Targetting opah

ZZZZZ

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Dec 11, 2003
Name
Boat
A (Gorilla) is a large BET. And Opah like/share BET water conditions

Often hooked by surprise while fishing for smaller grade offshore fish. Which makes the Gorilla feel extra strong from being hooked on light gear

MikeyLikesIt

did you say FISHING ???
Feb 24, 2003
East-a-La-Mesa, baby!
Name
starts with an "M".....
Boat
#1 boat scrubber - Team Madrugador
BET is a BigEyeTuna. Gorrilla is a large one. Targeting Opah, well, my son did it. :)

ZZZZZ

Dec 11, 2003
Name
Boat
No way. That is fkn incredible. I knew about the prior Opahs but not your sons since after I relocated. Father son Opah club. Very rare

I'm wondering. If the encouragement was to get a fresh spool pack from dropping a jig to the knot :D too cool

Great instincts

Reactions: woodfish330

ZZZZZ

Dec 11, 2003
Name
Boat
2 were hooked. This guy was focused fighting his Gorilla with his peepee gear

The other angler who probably failed from lack of forward performance. Spent more time making sure his cigarette was sano. Bye bye

1193278_edcae25728f22777a3f0f921cf41a9ef (1).jpg

AKSalmon

Jul 15, 2006
Juneau, Alaska
Name
Bill Brown
Boat
Sold my Parker. You can find me on the Red Rooster.
"BET is a BigEyeTuna. Gorilla is a large one."

I get it. Thanks. I've only been tuna fishing for a dozen years or so and have never seen a BET, much less an Opah. But I have eaten grilled Opah at Mitch's seafood several times. It's excellent.

Reactions: woodfish330

woodfish330

Aug 14, 2012
San Fransisco,CA USA
Name
John
Boat
Fishead
I believe the history / science says they'll return. They're "cyclic". You know it's all about the currents. As they change....so do the Tuna "Highways". Bait.... temps... All important part's.

If you really want to learn about BET read Capt. Tred Barta from the 70's - 90's he was the KING. Wrote many books... about.his fishimg exploits and techniques. Not afraid to be quite controversial. Like him or not..... that guy could catch. ... big time. Check him out on GOOGLE. Man Cave stuff for sure...lol.

swami 805

Mar 9, 2016
Name
Bill
Boat
sunk it
I loved watching Tred Barta,he had a great show. Too bad what happened to him but even all crippled up he still got after it. Rip
I remember coming back from albacore fishing in San Diego and seeing yachts coming in with fat bigeye tied on the swim step, they'd skip albacore and target them instead. I think they found them on the warmer dirty side of the current breaks or something

woodfish330

Aug 14, 2012
San Fransisco,CA USA
Name
John
Boat
Fishead
Your right....SWAMI ....to see him go through the "event" was really tough. He talks about it in his book..... but he did quite a few shows in that wheelchair. Brave guy.

What I loved.... He was a true fisherman. Tried experimental techniques and riggings and took copious notes. Met him at the Miami Boat Show.... was blessed to fished with him twice. He was a drill Sargent on the boat...lol.... yelling at everyone...even me. But man could he catch.

I thought I knew tuna fishing.... but got "schooled" those 2 days by the Tuna King. I learned about "schooling" your trolling lures together closely. Which lures where.... and why. I believe at one time we may have had as many as a dozen lures grouped together off the stern while trolling.

Always controlled "pandemonium".... Each crew member had a very specfic job clearing those lures so the troll fish (s) could be taken quickly. It was ILLUMINATING. Those 2 trips..... were Tuna / BET "college" for me. I was like a sponge.

That ZZZZZ is why I was working with JR on the boat.. In the dark.....on the troll for BET. That's also why I'm the king of "copious" notes. There are answers to your questions there.... He would say, but you need enough info to find the correlations. NEVER EVER FORGOT THAT.....and you hear me saying that allot here on BD.

Many anglers never delve that far into the "patterns" of the past / present conditions..... to have an accurate prediction of what and where those fish will show. He taught me to trust the "data" that's there... repeated..... and look for those little variations to adjust too. I personally have notebooks for over 40 years of fishing. Just "my" technique now....THANKS CAPT. BARTA!!! :notworthy

Last edited:
Reactions: ZZZZZ

mogambosquid

Oct 31, 2004
Carpinteria, CA, Chiriqui, Panama
Name
Greg
Boat
22' panga, 24' diesel inboard
I hope the bigeye situation is just part of a cycle, but current evidence points to increased commercial pressure as a major contributing factor. The central pacific FAD/seiner fishery has completely decimated BET stocks. They wrap tonnage of juvenile football sized bigeye, essentially wiping out whole year classes. Anything else associated with the FAD is wrapped too. This fishery started up in the mid 90s which correlates with the sharp decline of local catches.

Bigeye are such bitchin (and tasty) fish. I was lucky enough to be in on some ripper bigeye bites in the late 80s-early 90s, During one bite on 60-90# fish, we ended up with 54 and broke every lift pole on the boat, also caught a 205# troll fish in 93.

CrazyDonkey

Sep 4, 2014
Name
Ian
Boat
Linda Vista

Opah fish are hauled onto a dock for sale Friday, March 20, 2020, in San Diego. Fishermen coming home to California after weeks at sea are find a state all but shuttered due to coronavirus measures, and nowhere to sell their catch. A handful of boats filled with tens of thousands of pounds of fish are now floating off San Diego's coast as they scramble to find customers. (AP Photo/Gregory Bull)
$10 a loin for Opah at the fish market at tuna park.

Reactions: FishRock