MESSY JESSE

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Jul 24, 2019
South Bay
Name
JESSE
Boat
DELITA
Was a Wennnsday actually but like, whatever, man. A buddy hit me up saying bluefin were back within the local fleet range(for us, at least)so we booked a couple spots on the Freedom departing Tuesday night out of 22nd St. "Peedro". Right off the bat Captain Tino got straight to the point and suggested we hit up Clemente for a good chance at a boatload of solid grade yellows. He also gave us the option of making the long run to Tanner for a crapshoot at tuna but explained although the counts showed they had managed some the prior couple days, it was far from easy pickings and more of a golden paddy saving the day on the way home type of dealie. Our choice, basically, but no whining if we rolled snakeyes. A quick show of hands and Tanner it was, mostly because a few guys didn't even bother to vote. Fine by me, get to sleep in.

Arrived at 9:30ish as we stopped on a few beautiful big ol' paddies on the way that were void of life. Not packed but a good amount of mostly San Diego sporties and a few PB's as we pulled into the mix. Anchored up and started slowly picking away fairly quickly which was a relief as we only had 3 hours before having to head back. Never really got going but it never entirely slowed either which was probably for the better as, being open party and whatnot, there were a good amount of braided line tangles of clusterfk proportions. I was lucky enough to avoid the Braidy Bunch when I hooked into something solid and managed to turn the corner into the clear. "Whew, that was close" was my thought on over-undering the Braid Brigade towards the bow.

'Twas only the beginning. At the cap' n crews suggestion I dropped down from a 30 to 20# set up and a smaller hook(more on that soon)which was perfect for the vast majority of tuners we were catching to that point but sure enough, I was undergunned here. Not a monster but had some shoulders, definitely not a schoolie. Pretty much at its mercy on my Sealine 20 and matching rated rod, basically a stalemate with a turn or two here and there if I was lucky. Thankfully it fought fairly sluggish after one good run so now it was just a waiting game as the minutes ticked off. Who knows, I'd say 20 minutes or so before finally getting it to deep color and even then it took forever to slowly death circle its way up. About five or six "One more turn"s later when it was allllmost there and POP! Hook flies out, rod boings limp and I'm literally starting to walk away cussing when I look back and deckhand Jason lunges with a Hail Mary gaff. Boom! Sticks it! Wish I had a Go Pro to share the moment but I'll never forget that visual. I'm thinking the fish was so damn dead tired it didn't immediately rocket off into the abyss but either way Jason's Scuba Steve spear-gaff was bad as hell. Tino saw the whole event unfold and hollers in his booming voice "You better tip that man good!" Yes, sir. Yessir, indeed.

1602796374923.png

1602797120569.png

Not only did I switch to a smaller hook, I switched to a knock off brand. Long story short, a new tackle shop that shall remain nameless was out of the tried and true brands that I normally use(shameless plug; Mustad!) so I bought this other brand I'd never seen before that too shall remain nameless. Not trying to hurt anybody's cash flow so I'll just leave it at that. And this: Don't skimp on hooks when tuna fishing. They worked fine on football YFT, rat yellows and small dorado when I used them a few weeks back down South but... Well, yeah.

1602797508365.png

For scale: We boated 3 or 4 bigger grade but mostly sub-20 models. I believe we ended up with 22 total for 28 anglers. Mine went 42# on the digital hand scale after being bled and gilled. I'll take it. Better than nothing as it very closely almost was.

Big ups to Captain Tino and the crew of the Freedom. Blair and Jason had their work cut out for them yesterday but kept calm and helped overcome some gnarly tangles courtesy of some shit for brains braid bros. Thankfully my biggun' held up for jackpot so after clearing my galley tab it was a pleasure giving it back to the boys for that epic gaff job and overall hard work. Thanks for reading and tight lines. *Might* jump on a 2 day in a few weeks but more than likely it's hoopin' and a couple freezer filler rockfish trips to close the year. Peace

Last edited:

MESSY JESSE

Jul 24, 2019
South Bay
Name
JESSE
Boat
DELITA
More impressive was one dude who had to battle the braid maze from hell to boat his bigger model bluefin(looking back there were 4 of the larger variety and his was the 3rd biggest). Right after the hookset he had some white braid twisted up on his line and managed to get free before getting tag teamed by another white braid bad boy plus some neon green for good measure. Tino was working the deck at that time and said "Bluck it!" and cut them both off. Saved the best for last as the final boss was some rainbow braid on the tail end of his battle running back and forth. I salute you, good sir, you're far more noble(and much more patient)than I...
LOL

djennings

Jun 17, 2006
Huntington beach
Name
David Jennings
Boat
Arima sea angler 19 "NEW DAY RISING"
Love the guy w/ 100 yards of colored braid out of his spool and his Sardine is hunkered down on the corner of the stern. Clueless! Happens on Long Range trips too! Landing Tuners isn't shooting fish in a barrel.

PharmDoc

Master of MyTunaverse
Aug 27, 2012
Albany/OR/USA
Name
Aaron
Boat
World Cat 270EC: The Millennium Flounder
Great write-up, and a happy ending! Nice score on 20! I’ll be the one to say it...matzuo hooks suck! Stay with what you know. Not a place to cut costs!

• Wow
Reactions: MESSY JESSE

surfgoose

active geezer
Jul 29, 2010
Long Beach, CA, USA
Name
Gary
Boat
whichever has the longest bunk
Congrats on a great fight and a nice report! I have to say, it always surprises me when people will spend hundreds and hundreds of dollars to go fishing, and HOOKS is where they try to save a buck! That picture of the end-of-fight hook is an excellent lesson.

MESSY JESSE

Jul 24, 2019
South Bay
Name
JESSE
Boat
DELITA
Congrats on a great fight and a nice report! I have to say, it always surprises me when people will spend hundreds and hundreds of dollars to go fishing, and HOOKS is where they try to save a buck! That picture of the end-of-fight hook is an excellent lesson.
Almost got taught a very painful lesson but nevermore . I don't even know why I bought those damn hooks as my buddy would've let me use whatever I needed. I'll be sticking with the big, reputable brands from now on.

surfgoose

active geezer
Jul 29, 2010
Long Beach, CA, USA
Name
Gary
Boat
whichever has the longest bunk
I haven't found a better hook to hold strong fish on light line than the #4 Owner Mutu circle hook. I wish they were not so expensive, but in the big picture they are well worth it. And I never re-use them, either, although I'm sure they would be strong enough. Never as sharp as the first time.

DenisRuso

Fresh One
Aug 21, 2017
Los Angeles
Name
Denis
Boat
Hobie
Ha! Congrats on the fish, saw that gaff save out of the corner of my eye. (Thats me in the Background of your first picture.) That deckie landed that hail mary gaff like it was nothing.

lougio

Capt Lou
Jul 19, 2014
La Mesa, CA
Name
Lou
Boat
'03 Parker 2520 Louie-Lui II
Wow, that's some good luck there. Good for you and the crew. Nice work!

bdogie1

May 27, 2015
Name
Brandon
Boat
getsome
I love the Freedom and Capt. Tino and the crew sweetest local overnight boat around!!

Last edited:

MESSY JESSE

Jul 24, 2019
South Bay
Name
JESSE
Boat
DELITA
I love the Freedom and Capt. Tino and the crew sweets local boat around!!
Damn, just saw your report. You guys got into a much nicer grade than us. Agreed on the Freedom, definitely the crown jewel of the 22nd St. fleet. Cap Tino works hard to get you on the meat and B Hussle and the boys are a top notch crew.

Reactions: Rocket Dog

1steveT

Nov 22, 2010
Carp, CA, USA
Name
Steve T.
Boat
soon2B
Congrats on the nice BFT!
I was out there on the Royal Star last Sun-Mon-part of Tue.
Same deal, had to drop down to 30# or less and small hook to get bit, most of us ended up with our limits of the 30-40# models.
A lost group of YFT made its way through and I got one @71# on the 30# rig, damn thing wore me out! Took 45 mins and around the boat twice.

Reactions: solid72