Offshore Tanner 11.7 ... Empty

tbev

Dec 21, 2017
SoCal
Name
tom
Boat Name
Skipjack 24 Fly
Been trying to get tech support from Simrad to get my fuel flow sensor working for about two weeks now and it hasn't happened. I thought we could make it there and back if we didn't do too much running around out there so we headed out Saturday from Dana Landing. Water was cold and ugly until 3\4 of the way there or so, then it got blue, not the blue you really want but more blue than green 64-62 all the way. The swell was a pretty big 6ft at 10 seconds, something like that. It got a little bigger Sunday with an increase in cross chop like the reports said but it was about as much as I like in a 24 Skippy.
Lots of good looking kelp all the way out there and back but nothing but a single small yellowtail on any of them. Knowing we were tight on fuel we ran out to the North West end of the bank for the night. We drifted about 7 miles during the night, we were the only boat in sight from Sat night to Sunday afternoon when we headed back. We drifted the whole bank and that's about it. I spend 4-6 hours in the binos and didn't see any birds or much of anything else. Scattered bait on the meter but that's it. We made great time there and back considering the conditions, the boat ran great which is really what I was concerned with. I'm assuming it was due to the previous week's conditions that nobody else was excited enough to make the run. Hopefully it cleans up and there is a little left in the tank for this season but it sure didn't look like it to me.

K-Dogg
K-Dogg
Great report (the good, the bad and the ugly)... Thanks for keeping it real!

The worst day fishing is better than the best day working!
Reactions: tbev
Upvote 0

Paul Ward

I Should Upgrade My Account
Jul 17, 2007
Costa Mesa
Name
wooddog
Boat Name
Boaty
Been trying to get tech support from Simrad to get my fuel flow sensor working for about two weeks now and it hasn't happened. I thought we could make it there and back if we didn't do too much running around out there so we headed out Saturday from Dana Landing. Water was cold and ugly until 3\4 of the way there or so, then it got blue, not the blue you really want but more blue than green 64-62 all the way. The swell was a pretty big 6ft at 10 seconds, something like that. It got a little bigger Sunday with an increase in cross chop like the reports said but it was about as much as I like in a 24 Skippy.
Lots of good looking kelp all the way out there and back but nothing but a single small yellowtail on any of them. Knowing we were tight on fuel we ran out to the North West end of the bank for the night. We drifted about 7 miles during the night, we were the only boat in sight from Sat night to Sunday afternoon when we headed back. We drifted the whole bank and that's about it. I spend 4-6 hours in the binos and didn't see any birds or much of anything else. Scattered bait on the meter but that's it. We made great time there and back considering the conditions, the boat ran great which is really what I was concerned with. I'm assuming it was due to the previous week's conditions that nobody else was excited enough to make the run. Hopefully it cleans up and there is a little left in the tank for this season but it sure didn't look like it to me.
Thanks for the report.would love to get out there 1 more time but not sure if it's worth it.Just when you think it's over they start biting again

Upvote 0

blubby07

Aug 24, 2009
Oceanside Ca
Name
Josh
Boat Name
2320 Parker
My Buddys just got back yesterday 11-8 from a 2.5 and did pretty good, they said the new loan was out there with them and they limited.
I don't think these fish are going anywhere

Reactions: Sawmill killer
Upvote 0

blubby07

Aug 24, 2009
Oceanside Ca
Name
Josh
Boat Name
2320 Parker
This was my first trip out there, it's pretty cool to finally get out that far on a boat I've been building for a few years now. I'd rather be on the water than working on a boat that's for sure. Thanks guys .
I wish I had the range on my 2320 but its a little too tight for me congrats on getting out there!

Upvote 0

Mr Main22

Shoot em & cook em
Apr 18, 2014
Open Ocean
Name
BajaLifeStyle
Boat Name
Parker 21
Understand your limited on fuel

But simply drifting through an area won't find any fish. It's normal to putt around for a few hours to find the concentration of fish.

Upvote 0

SDWaterman

Waterman
Apr 28, 2006
San Diego
Name
Chris
Boat Name
Paddle board
I just got in this morning from a 3 day on the shogun, we felt your pain too, the tanner/Cortez were empty that day. The boat only got 3 bft the whole time. We finished up at the butterfly, lots of fish there but no biters. We literally missed that good bite by a day…go figure

Upvote 0

Bend Session

I Should Upgrade My Account
  • Jan 3, 2017
    COSTA MESA
    Name
    SEAWOLF
    Boat Name
    JACK COLE SPECIAL
    6 ft at 10 sec in your 24 skippy 90 miles off shore in the dark? - Brah, thats a "win" right there in it self!

How much fuel did you burn? and how long did it take you to get there?

Upvote 0

tbev

Dec 21, 2017
    SoCal
    Name
    tom
    Boat Name
    Skipjack 24 Fly
    6 ft at 10 sec in your 24 skippy 90 miles off shore in the dark? - Brah, thats a "win" right there in it self!

How much fuel did you burn? and how long did it take you to get there?
    Thanks brother! I've been building this boat to get me to the backside of Clemente, for a few years now.. Missing out on a lot of fishing during. When everyone gave up on SCI this season I wasn't sure about heading to Tanner so we hit SCI first on our second trip out. Ran up the backside like a champ, I was stoked. Last week I was studying the weather hard, (I took a pass on the previous weekend which turned out to be beautiful) so this last weekend we decided to see if we could make it.
    After we made the 200 mile trip from home to Dana Landing we launched late, we launched around 11am I believe. The swell was every bit of 6ft for the last 40miles, but it was a long period so it wasn't terrible but it was right on the bow all the way out. We landed in the bank a couple hours after dark.
    On the way back we did really well imo, we kept the boat from slapping and averaged over 20mph on the trip, almost 100 miles exactly. We ran the last five or so miles at 35 mph. We're still testing props so I put the throttle down all the way when we approached the inlet and hit 46 mph. We're still a little over propped, we were running a 16in 19P, 4 blade from Hill Marine on this trip. We have 109 gallon capacity, I'm hoping we have 20gal left, I think we have about 15 left, but I'm going to drain the tank and find out for sure. Simrad has shit tech support so not only is my b175hw sketchy and my Autopilot non functional but my fuel flow sensor is not calibrated so I can't comment for sure regarding mileage. I'll post some screen shots of the trip Intel, the fuel mileage is not accurate in the shots.

Thanks bud, I appreciate the kind words.

20211110_125910.jpg

20211110_125835.jpg

Upvote 0