being that close to the border? or does it call a mexican tourist phone?