Advertiser
Advertiser
Jul 23, 2012
San Diego, CA USA
Name
Matt
Boat
N/A
This report covers a 3 day trip on the Searcher. The boat left on Friday 9/3 at 11 AM. We fished the fist day trying to target local YFT but with no luck. So we headed towards Tanner bank and were there in the morning, along with the Pacific Queen, Islander, Royal Polaris, American Angler and few other boats. The larger BFT were there if you could find them and tolerate the 15-20 knt winds and 3-8 ft. seas. The kite produced an approximate 200 lb. BFT on Saturday morning. A 45 lb. BFT was landed via a fly-lined sardine later in the morning. Another BFT was hooked early afternoon but not landed. We moved around the bank and jigged Saturday night scoring a few more BFT in the 80 – 175 lb. range with a few lost fish. Glow flat fall vs. non-glowing knife jigs did not make a difference. Fished were hooked on both. Sunday we moved to the NE corner off San Clemente Island for a much better weather and a steady all-day pick of Yellowtail, which picked up with a change in current. Ended Saturday on the East side of San Clemente looking for schools of YT. Landed one but otherwise hooked mostly bonito. Had a pleasant dinner on the East side before heading back about 8 PM Sunday.

The fishing was difficult due to the weather with 15-20 knt winds and seas up to I’d say close to 8’ swells. Choppy and some white caps during the mid-day hours. I needed some sleep Saturday night so chose to only jig after 3 AM Monday morning and if the weather was better (which it was). The guys who stayed up and jigged from 9 – 2 AM hooked around a dozen BFT and landed a few of them and lost a few, with the biggest landed around 175 lbs. Those guys deserve it for staying up and dealing with the weather. By the time I was ready at 3 AM nobody was fishing and the move was underway to San Clemente.

*** Friday Afternoon / Evening ***
Left at 11 AM Friday with a load of about 30 people. Picked up bait at the receiver, had a good lunch and motored out about 40 miles to a potential YFT area. There were not significant signs of fish so the move was made to head towards Tanner Bank.

*** Saturday: Sunrise to Sunset ***
We were already at Tanner Bank at before greylight and anchored. It was windy and seas typically 3-5’ in the morning, which got worse as they day went on. I hooked and landed two YT about 20-25 lbs. each in the morning on the dropper loop. A few others were also landed, mostly on dropper loops or rubber-banded sinker rig. A few YT were lost to the rocks. Naturally, a few sheephead and rockfish were caught as bycatch. I kept a couple of 6 lb. sheephead. The YT and BFT were definitely around. It was a matter of getting away from the boat, selecting a good bait and keeping in contact with it --- but that’s always the case. I caught my second YT on a sardine fly-lined on 60 lb. line, 1/0 owner circle hook and my two speed reel. Overkill perhaps, but I saw too many fish lost to the rocks so put hard pressure when I hooked up.

I did not hook any BFT. I attempted to work the water column with a dropper loops lowering it about 20 feet at a time to hit the BFT depth zone. Didn’t work and eventually hit the bottom and succumbed to the temptation to pick off a few sheephead just so I could pull on something.

The kite went up as the other boats in the area were doing. We produced a nice 200 lb. (approx.. BFT) on the kite pretty quickly but that would be the only kite BFT of the day. The last BFT of the day was a 45 lb. fish caught on straight 50 lb. mono. As the YT and BFT bite slowed after noon we move to another part of the Tanner bank for not much luck. At that point, we moved back closer towards our original area, ate dinner and waiting out the weather. The weather did subside a little bit making it tolerable to night fish. Not comfortable, but tolerable. The seas came down some from earlier in the day. I choose to hit the bed and get some sleep and fish at 3 AM if they were still biting.

The guys who fished the evening were rewarded with a few hook-ups and a few landed for their efforts. However, everyone was done by 3 AM and the move began to San Clemente.

*** Sunday: Sunrise to Sunset ***
We traveled from South to North on the East side of San Clemente Island. No good signs of YT so we ended up on a spot off the NE corner of the island, anchored and scratched out some YT in the morning. The current changed to our advantage later in the morning and we fished until about 5:30 PM for a steady pick of 20 – 25 lb. YT, mainly on flylined baits. The weather was much better (but still not great) and I think most folks were ok with the move to San Clemente. It was a very solid pick and we were the first boat there.

*** Bait ***
4-5” sardines. Good quality and lasted and were effective for YT fishing at San Clemente. I think the bait would have been beaten-up had we stayed at Tanner. Kind of glad we moved to San Clemente as our bait was in good shape and not beaten-up.

*** Weather ***
Friday and Saturday has winds ranging from about 15 – 20 kt out of the W and NW. Seas 3 – 8’ depending on time of day. Chop and whitecaps.

*** Grade of Fish ***
YT: 20 - 25 lbs
BFT: 45-approxl 200 lbs, most in the 130 – 170 range.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
----- OTHER NOTES ------------------------------------------------------------------
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The Crew, Captain and Passengers
- The captain did a great job fishing as hard as possible and giving us every opportunity to fish out each day and evening. I’ll be back. They worked really hard and stayed up at all hours.

*** My Gear ***
- 25 lb: Super Seeker 270H + Trinidad 14A (30 lb spectra + 25 lb. Izor XXX mono topshot) – used to catch bonito we ran into on the East side of San Clemente.
- 30 lb: CalStar 800ML + Seagate 30H (40 lb spectra + 30 lb Izor XXX mono) (rarely used it)
- 30 lb: CalStar 800ML + Torium 30 (40 lb spectra + 30 lb Izor XXX mono) (lost a YT on it, disappointed on how the drags tends to back off – going back to using my Penn Baja Special). I did land three YT on this reel, but it could have been four.
- 60 lb: Seeker Hercules SHS70H-7 + Accurate DPX2-500 (65 lb spectra + 60 lb JAK wind-on)
- 100 lb: super seeker CTSF 63XXH, Penn Int. 20T 2 speed Cal Sheets converted
Used it to drop jigs Tuesday night / Wednesday morning.

*** Knots ***
Bimini to worm knot for all spectra-to-mono connections.
Loop-to-loop connection for all bimini / wind-on connections.
Spangler for mono-to-hook knots. I chose not to use any fluorocarbon this trip or palomar knots after testing each and find the spangler to be stronger (at least for me).

Here’s some pictures…

I also posted a video on YT if you want to see the rockfish action on the bank or just how many fish were around the kelp structure off San Clemente.

1630978784600.jpeg

1630978809310.jpeg

1630978830654.png

1630978855067.png

1630978872291.png

TOTW

Time On The Water
Dec 23, 2005
San Diego
Name
Chris L
Boat
Leo's
Thanks for taking the time to report, Matt! We were out there just ahead of the weekend blow with similar fishing. One goofball was able to squeeze a limit on the bft while we were anchored.

Upvote 0

Tautog_17

Advertiser
Advertiser
Jul 23, 2012
San Diego, CA USA
Name
Matt
Boat
N/A
I like that Spangler knot, what is the heaviest mono/flouro you will use it on?

Thx
So far, I've only used it on 50 lb. Fluoro, but I am going to try it on 80 lb and 100 lb mono. I have a machine I can use to test knot strengths and I'm looking at different mono and fluoro right now comparing the spangler to the Palomar.

Reactions: Errin
Upvote 0

Paul Ward

I Should Upgrade My Account
Jul 17, 2007
Costa Mesa
Name
wooddog
Boat
Boaty
This report covers a 3 day trip on the Searcher. The boat left on Friday 9/3 at 11 AM. We fished the fist day trying to target local YFT but with no luck. So we headed towards Tanner bank and were there in the morning, along with the Pacific Queen, Islander, Royal Polaris, American Angler and few other boats. The larger BFT were there if you could find them and tolerate the 15-20 knt winds and 3-8 ft. seas. The kite produced an approximate 200 lb. BFT on Saturday morning. A 45 lb. BFT was landed via a fly-lined sardine later in the morning. Another BFT was hooked early afternoon but not landed. We moved around the bank and jigged Saturday night scoring a few more BFT in the 80 – 175 lb. range with a few lost fish. Glow flat fall vs. non-glowing knife jigs did not make a difference. Fished were hooked on both. Sunday we moved to the NE corner off San Clemente Island for a much better weather and a steady all-day pick of Yellowtail, which picked up with a change in current. Ended Saturday on the East side of San Clemente looking for schools of YT. Landed one but otherwise hooked mostly bonito. Had a pleasant dinner on the East side before heading back about 8 PM Sunday.

The fishing was difficult due to the weather with 15-20 knt winds and seas up to I’d say close to 8’ swells. Choppy and some white caps during the mid-day hours. I needed some sleep Saturday night so chose to only jig after 3 AM Monday morning and if the weather was better (which it was). The guys who stayed up and jigged from 9 – 2 AM hooked around a dozen BFT and landed a few of them and lost a few, with the biggest landed around 175 lbs. Those guys deserve it for staying up and dealing with the weather. By the time I was ready at 3 AM nobody was fishing and the move was underway to San Clemente.

*** Friday Afternoon / Evening ***
Left at 11 AM Friday with a load of about 30 people. Picked up bait at the receiver, had a good lunch and motored out about 40 miles to a potential YFT area. There were not significant signs of fish so the move was made to head towards Tanner Bank.

*** Saturday: Sunrise to Sunset ***
We were already at Tanner Bank at before greylight and anchored. It was windy and seas typically 3-5’ in the morning, which got worse as they day went on. I hooked and landed two YT about 20-25 lbs. each in the morning on the dropper loop. A few others were also landed, mostly on dropper loops or rubber-banded sinker rig. A few YT were lost to the rocks. Naturally, a few sheephead and rockfish were caught as bycatch. I kept a couple of 6 lb. sheephead. The YT and BFT were definitely around. It was a matter of getting away from the boat, selecting a good bait and keeping in contact with it --- but that’s always the case. I caught my second YT on a sardine fly-lined on 60 lb. line, 1/0 owner circle hook and my two speed reel. Overkill perhaps, but I saw too many fish lost to the rocks so put hard pressure when I hooked up.

I did not hook any BFT. I attempted to work the water column with a dropper loops lowering it about 20 feet at a time to hit the BFT depth zone. Didn’t work and eventually hit the bottom and succumbed to the temptation to pick off a few sheephead just so I could pull on something.

The kite went up as the other boats in the area were doing. We produced a nice 200 lb. (approx.. BFT) on the kite pretty quickly but that would be the only kite BFT of the day. The last BFT of the day was a 45 lb. fish caught on straight 50 lb. mono. As the YT and BFT bite slowed after noon we move to another part of the Tanner bank for not much luck. At that point, we moved back closer towards our original area, ate dinner and waiting out the weather. The weather did subside a little bit making it tolerable to night fish. Not comfortable, but tolerable. The seas came down some from earlier in the day. I choose to hit the bed and get some sleep and fish at 3 AM if they were still biting.

The guys who fished the evening were rewarded with a few hook-ups and a few landed for their efforts. However, everyone was done by 3 AM and the move began to San Clemente.

*** Sunday: Sunrise to Sunset ***
We traveled from South to North on the East side of San Clemente Island. No good signs of YT so we ended up on a spot off the NE corner of the island, anchored and scratched out some YT in the morning. The current changed to our advantage later in the morning and we fished until about 5:30 PM for a steady pick of 20 – 25 lb. YT, mainly on flylined baits. The weather was much better (but still not great) and I think most folks were ok with the move to San Clemente. It was a very solid pick and we were the first boat there.

*** Bait ***
4-5” sardines. Good quality and lasted and were effective for YT fishing at San Clemente. I think the bait would have been beaten-up had we stayed at Tanner. Kind of glad we moved to San Clemente as our bait was in good shape and not beaten-up.

*** Weather ***
Friday and Saturday has winds ranging from about 15 – 20 kt out of the W and NW. Seas 3 – 8’ depending on time of day. Chop and whitecaps.

*** Grade of Fish ***
YT: 20 - 25 lbs
BFT: 45-approxl 200 lbs, most in the 130 – 170 range.

----- OTHER NOTES ------------------------------------------------------------------
The Crew, Captain and Passengers
- The captain did a great job fishing as hard as possible and giving us every opportunity to fish out each day and evening. I’ll be back. They worked really hard and stayed up at all hours.

*** My Gear ***
- 25 lb: Super Seeker 270H + Trinidad 14A (30 lb spectra + 25 lb. Izor XXX mono topshot) – used to catch bonito we ran into on the East side of San Clemente.
- 30 lb: CalStar 800ML + Seagate 30H (40 lb spectra + 30 lb Izor XXX mono) (rarely used it)
- 30 lb: CalStar 800ML + Torium 30 (40 lb spectra + 30 lb Izor XXX mono) (lost a YT on it, disappointed on how the drags tends to back off – going back to using my Penn Baja Special). I did land three YT on this reel, but it could have been four.
- 60 lb: Seeker Hercules SHS70H-7 + Accurate DPX2-500 (65 lb spectra + 60 lb JAK wind-on)
- 100 lb: super seeker CTSF 63XXH, Penn Int. 20T 2 speed Cal Sheets converted
Used it to drop jigs Tuesday night / Wednesday morning.

*** Knots ***
Bimini to worm knot for all spectra-to-mono connections.
Loop-to-loop connection for all bimini / wind-on connections.
Spangler for mono-to-hook knots. I chose not to use any fluorocarbon this trip or palomar knots after testing each and find the spangler to be stronger (at least for me).

Here’s some pictures…

I also posted a video on YT if you want to see the rockfish action on the bank or just how many fish were around the kelp structure off San Clemente.

View attachment 1316378

View attachment 1316379

View attachment 1316380

View attachment 1316383

View attachment 1316384
Super good report . Great pics!

Upvote 0