Talon anchor and 9.9 kicker too much weight?

Glide99

Jan 26, 2020
Indiana
Name
Jeffrey Matson
Boat
Lowe FM 165 SC Pro
Hello. I was writing up a boat purchase with a Crestliner dealer at the Milwaukee Boat Show. It's a 2019 175 Pro Tiller with a 90 Mercury. I added a 9.9 kicker and a 10 ft Talon anchor in the write up, but one of their techs told me that having the Talon and the kicker on it would be too much weight. He said it's a 30 mph boat, but would be a 20 mph boat with all the extra weight and would make the boat sit too low in the stearn on the water. The other issue is that it has a boarding ladder which would have to be removed to make room for the Talon. Not thrilled with having a bunch of holes in the transom. Has anyone dealt with anything similar to this, or is anyone running a similar setup? Thanks in advance.

Long Beach Bob

Well-Known "Member"
May 13, 2004
Long Beach and points due west
Name
Bob Ballew
Boat
2520 Parker with twin 200 Yamahas
...Without a pic, it is guesswork but, assuming you have the anchor in the stern, then, the anchor should always be up in the bow on a small boat. Building swells from wind can flood over the flat surface of the stern and sink your boat...add the weight of the kicker plus occupants and the low freeboard is an accident waiting to happen.
...If you aren't fishing with the kicker, perhaps store it more foreward until needed. Sounds like some experimenting with weight shifting is called for to find the correct safe balance...also, a 17' won't need more than a 12- 14 lb. anchor...a long anchor chain is the key to keeping any anchor hooked into the bottom..usually, the length of the boat plus at least 5' extra should do the trick..

Last edited:

One_Leg

Ret. Comm. Diver/Medic
May 11, 2007
You're mined!
www.csicop.org
Name
Alan
Boat
1967 Cobia Cuddy Cabin/Evinrude Looper
The tech sounds concerned about your desires.

Are you determined to use the Talon?

Would you be open to using a trolling motor with spot lock capability instead?

Glide99

Jan 26, 2020
Indiana
Name
Jeffrey Matson
Boat
Lowe FM 165 SC Pro
Thanks for the replies.

The Talon is a shallow water anchor that has a rod that shoots down into the bottom. I added a spot lock trolling motor as well. The combination is ideal for the types of fishing we do.

The kicker idea is for some trolling and for use on 10 mph limited lakes near where I bass fish. Also, as an emergency back up.

I was told by some others that I really don't need the kicker with the 90 hp and big tiller handle that has the rpm adjuster on it. They say it can get down to 1.5 or 2 mph.

So, I'm considering ditching the kicker. I think the Talon mounted to the stearn and without the kicker, the weight should be ok.

Have to call the dealer and make the changes. Save a little money as well.

Reactions: One_Leg