ronman

Apr 2, 2021
Newport Beach CA
Name
Ron M
Boat
42 Mag Bay
Hi there,

I was wondering if anyone had a rod/ line suggestions for kite fishing with a Talica 50ii. I’m fishing dead bait (flying fish) and going for BFT off San Clemente (or any other locations you’d suggest for super cows). I’ve seen people fish kites with rail rods but I was wondering if rollers would be worth having at the low troll speeds I’m doing. As for the line, I’m thinking about fishing Cabo too with this setup so maybe #100? I have option to go stand up or strap into a chair.
Thanks!

Dave Coopman

Almost A Member
May 26, 2019
Huntington Beach
Name
Dave Coopman
Boat
Judge 27
If you need instruction on gear and techniques for fishing cow bft I would suggest your saltwater guide, or Billyk fishing for instructional videos on their website’s.

This is an endeavor that you’re going to pour a decent amount of money and time at. I’d invest in the instructional stuff they have on their sites.

I could say put 150# braid or 200#, buy a Seeker so you have some give in the rod since your going to have only 5’ of 400# mono attached to your flyer. Then there’s the guides, no rollers! Do you want a bent butt, an adjustable winthorpe? The list goes on.

Dave

Upvote 0

Tugboat64

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Sep 8, 2017
La Mirada/Whittier
Name
Logan
Boat
Wanting a bigger boat
For a Tac 50, fill the reel with 130 braid and tie a bimini twist on the end of it; there make or buy a wind on leader of 130-200lb mono your choicee and attach it to the loop. Personally, I don't like rollers because some rods have it where the line slips between the actual roller and the metal guide and I feel that may cause chaffing. Don't go with 100lb, 130 would be the smallest i do for kite, especially since that 410lb cow caught last year was on 130lb test. As said previously, use a crimped leader of 400 mono or floro (your choice) and make a "Flying fish leader" which is a super simple rig, reminds me of a trap rig.

Upvote 0

Pgnracr

Sep 3, 2014
HB
Name
Jeff
Boat
Line up
On my tax 50 setup I use rail rod seeker. 130 spectra to 400 mono all crimped. NO ROLLERS!! I used afoul years ago and had one seize and chaff off fish. I took reel off and sunk that rod!!

Upvote 0