Tanner run with the SB boys

Discussion in 'Southern California Offshore Fishing Reports' started by fisherman1133, Nov 21, 2016.

1. fisherman1133

fisherman1133 fisherman1133

Name:
    Matthew Lowe
    Boat:
    2320 Parker (Bigger Jigger)
    Well after watching reports of the Tanner, things became too much to handle so I organized a trip with the Santa Barbara crew. Ended up being my buddy Randy, his son Sage and my friend Arty on his 25 parker. I wish I coulda taken my 23 but I just done have the fuel range and would rather take a boat with 2 engines instead of 1. We left Pedro Saturday night at 9:30 a little later than we call wanted to. We tried to stop by Nachos but of course, he was asleep and would not sell bait. Off to Catalina we go. We stopped in at the Isthmus (being from SB we couldn't figure out if this was the frontside of two harbors or the back, we got it figured out when we saw the glow of the lights) and picked up 3 scoops of squid from the Ultra. Shout out to the Ultra for the bro deal hook up! We left the island and headed out to the Tanner doing about 25knots comfortably. Made it to the bank around 3 and metered around. I was surprised by the number of boats already chilling and drifting. From the previous nights reports I heard it went off at night so we had high hopes. We started our drift near the numbers from FD. We hooked a few blue sharks and had one questionable bite but other than that we had an uneventful night. (If anyone was on the bank Saturday night, did you guys get bit in the dark?) Oh well, the gray light came and went and finally around 6:00 we got our first fish on the boat. After that first fish, we finally found our rhythm and would just set up really long drifts while chumming our dead squid and would hook one or two fish a drift. We would see one or two fish on the meter at times but we never saw any big schools like the O95s pic of their up and down. If we didn't have any action or saw any fish on the meter we would move and try another zone. We ended the day going 3/5 on the BFT and catching at least 8 blue sharks. Our last fish kicked our asses! we landed it after a 2 hour fight. We hooked her on 80lb spectra and 60lb floro on a seeker 2x4 and a Penn int 2 speed that had been Cal sheeted. Good lord can these fish fight, its amazing how one will just lose its will to fight and come in after 20 min while another will just refuse to die. Our biggest fish ended up being around 90lbs id say. After that last fish, we headed home in confused seas while dodging thunderstorms. What a great trip with a great crew!

34EBDA9F-A275-4F35-852C-703DE93F2F3D.JPG IMG_5739-2.JPG IMG_5743-1.JPG

2. Highwayman

Highwayman Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Dude
    Boat:
    None
    I was there Saturday in the dark. It seems the bite started about 6 or 7 pm and we quit about 9:30/10 pm with 50 BFT.

3. fisherman1133

fisherman1133 fisherman1133

Name:
    Matthew Lowe
    Boat:
    2320 Parker (Bigger Jigger)
    What boat were you on? We couldn't find the fish in the dark for some reason. fished the shit outta the flat falls but maybe we just got on it too late? who knows, im just glad we ended up doing well during the day.

4. joezee1986

joezee1986 Baja Bound Salt Junkies

Name:
    Joseph Zaragoza
    Boat:
    Last Cast Ensenada / Mag Bay Lodge
    Good stuff man!

5. Highwayman

Highwayman Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Dude
    Boat:
    None
    I was on the Oceanside 95 and flat falls weren't working. Everyone was using glow sliding sinkers and squid. I used a rubber band torpedo 4 oz glow and 8 oz stock to get out of the tangles. They were down at about 180 to 240 ft. Got 2 on 80 lost two on 60 due to tangles.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2016
  6. RyanErb

RyanErb Love to fish!

Name:
    Ryan
    Boat:
    OnTheWater
    Matt, thanks for the report! Glad you guys got into some fish for the effort you put in, especially on a smaller boat that isn't 95ft!

Congrats on the nice fish!

fisherman1133 and rick rouland like this.
  7. rodngun762

rodngun762 I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Boat:
    Way to go!

8. doncatfish

doncatfish Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Don
    Boat:
    25' Hydra-Sport
    Great report and good observation. It does amaze me how some bluefin will come to the boat relatively easily for their size and then the next one of the same size is a freakin ass kicker and will take at least twice as long. Must be like people where some have the stamina and some don't.

fisherman1133 likes this.
  9. Pgnracr

Pgnracr Member

Name:
    Jeff
    Boat:
    Line up
    Great report!! Very true. We had a #95 fight 30 minutes on 60# flouro then a 70# bft on 80# flouro took one hour forty minutes crazy!!

10. invictus

invictus AVD

Name:
    Jason
    Boat:
    Tiara 2000 Cuddy
    That's an outstanding trip by ANY standard. Well done.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11. Capt. Scott Goodwin

Capt. Scott Goodwin Capt. Scott Goodwin

Name:
    Capt. Scott Goodwin
    Boat:
    Glasser 16'8
    Congrats on a great trip and for making the front page of BD Outdoors.

fisherman1133 likes this.
  12. benrd81

benrd81 Member

Name:
    Ben
    Boat:
    2660 Sailfish WAC Reellife
    Nice job Matt, glad it all came together. Long run for a potential skunk.

13. Tunaslam

Tunaslam I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Cory Visser
    Boat:
    N/A
    Outstanding day!