Talica or Trinidad?

Discussion in 'Shimano Fishing Gear' started by DEGBTI, Nov 8, 2016.

1. DEGBTI

DEGBTI Member

Name:
    dennis
    Boat:
    204 Angler CC
    I have been using a Lexa 400 the last couple weeks fishing locally, out of san diego, for yft. I hooked up and lost one after about an hour battle on the Lexa. Also finally put one on the boat after about a half an hour battle. Both on 65 spectra and a 25lbs top shot floro. Both time I was almost spooled and just couldn't power them in. When I did finally see color it was maybe a 20 lbs fish! I think the one I lost, pulled hook, would have been a better chance had I been using a stronger reel.

So, for a live bait set up for these 20 to 50 lbs YFT, what is best? I am thinking a Trinidad 16A or talica 12? Do I really need a 2 speed? Have a Talica 8 now, want something more powerful. Think of using 65 max and short floro leader. Most likely a 7'6' rod.

thanks

2. jer dog

jer dog Fishing is life

Name:
    Gerry
    Boat:
    One that floats
    I use my 16 A for #25 LB and a #20 A for # 30 and #40
    and another #40 LB, Accurate 2 Speed DPX 500

3. bkaz

bkaz Pharmfisher

Name:
    BKAZ
    Boat:
    None
    How about a trinidad 20? If mostly under 30lbs. Talica 12 is over kill. I use my Trinidad 20 for anything 30 lbs and under; works great. It can handle 40lb. pretty well too. When I start getting into 40 lb plus I will use my Talica 12.

4. hotrail20

hotrail20 Intrepid 200 LB Club

Name:
    Leonard
    Boat:
    Yours
    Light Top shots you can only Pull so hard. So any of the above would be better than a Diawa Lexa

5. Adrien Baker

Adrien Baker Born to get down.

Name:
    Adrien Baker
    Boat:
    Ultra
    TAC12 is generally a 40# class reel in my opinion, but can be fished up or down if needed. What rod are you wanting to pair it with?

Adrien

6. flyliner

flyliner @therealflyliner

Name:
    Jonathan
    Boat:
    31' Cabo Express
    Those are big reels you guys are talking about for this grade of fish.

For that grade, I fish a Trinidad 12 (spooled with 30# power pro), a Trinidad 14 (spooled with 40# power pro), or a Talica 8, spooled with 50# power pro.

If you are consistently catching 40-50 pound fish - talica 8. If mostly 15 to 30 pound tuna, go with the Trinidad 12 or 14.

That's my advice.

Caseman, Mickeyfin and bparker1225 like this.
  7. DEGBTI

DEGBTI Member

Name:
    dennis
    Boat:
    204 Angler CC
    Isn't a trinidad 20 a 40lbs reel? I thought a
    most likely a phenix axis, 780H, 25 to 60lbs

8. DODGERS27

DODGERS27 Member

Name:
    Brandon
    Boat:
    2001 17ft trophy cc
    If u like bigger bait casters go with a shimano tranx

9. 998R

998R Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    M
    Boat:
    Outrage
    Trinidad 16a live bait with a 909h is what I use for cattle boats.

868mh/16a if I fish my outrage. Nice and light!

Last edited: Nov 8, 2016
    Alex400 likes this.
  10. bparker1225

bparker1225 Ocean Addiction

Name:
    Bill Parker
    Boat:
    21' 6" Cabo-Cabo Bill
    I completely agree. The difference between the Trini 12 and 14 is spool width/ capacity as is Tac 8 and 10. All 4 will easily fish up to a 40 pound top shot.

11. 998R

998R Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    M
    Boat:
    Outrage

I disagree with both of you on this. 16a is the better choice for the job on 20-50lb fish. The drags are bigger and stronger. Holds more drag.

For example, in a hot bite. I tend to set my drags a little loose for the first run. Then once i got her slowed down. I crank up the drag and drag her in quick. I was able to put 3 times more fish on the deck using my 16a then my 14a.

I am not a pro by any means. Just learned by using different applications and found what works best for me.

Alex400 and Caseman like this.
  12. hdz805

hdz805 Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    jesus
    Boat:
    Fishkilla
    Penn torque 12 fill it up with 50Lb maxcuatro
    Phenix 809 and you are GOLDEN

Fat Wahoo likes this.
  13. Adrien Baker

Adrien Baker Born to get down.

Name:
    Adrien Baker
    Boat:
    Ultra
    TN20A is a classic 40# reel for surface iron but not necessarily for bait. A lot of jig fisherman like it for its wider spool for mono capacity but it can still cast. Not saying it can't handle it but typically people start to switch to lever drags at the 40# class because of the chance of larger grade fish. Sounds like that rod is probably a good choice for 40# but I'm not familiar with Phenix.

Adrien

14. 998R

998R Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    M
    Boat:
    Outrage
    OP is asking bout the Trinidad or talica. Take that ugly golden reel to penn section.

Caseman and Fishingguy like this.
  15. bparker1225

bparker1225 Ocean Addiction

Name:
    Bill Parker
    Boat:
    21' 6" Cabo-Cabo Bill
    Interesting you are combining both weights of fish to one answer. I also find it curious that you need or more than the 17 pounds of drag than the 14 maxes at or the 20 pounds of drag that the TAC 8 develops. You pull much harder than I.

16. 998R

998R Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    M
    Boat:
    Outrage
    Bill, let's talk about trinidad A's. The 7more lbs of drags makes a huge difference when your on a good bite trying to put fish on the deck that are ranging between 20-50lb fish. Especially when you hook up back to back on the same reel. Drags get hot and you will need to start adjusting to get more out of the reel. I literally was able to get into a grove by tightening up the drag and horsing these fish in a ridiculous time.

I guess I've been lucky in my last 4 trips getting Cali limits on decent size YFT. I have my gear dialed in on what rod, reels and how I have my line set up for what I'm targeting.

Yes, I do pull harder then you if you was to fish that 14 vs my 16;)

17. Bantam1

Bantam1 Shimano Rep Advertiser

Name:
    Dan
    Boat:
    N/A
    If you are fishing 20-25 pound, the 16A isn't an advantage. You are using around 7 pounds of drag, maybe slightly more depending on your line's actual breaking strength. Going to a larger reel with a larger drag surface will not change that. The new cross carbon material doesn't fade with heat. Going to a slightly larger washer will do nothing for you at the lighter settings. You can't pull any harder on a fish when the drag pressure is the same. I see some people are scared to pull hard with 20#. They tend to have the drag set too light to start with. Then you end up with a long battle.

I use the 14A for 20-25# leaders. The 16 is good for 30-50# leaders. The 20A is good for the same. The difference is line capacity. The 20 is just a wide 16 for example. Yes you can go up/down from there, but this is typically what the reels are used for.

For me I will not use a 2 speed reel for anything under 50#. I simply do not see the need in our fishery. There are exceptions for smaller people, people that are not as strong as they used to be, etc.

I like star drag reels for our fishery. They cast better and are lighter in weight. I also bring several rods and reels with me rigged with different leaders. This way I'm covered with 20-50+ pound line depending on the trip and targeted species.

Fat Wahoo, Caseman and bparker1225 like this.
  18. DEGBTI

DEGBTI Member

Name:
    dennis
    Boat:
    204 Angler CC
    thanks guys, I think a 16 with 65lbs Max is going to be my choice. Even for 25 lbs leader. If I had that set up last week I believe I could have got the fish sooner. True, there is no advantage in drag when using 25lbs leader, but, I would have had way more line and the spool would had not been about 3/4" diameter like it was on my Lexa when I was almost spooled several times.

19. 998R

998R Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    M
    Boat:
    Outrage

Sorry Bantam1, I disagree with you on this one.

Between the 14a(10-14a) and 16a (16na-30a). The 16a is a huge advantage on putting more fish on the deck using 25lb line. I will explain why and how.

Here you go ladies.

On my last overnite trip on the Aztec (full load 26) with my brother, we absolutely killed it. We both caught more then our California limit. Kept 18 fish between us, weight was 611lbs after being bleed out the next day. We made sure everyone had 5 to take home for 26 passengers. Me,my brother and a older guy put more then 15 yft on the deck each. These fish ranged from 30-40lbs.

Gear I brought.

(2) 16na's 909h&868mh
    (2)16a's 909h's
    (1)20a 909xh
    (1)30a 909xhj
    (1) talica 16 700xh

This is how I have my line loaded on the spools for this type of trip. I was watching the fish counts like a hawk and saw that the Aztec got into good grade 20-40lb yft. So I rushed to the tackle store and spooled up.

My 16's are loaded with 50lb MC braid 80% then I fill up the rest with seaguar 25lb INVIS X! Yes!, I put 150yds or more fluorocarbon on each of my reels.

20a. 80% 65lb PP, 150yd 25lb INVIZ X

30a. 80% 80lb MC, 50yd 50lb izor xxx smoke/ 4-5ft 50lb seaguar premier

Talica 16. 90% 100lb TL, 4-5ft 60lb seagur premier.

10/27 slayday.

Everybody had high expectations of a wfo to start the morning. That was not the case, It was very slow till we had our first hook ups around 11 that resulted in 20fish. My bother and I was able to get 7 out of that 20. Most anglers using 40lb test to start then dropped down to 20lbs for most of the day.

I like using, I mean I LOVE using 25lb invis X right off the bat. I can get my bait way out there in the kill zone fast without a knot or braid going through my guides, equals more hook ups. I have my drags set pretty tight, bout 12-15lbs at strike for its first run. After it slows down a bit, I start turning the star drag up and drag the fish in fast. That's why the 14a is already under gunned fighting/cranking in fish between 20-50lb fish with max drag of 17lbs. I'm talking about size fish, not line rating for the reel that we get off of the catalog. 7lbs more drag is a huge difference in the real world. I'll end up with my drags close to being all the way button down, drags tight. 25lb INVIS X holds up, feels as strong as 30lb blue p-line to me. If not stronger. Did I say I LOVE this stuff?!

Before the next stop, my brother and I started helping people get on the right path. Smaller hooks, line and drag. Boom! By this time everybody had hooked up with fish. Double our count close to 80 fish, not bad. By this round. My brother and I had limited out, we killed it. Both using our 16-20a 25lb setups, drags tight on 33-35lb fish without line issues.

3rd last stop was crazy, we let everybody get bait first and saw everybody bendo! This was the only time the 30a and talica 16 came off the rack to play. Time to jack pole!!!! My bro and I put fish on the deck fast! Tight drag, turn head of the fish and gaffff!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!. 1,2,3,4fish for him 2,3,4,5 for me. When the bite slowed down, back to the good ole INVISx, bendo! By this time, I lost count of how many fish we caught. I had 17 tagged fish my bro with 16, I finally beat him in something! It was the best overnite trip of the year because I got to fish with my best friend that taught me everything, I love you BRO!

Back on topic.

20to 50lb fish? 16a is best for live bait.

2speed? No

I'm That guy, in the best way!

Thanks for reading my rant/rave. Please let me know if you have any questions on any fishing tips. Would be happy to share with all y'all ladies out there;)

Last edited: Aug 26, 2018
    Trinidad1972 and jer dog like this.
  20. DEGBTI

DEGBTI Member

Name:
    dennis
    Boat:
    204 Angler CC
    nice! thank you