THE GRAYS

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Oct 20, 2006
Redlands
Name
The Grays
Boat
2021 Parker 2320
We are not yet brave enough to make the trip to Cortez/Tanner, but curious to hear about owners of Parker 2320s or similar boats doing it. We have seen a few fish reports from 2320s at the banks, but no details on how it is done with this boat.
  1. What launch ramp are you leaving from?
  2. What time do you leave?
  3. How long does it take to get there (weather permitting of course)?
  4. Where do you keep enough ice in case you are lucky and land a big one?
  5. How long do you have to actually fish by the time you get out to the banks?
  6. Do you stop in Avalon to get gas?
  7. Do you anchor at San Clemente Island to sleep?
  8. For fuel savings do you troll a bunch of the way there and back or is fuel not an issue?
We mapped it and figuring it is about 200 miles roundtrip including trolling around a bit, seems pushing it on 137 gallons. We have radar and FLIR to travel at night.

Thanks in advance for any information.

Big_Tuna_

Aug 3, 2017
San Diego
Name
David
Boat
Hobie Tandem Island
I got the scoop from a charter here, I am not sure on boat size but they use a parker. For a 1-day they leave at 4am, get there by 9am, fish till 2pm then head back. Roughly 5 hours of fishing and 10 hours of motoring.

I've thought about it in my parker 2310, I have 137 gallons and get between 1.8-2.3 depending on sea state and load. I assume you get similar MPG? Worse case at 1.8mpg, that would get me around 250miles.

Reactions: THE GRAYS

Mr Main22

Shoot em & cook em
Apr 18, 2014
Open Ocean
Name
Mr_Main22
Boat
2110 Parker WA
I have 100 gallons on my Parker 2110, just got back from tanner/Cortez and I came back with a little less than half tank. I brought an extra 10 gallons. We also drifted through the night with a wary eye. But the boat handled fine for the first time out. We hooked on to 3 big ones. We left from Los alamitos, back up plan was to fill up at Catalina if need be. We didn’t need to do that with a long shot

we also burn about 8-9 GPH at 25 MPH. Honda 225 pushing the 21’

Wonder if anyone saw us out there lol

Last edited:

aguachico

Jul 20, 2004
El Lago Tijuana
Name
Art
Boat
Trident Yak- Grady White Seafarer
I was on the tanner last week in a big boat. There were 22ft skiffs out there. I was planning on taking my 22ft grady in a few weeks. 170 gallons in the floor plus 30 gallons on the deck. I would like to sleep on the hook in the cove before heading back. I would take 250# of ice, I can carry 200-300# of fish depending. No trolling. Launch out of MB.
No deens. only squid making, fresh dead and flyers.

Canvas Man

Feb 6, 2008
San Diego
Name
Ken
Boat
25' Hydro Sport
If everyone would like we could set up a group of boats to all go together buddy boating is the best way for smaller boats. I have. 25 Hydra sport on a calm day we can cruse at 28 to 30 and burn 17 to 18 gph. We have a 195 gal. Tank but if we can't cruse 25 or more we burn about 19 gph at 20 to 25mph fuel is an issue so our solution since we will not carry live bait we will put a fuel bladder in the bait tank and carry about 30 to 40 gallons extra. Hopefully that should be enough its a 230 mile RT plus any moving around you need to do. so its still cutting it close.
I fished SCI earlier this season and when carring 250 300# of ice and full fuel, food, tackle ect.. its a grind on the way out but comming back has never been an issue with following seas.

vipertom1970

Oct 26, 2015
Inland Empire
Name
tom
Boat
2018 Parker 2320 SL
I will be heading out to Tanner and Cortez on my Parker 2320, launching out from Dana Point and planning to bring extra 30 gallons. The plan is to head out and rest at Pyramid at night then head out to Tanner in the morning.

I assume it will be 210 miles round trip including trolling at 1.4 MPG

Last edited:

Big_Tuna_

Aug 3, 2017
San Diego
Name
David
Boat
Hobie Tandem Island
I will be heading out to Tanner and Cortez on my Parker 2320, launching out from Dana Point and planning to bring extra 30 gallons. The plan is to head out and rest at Pyramid at night then head out to Tanner in the morning.

I assume it will be 210 miles round trip including trolling at 1.4 MPG
Trolling at 1.4MPG, how do you manage to get such poor mpg

Reactions: eddie8157

THE GRAYS

Oct 20, 2006
Redlands
Name
The Grays
Boat
2021 Parker 2320
I believe that was accounting everything. Trolling, cruising, etc. Full trip
I agree, Vipertom is saying he is averaging 1.4 MPG for the entire trip, trolling. We average about 1.5 when fully loaded and he has a similar setup.

THE GRAYS

Oct 20, 2006
Redlands
Name
The Grays
Boat
2021 Parker 2320
If everyone would like we could set up a group of boats to all go together buddy boating is the best way for smaller boats. I have. 25 Hydra sport on a calm day we can cruse at 28 to 30 and burn 17 to 18 gph. We have a 195 gal. Tank but if we can't cruse 25 or more we burn about 19 gph at 20 to 25mph fuel is an issue so our solution since we will not carry live bait we will put a fuel bladder in the bait tank and carry about 30 to 40 gallons extra. Hopefully that should be enough its a 230 mile RT plus any moving around you need to do. so its still cutting it close.
I fished SCI earlier this season and when carring 250 300# of ice and full fuel, food, tackle ect.. its a grind on the way out but comming back has never been an issue with following seas.
Buddy boating would be awesome on the perfect weather day. Weather can make our fuel last so much longer. Great idea of putting the extra gas in the bait tank, what kind of bladder do you have? We have a 65 gallon bait tank by Blue Water.

Big_Tuna_

Aug 3, 2017
San Diego
Name
David
Boat
Hobie Tandem Island
I agree, Vipertom is saying he is averaging 1.4 MPG for the entire trip, trolling. We average about 1.5 when fully loaded and he has a similar setup.
But what would get the average down to 1.4 on a 200 mile trip? Idling? Haha guess I still don't follow. We get 1.8mpg worse case at cruise speed and 3mpg trolling at 7-8mph.

THE GRAYS

Oct 20, 2006
Redlands
Name
The Grays
Boat
2021 Parker 2320
But what would get the average down to 1.4 on a 200 mile trip? Idling? Haha guess I still don't follow. We get 1.8mpg worse case at cruise speed and 3mpg trolling at 7-8mph.
It is all about the weather and uphill fight on the way out for us. Sometimes the reading on our Yamaha gauge goes down to 1.2 MPG when heading out and swells are at a shorter period. Then on the way back, downhill, we get 2.1 if nice weather, no wind. Last week we averaged 2 MPG all due to weather, it was great weather both ways. Trip prior we were closer to 1.2-1.6 fighting swell and wind most of the time.
We are usually traveling with full tank of 137 gallons, sleeping gear for 4, tons of fishing gear, 65 gallons for bait tank, oversized tower (which we are sure creates drag), 4 adult size people, ice, drinks and food for 4, etc.

vipertom1970

Oct 26, 2015
Inland Empire
Name
tom
Boat
2018 Parker 2320 SL
Trolling at 1.4MPG, how do you manage to get such poor mpg
Average for the whole trip seems to be 1.4 MPG. My 2320 is loaded with very heavy big Penn International gear combo, 180# ice, 4 guys plus the tower.

I use 1.4 MPG just to be on a safe side to figure how much gas I will need.

Reel 007

Jun 12, 2006
Glendora Ca
Name
Leon
Boat
28 Wellcraft Coastal "vagabond'
here is a few tricks to keep weight down, all your drinking water 16 oz bottles, freeze them let that be your ice chest ice, use a kill bag, fill all your 1 gallon milk container (lots of them) with water, freeze them and fill your kill bag, ice will last a lot longer than loose ice, displace ice in kill bag with fish, put the ones you take out someplace out of the sun you may need them later,
Good luck guys.

SouthBayKiller

Mar 27, 2003
Long Beach, CA
Name
Robert
Boat
none
Overnight at the island if it’s too rough to anchor up on the bank (assuming you have the ground tackle for this). Fuel bladder is your best friend. We have done Cortez on my buddies Henriques, was a haul and we overnighted out there, it was good by Cortez standards. ~10kts of wind and some well spaced swells, but about as nasty a sleepless night as I would ever want to spend on a small boat on the hook 100 miles offshore again.

THE GRAYS

Oct 20, 2006
Redlands
Name
The Grays
Boat
2021 Parker 2320
here is a few tricks to keep weight down, all your drinking water 16 oz bottles, freeze them let that be your ice chest ice, use a kill bag, fill all your 1 gallon milk container (lots of them) with water, freeze them and fill your kill bag, ice will last a lot longer than loose ice, displace ice in kill bag with fish, put the ones you take out someplace out of the sun you may need them later,
Good luck guys.
We only use bottles for "ice" plus when they melt you have more drinking water. I guess when we say ice we should say 5-10 one gallon frozen bottles of water and 24 16 oz bottles. Too expensive and inconvenient to worry about ice every trip. The water bottles last 3-4 days in our back fish box, then we move them to kill bag when we are lucky enough to need the kill bag. :-)

Reactions: strackle99

THE GRAYS

Oct 20, 2006
Redlands
Name
The Grays
Boat
2021 Parker 2320
Overnight at the island if it’s too rough to anchor up on the bank (assuming you have the ground tackle for this). Fuel bladder is your best friend. We have done Cortez on my buddies Henriques, was a haul and we overnighted out there, it was good by Cortez standards. ~10kts of wind and some well spaced swells, but about as nasty a sleepless night as I would ever want to spend on a small boat on the hook 100 miles offshore again.
Sounds like overnight at the island is a much better option. Anchoring up is always makes for a sleep a-lot-less night. Looking into fuel bladders.

998R

May 22, 2008
san diego
Name
M
Boat
Blue Monkey, BM2
Sounds like overnight at the island is a much better option. Anchoring up is always makes for a sleep a-lot-less night. Looking into fuel bladders.
Just purchased a atl fuelocker 50gallon bladder, have limited space compared to a Parker deck.

Going next Thursday..

SouthBayKiller

Mar 27, 2003
Long Beach, CA
Name
Robert
Boat
none
Just depends on the weather, have been out at Cortez on a sport boat where you could have slept on a kayak and the trip I mentioned above was pretty crappy, but totally doable, just uncomfortable. When you get West of Clemente a few miles it can be a very different ocean outside the shadow of Point Conception.

Fuel Bladders are great, just put them on the deck on the run out. When you have used enough fuel just empty the bladder and fold them up and store them out of the way.

998R

May 22, 2008
san diego
Name
M
Boat
Blue Monkey, BM2
Average for the whole trip seems to be 1.4 MPG. My 2320 is loaded with very heavy big Penn International gear combo, 180# ice, 4 guys plus the tower.

I use 1.4 MPG just to be on a safe side to figure how much gas I will need.
180# of ice is enough? I’ve been taking 800# of ice. $7 for a 50lb crushed ice @ SDice

Canvas Man

Feb 6, 2008
San Diego
Name
Ken
Boat
25' Hydro Sport
I buy ice from Restaurant Depot 20# 1.83$
Ice chests work much better then a kill bag I keep all the ice in them and the bag folded up or as flat as I can in the cabin or flat on top of the hard top tied down of corse. I also put small amount of dry ice in each cooler will keep your ice from melting . Also use some rock salt in the ice when adding it to the fish will make a little ice go farther. And on a small boat I wouldn't take more then 3 people some times there is just not enough room and someone draws the short stick and goes the next trip. That alone will give you more room and less weight .., tackle and body take a 200lb person off and you can add 200 lbs of ice or fuel.

THE GRAYS

Oct 20, 2006
Redlands
Name
The Grays
Boat
2021 Parker 2320