Targeting Reds plus report

Discussion in 'Southern California Inshore & Islands Fish Reports' started by Ryanbrandeburg, Dec 30, 2018.

1. Ryanbrandeburg

Ryanbrandeburg My wife's fishing guide

Name:
    Ryan Brandeburg
    Boat:
    Ranger 2510
    This is more of a combination of reports over the last few weeks. Been going out to La Jolla mostly fishing in the 200 to 220ft range finding a mixed bag either using deans or squid strips. Every now and again I pull up a decent Red, but mostly smaller starrys or good size bocaccio. I've caught more reds using live deans than squid strips though. Yesterday I decided to give the 9 a try and found some monster (to me) bocaccio in the 6 to 6.5 pounds range some starrys and a lone Mako fishing in the 300 to 350ft range. First time I've had a Mako circle my boat. Live lined a big dean to him and instant hookup, but no wire and almost immediately bit me off. Went to Anglers Choice today and bought one of those Seaqualizers to help try and save some of the by-catch for deep water fishing. Anyone else use those? Anyway I've seen a few reports lately of people just slaying the Reds. Now I'm not looking for gps coordinates, and I know how to use my sonar to find good structure, but are there any other tricks to locating these tasty guys? I'll post some pics of the bocaccio later today.

20181229_170300.jpg 20181229_170004.jpg

Tackleho619, jsl, the SLIDER and 8 others like this.
  2. NoSlack

NoSlack Newbie

Name:
    Mike
    Boat:
    23' Blackman Billfisher
    The Seaqualizer is a great tool when rockcod fishing. You will need a pound of lead for every 5 pounds of fish. Go with 2 pounds and you’ll be covered for everything but the bigger Cowcod.

Were you on the south end as it drops off into the deep water? I was there in the orange boat. That’s normally a good area but there wasn’t any current yesterday to get things going.

Mike

Geo-Fish likes this.
  3. Geo-Fish

Geo-Fish Newbie

Name:
    Geo
    Boat:
    Geo-Fish
    You guys stoked? In 2019 the Rockfishing depth will be 450 feet?

I’m looking forward to trying deeper spots off the 9. It should produce when Rockfishing opens up again in March ....for awhile that is.....

See you in 2019

4. Ryanbrandeburg

Name:
    Ryan Brandeburg
    Boat:
    Ranger 2510
    I was there in a little 19 ft cc with the bow trolling motor. I have spot lock on it so it'll keep me right on the structure without having to drift over and over. Wind picked up pretty hard late afternoon and kicked my butt on the way back in.

ChefboyArBee and Geo-Fish like this.
  5. Normslanding

Normslanding I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Dave Spangler
    Boat:
    Blue Heaven
    Ryan, This is a general thing, and should apply to most areas where there are reds. First they are only somewhat stricture oriented. If you find a area with harder bottom (nothing great) Reds can be in small groups foraging around. My choices of bait are Chovies, glow Octopus style jigs with a little Squid, and Shrimp flies. You can get up and down fast with flies. You may load up with flies on the first drop, but usually consecutive drops will produce less and less. We use to think we caught them all. But now IMO they are moving and foraging around. So look around some more.
    Good hunting. Oh don't let my Florida address fool you.

longboard85 and Geo-Fish like this.
  6. Normslanding

Normslanding I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Dave Spangler
    Boat:
    Blue Heaven
    Oh my location doesn't say Florida.

Geo-Fish likes this.
  7. Tuna Vic

Tuna Vic I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Victor
    Boat:
    18ftC/CWellcraft Calico Time II
    Nice ice chest load there!

Geo-Fish likes this.
  8. radman

radman Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Darrin
    Boat:
    Stringari
    Normslanding is correct.I have been fishing alot of rockfish the last 15 yrs or so,and I say the same as he does,Reds are not usually sitting right on top of heavy structure,but are either a little ways off it,or they are just on a harder bottom,not necessarily on heavy structure.My key over the last years has been red shrimp flies,or squid looking plastics.Straight squid strips is just asking for whitefish or starries,etc.Live sardine or chovy is good also.I have found nice spots on the finger or lower 9 that I feel pretty confident I could go get a few people limits of qaulity(Over 3-4 lbs each)reds in a matter of a few drops,if they are using the correct flies..Also,another thing I have found is if you go over structure,and the bottom is lit up with a bunch of marks,it is more than likely big school of the stuff we would rather not catch....just my experience,I am not an expert!Also he is correct that the first drop,and maybe the 2nd also,will produce,but then they move,and you either keep trying to scratch,or come back later.

Geo-Fish likes this.
  9. Ryanbrandeburg

Name:
    Ryan Brandeburg
    Boat:
    Ranger 2510
    Thanks for the sound advice. I actually have never used these shrimp flies, and will have to do a little research. Rock fishing has been a pretty cool experience because you really never know what the hell will come up, or start circling the boat. Hell when I was parked out there I had a massive kelp paddy float on by, but was empty.... Definitely something I'm going to do more of, and will probably go just south of the border in some deeper spots between now and march and a few calm days. Wind dependent I may go back out tomorrow and try out this Seaqualizer for the first time! Happy new year everyone and tight lines.

shamitch74 and Geo-Fish like this.
  10. Cat Harbor Kook

Cat Harbor Kook Swordy Jordy

Name:
    Jordan
    Boat:
    Greenback
    In my opinion the type of bottom yields different species of rockfish. I’ve caught more reds and chucks on pinnacle and high relief bottom. Flat hard bottom gets me more groupers and smaller miscellaneous rockfish. Check out Nathan Perry on youtube ROV footage of rockfish that shows the bottom really well and helps you visualize what you see on the meter

Geo-Fish likes this.
  11. Azarkon

Azarkon I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Joe
    Boat:
    N/A
    Excellent advice you are getting here, I definitely second the idea that tons of marks usually = tons of small fish, not quality rock fish. Different from Central California, in local southern locations, red tend to be in small loose schools, not large ones that light up the meter in the middle of the water column, those are almost always either schools of white fish or small rock fish, at times boccaccio.

You want to pick at the edge of pinnacles and high relief hard bottom, the predators tend to circle the bait schools you see on your meter, but are not right on top of them. They also tend to move, which is why you often get them at certain times of the day but none before or after.

For red specifically you can try to filter out the small fish and white fish using big chunk of mackerel or live sardine, but the issue as you’ve noticed is that anything red will bite, so will boccaccio. Very hard to avoid pulling a bunch of those when you’re in their territory, but I will say that red like lingcod are usually aggressive so after a few drops of no red you should move on.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2018
    Geo-Fish likes this.
  12. Tunaslam

Tunaslam I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Cory Visser
    Boat:
    N/A
    Nice haul!

Geo-Fish likes this.
  13. caballo del mar

caballo del mar Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Doug
    Boat:
    32' Amato cabin
    I’ve caught a lot of Reds using squid strips. You just need to be in the right spot. Some spots hold Reds better than others.

Geo-Fish likes this.
  14. Inthwtr

Inthwtr Newbie

Name:
    Derek
    Boat:
    Achillies 15

Geo-Fish likes this.
  15. Inthwtr

Inthwtr Newbie

Name:
    Derek
    Boat:
    Achillies 15
    450?

I'm not seeing this.

I so WANT it to be true, please clearify?

The recreational fishery for rockfish is open year-round to divers and shore-based anglers.The fishery is closed to boat-based anglers from January 1, 2019 through February 28, 2019. These species may only be taken or possessed in waters less than 450 feet (75 fathoms) deep. The daily bag and possession limit is 10 fish in combination of all species within the RCG Complex (includes all species of Rockfish, Cabezon and Greenlings) per person, with a sub-limit on black rockfish (3 per person) and canary rockfish (2 per person), also included in the 10 fish RCG Complex aggregate limit. Yelloweye rockfish, [​IMG]bronzespotted rockfish, and cowcod may not be retained (bag limit: zero).

Geo-Fish likes this.
  16. Azarkon

Name:
    Joe
    Boat:
    N/A
    Did you read what you just quoted? It says right there...

This is for southern California only, central and northern California will be allowed more depth, but not to 450 feet. They didn't update all the documents yet because it's not open until March 1. It will be updated by then.

450 feet along the coast and at Catalina.

240 feet in the cow areas.

Whether off shore banks like the 14 mile are included is unknown, will suck to have to discover it by trial and error when they catch you...

Personally don't expect the 450 feet change to matter all that much, my experience has been that 300 to 400 feet along the coast isn't more productive than 200 to 300 feet, but always equate to twice the amount of pulling. They'd need to open it up to 700 feet to make a big difference, 1200 to be able to target sablefish and thorny head...

240 feet inside cow area is the bigger change. Party boats already fishing illegally in 200 feet a lot of the time, but now it will be legal so they'll probably go to 300, will be monster fish at San Nicholas Island...

Last edited: Jan 2, 2019
    Geo-Fish likes this.
  17. Inthwtr

Inthwtr Newbie

Name:
    Derek
    Boat:
    Achillies 15
    WOW

That looks like just about the stupidest thing I ever posted! I'm an idiot!

So it IS true!!Thank you for pointing that out!!! The 14 is exactly what I was thinking about too but it has always had that "Rockfish Conservation Area" on the charts..

I remember the 500+ drops of the old days with my Dad. Seemed like they were just bigger fish, thicker bite, more consistent. But your right, I remember winding, winding, winding...

Geo-Fish likes this.
  18. Croaker.Stroker

Croaker.Stroker Old White Guy

Name:
    Croaker
    Boat:
    Arima Sea Pacer
    “....may not be taken or Possessed“

Geo-Fish likes this.
  19. Croaker.Stroker

Croaker.Stroker Old White Guy

Name:
    Croaker
    Boat:
    Arima Sea Pacer

14 mile bank would be off limits because you could not take your catch into deeper water without breaking the law.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2019
    Geo-Fish likes this.
  20. Azarkon

Name:
    Joe
    Boat:
    N/A
    That's the way that sentence has always been written. Trust me, it doesn't indicate that you can't possess rock fish outside of 450 feet or people wouldn't be able to travel back from the islands. It just indicates you can't FISH in deep water WHILE rock fish is in possession, which everyone should hold to because it actually is illegal to have rock fish on your boat while fishing for tuna at 2000 feet even though you caught the rock fish in 200 feet.

Geo-Fish likes this.