Almost A Member
Nov 8, 2004
Santa Monica
www.dmscontractors.com
Name
Dan
Boat
“Dogtown” 26’ skipjack
This was definitely one for the books. One of the best trips for me in along time.
Just having little kids, and other life stuff has kept me off the water. I think the fishing gods took pity on me :)

It took great planning and decision making by my old friend Ray lopez on the AA to dodge and weave the weather, while also being able to put us on the fish.
Pretty rad to see him first hand in action as one of the best LR captains now. I met him more then 15 years ago when he first started with Brian and Sam.
He made the perfect chess moves, and it paid off large.

On our first travel day I was fortunate to get a 200lb+ blue fin with the short fishing time we had.
The next night was nothing short of mayhem. Every single drop was a 150-230lb blue fin tuna. I mean the second you got down to the zone you were stopped multiple times and bit. I could only imagine what the scene looked like down there in 45 fathoms.
I hooked 6 or so in about a 2 hr window, with a couple more over 200. They we’re biting!

When all that smoke cleared, we were off to one of my favorite destinations. The approx 350 NM total run to Isle De Guadalupe, stopping at Ensenada first to check in.
Ive probably been to Guadalupe 20 times. It can be challenging to even the most seasoned fisherman. I’ve seen the best struggle here for apparently no rhyme or reason at all. You can do everything right, and still not even get sniffed.
But the fishing and the weather shined on us for this trip. I wouldn’t say it was as good as it gets at this place, but it was def way, way, way above par. Really good fishing for great quality Tuna and Yellows.
We also saw all the other beauty this place has to offer. Besides seeing many Great Whites of course, we also saw a Whale shark (i’ve never seen one here), some epic sunsets/sunrises and all of Lupe’s unbelievable landscapes.
Catching Yellowtail to 60lb and many 100lb+ Yellowfin tuna took second place to all the eye candy from the backdrops and the island itself. Can’t wait to go back. If you haven’t been, I suggest you go. You don’t have to be a fisherman to appreciate this magical place. I’ll be back that’s for sure.
Thanks @american_angler_longrange for a great trip.
Great catching up with my old friend @rg_lopez
as well. Well done bro 🙌
#longrangefishing
#fishing #saltwaterfishing #tuna #bluefintuna #yellowfintuna #yellowtail #whaleshark #greatwhiteshark #sunrise #sunset

4B5F002D-30D8-499D-B6E3-BD8963BBF53C.jpeg

59E96A18-1E83-4848-A7F7-78573E8976F3.jpeg

6F5FAD12-5E75-4B70-BF41-5D27CF81613E.jpeg

4D5745ED-44F5-4EA5-ADA0-C1B7C11736FC.jpeg

30252C33-A4E4-489E-9C55-5849DDEC2322.jpeg

FFFF94CF-F4B7-4378-96C1-3637DAD8D142.jpeg

A3CA98CA-32F6-4711-AB36-12F21241ADF8.jpeg

61D0B76A-146E-46A3-BC76-0F495E6497BB.jpeg

C1481265-253D-4E96-B465-896BBC3CD3E6.jpeg

24F188CD-9089-4933-97B9-ED050324D576.jpeg

828A4000-C584-4E2F-808E-095BB07CCC6B.jpeg

Last edited:

bdogie1

• May 27, 2015
    Name
    Brandon
    Boat
    getsome
    This was definitely one for the books. One of the best trips in a long time for me.
    It took great planning and decision making to dodge and weave the weather, while also being able to put us on the fish. Making the perfect chess moves paid off large. Luck and timing helped too of course.

On our first travel day I was fortunate to get a 200lb+ blue fin with the short fishing time we had.
    The next night was nothing short of mayhem. Every single drop was a 150-230lb blue fin tuna. I mean the second you got down to the zone you were stopped multiple times and bit. I could only imagine what the scene looked like down there in 45 fathoms.
    I hooked 6 or so in about a 2 hr window, with a couple more over 200. They we’re biting!

When all that smoke cleared, we were off one my favorite destinations. The approx 350 NM total run to Isle De Guadalupe, stopping at Ensenada first to check in.
    Guadalupe can be challenging to even the most seasoned fisherman. I’ve seen the best struggle here for apparently no rime or reason at all. You can do everything right, and still not even get sniffed.
    But the fishing and the weather shined on us for this trip. I wouldn’t say it was as good as it gets at this place, but it was def way, way, way above par. Really good fishing for great quality Tuna and Yellows.
    We also saw all the other beauty this place has to offer. Besides seeing many Great Whites of course, we saw beautiful Whale sharks, sunsets, sunrises and it’s unbelievable landscapes.
    Catching Yellowtail to 60lb and many 100lb+ Yellowfin tuna took second place to all the eye candy from the backdrops and the island itself. Can’t wait to go back. If you haven’t been, I suggest you go. You don’t have to be a fisherman to appreciate this magical place. I’ll be back that’s for sure.
    as well. Well done bro 🙌
    #longrangefishing
    #fishing #saltwaterfishing #tuna #bluefintuna #yellowfintuna #yellowtail #whaleshark #greatwhiteshark #sunrise #sunset

View attachment 1326522

View attachment 1326523

View attachment 1326524

View attachment 1326525

View attachment 1326526

View attachment 1326527

View attachment 1326528

View attachment 1326529
    Insane how lucky you are!!!

Upvote 0

2Rotten

Live in Oregon/Love to Fish San Diego!
    Jan 10, 2010
    Junction City OR
    Name
    Rod Lathrop
    Boat
    24' North River Seahawk Hardtop "Sun Dog"
    Wow Sweet! Amazing trip sounds like you made the Best of a Great situation! Way to Go! Guadalupe is the Next Destination for Amy and me, just started looking. Planning to go Fall 2022. Fun!

Upvote 0

Tunahead

Long Time Tuna Abused Member
  • Aug 11, 2006
    Costa Mesa
    Name
    Ron
    Boat
    several
    GREAT Report/Info/Pics Dan..and NICE FISH everyone. Solid Work.
    Looks like the perfect trip for ya!
    Glad you all slayed some beast fish!

Reactions: Dogtown67

PharmDoc

Master of MyTunaverse
    Aug 27, 2012
    Albany/OR/USA
    Name
    Aaron
    Boat
    World Cat 270EC: The Millennium Flounder
    OMG. This is the dream trip for me. Just once I want to hit one of these nighttime jig bites! Two if the hundred pound fish jigging a couple years ago, but I had to work for them during the daytime. Never a night bite.
    Epic! Just epic!

Upvote 0

gettingbentwithbo

Subscribe to my YouTube Channel!
    Mar 7, 2009
    Riverside
    gettingbentwithbo.com
    Name
    Bo
    Boat
    16' Starcraft SF SS
    Wow that's an INSANE trip. Thanks for sharing.

Upvote 0

GaffnLaff

Rum is Tackle
    Dec 3, 2003
    Bay Park
    Visit site
    Name
    Dave Cairncross
    Boat
    Currently looking for a new Ho'ing opportunity
    Now I want to go lupe more than ever....wow thanks for the write up and pics.

Upvote 0

Dogtown67

Almost A Member
    Nov 8, 2004
    Santa Monica
    www.dmscontractors.com
    Name
    Dan
    Boat
    “Dogtown” 26’ skipjack
    This was definitely one for the books. One of the best trips for me in along time.
    Just having little kids, and other life stuff has kept me off the water. I think the fishing gods took pity on me :)

It took great planning and decision making by my old friend Ray lopez on the AA to dodge and weave the weather, while also being able to put us on the fish.
    Pretty rad to see him first hand in action as one of the best LR captains now. I met him more then 15 years ago when he first started with Brian and Sam.
    He made the perfect chess moves, and it paid off large.

When all that smoke cleared, we were off to one of my favorite destinations. The approx 350 NM total run to Isle De Guadalupe, stopping at Ensenada first to check in.
    Ive probably been to Guadalupe 20 times. It can be challenging to even the most seasoned fisherman. I’ve seen the best struggle here for apparently no rime or reason at all. You can do everything right, and still not even get sniffed.
    We also saw all the other beauty this place has to offer. Besides seeing many Great Whites of course, we also saw a Whale shark (i’ve never seen one here), some epic sunsets/sunrises and all of Lupe’s unbelievable landscapes.
    as well. Well done bro 🙌
    #longrangefishing

View attachment 1326523

View attachment 1326524

View attachment 1326525

View attachment 1326526

View attachment 1326527

View attachment 1326528

View attachment 1326547
    View attachment 1326546

View attachment 1326522

View attachment 1326529
    Thumbs down Ito is lose again IC? WHY?
    huh?