Talica 20 or makaira 20 which casts sardines best?

lgd

Aug 5, 2015
San pedro
Name
Baywatch 19
Boat
35' Seaway
I am new to bdoutdoors, and this is my first post, considering a new reel for that guadulupe fishing for next fall. Was there last Nov. Great trip on shogun. Looking for opinions on these or any other reels and rods you think are good for that guadulupe style tuna fishing. A good bait presentation makes a huge diference. Casting a hot sardine past the sea lions meant a quick bite, as opposed to the long soak for a maybe bite. I really dislike the long soak, and the headaches it often brings. Tangles etc...Fished and did pretty good with an Andros 16ii on a Seeker 6470 XH,100 solid, 80 fluro

Upvote 0

titan05

Pelagic Terminator
Apr 7, 2004
San Diego North County
Name
Jim
Boat
Chelsea Rae
You should post this on the Fishing Chit Chat forum or the Longe Range forum....you will get a ton of opinions

on the buy sell forum you may only get opinions of people trying to sell you a reel or rod

Curious though.....how can this your first post ?

Upvote 0

lgd

Aug 5, 2015
San pedro
Name
Baywatch 19
Boat
35' Seaway
You should post this on the Fishing Chit Chat forum or the Longe Range forum....you will get a ton of opinions

on the buy sell forum you may only get opinions of people trying to sell you a reel or rod

Curious though.....how can this your first post ?
ok, thanks, not sure how to change the forum it is in, I am tech challanged!will try to figure it out

Upvote 0

titan05

Pelagic Terminator
Apr 7, 2004
San Diego North County
Name
Jim
Boat
Chelsea Rae
Firdt thing to do is go to your post an click on the edit icon at the bottom of your post then when it opens for you......high light and copy it.......then hit save and you will be out of your post .
go to the top of the page where it says FORUMS
click on that and then just scroll down to the long range or fishing chit chat forum

start a new thread with the question and then paste in your comment

to answer your question....both are very good freespool so it really comes down to the person doing the casting

Upvote 0

Fishingfiends

Aug 17, 2014
Placentia, CA
Name
Blake Hurlburt
Boat
14' Aluminum Boat
whichever you choose, you can achieve maximum casting distance by upgrading the spool bearings to boca Orange seal bearings and applying a drop of TSI 321. The upgrade will cost you under $40 and make your reel spin like a top

Reactions: potuna
Upvote 0

lgd

Aug 5, 2015
San pedro
Name
Baywatch 19
Boat
35' Seaway
whichever you choose, you can achieve maximum casting distance by upgrading the spool bearings to boca Orange seal bearings and applying a drop of TSI 321. The upgrade will cost you under $40 and make your reel spin like a top
thank you for the tip, I am sure it has more to do with the skill of the person using the equipment, as long as the equipment is decent. the crew on the shogun are so good at this, as most crews are, and they make it look so easy!

Upvote 0

lkatdpelicanfly

Lizard Fish Slayer
Jun 23, 2009
Los Angeles
Name
Frank
Boat
no
comparing the talica 20 to the mak 20 isnt fair.

the talica is a 20 is a "true 20" size reel whereas the mak20 is really a "30". the makaira holds almost twice as much line as the talica.

Yeah talica 20 is a lot smaller and a lot lighter, especially the spool, so it will be easier to cast a sardine i would think.

Upvote 0

rcarry

May 8, 2012
Orange County
Name
Ryan
Boat
--
Mak16 SEa w/ 100# to 80# fluoro is perfect for the Lupe. Talica 20 low gear is doable, but not ideal. Talica casts the dine a lil better, but the Mak puts the fish on the boat. Important if you are on a boat with 24+ guys all bendo on 80-140# fish.

Reactions: lgd
Upvote 0

lgd

Aug 5, 2015
San pedro
Name
Baywatch 19
Boat
35' Seaway
thanks guys, soundso like the mak sea gets it done, and talica casts a slight bit beter, appreciate all your insights. I guess I better to frying that turkey, and honey do list. Merry Christmas all

Upvote 0
Feb 18, 2009
Pacific
www.youtube.com
Name
Ben
Boat
22ft Boston Whaler Outrage
Mak16 SEa w/ 100# to 80# fluoro is perfect for the Lupe. Talica 20 low gear is doable, but not ideal. Talica casts the dine a lil better, but the Mak puts the fish on the boat. Important if you are on a boat with 24+ guys all bendo on 80-140# fish.

The Talica 20 has 45lbs of Drag which you're really never going to use with it.

The Mak 16 (comparable size) has 48lbs. Why would it put fish on the boat better?

Reactions: SDlifestyle
Upvote 0

lgd

Aug 5, 2015
San pedro
Name
Baywatch 19
Boat
35' Seaway
ok, makes since to me, lower gear ratio=more torque and better winding and pulling power. How does that penn 16 vsx compare with these reels, to further complicate things...

Upvote 0

tanner.s

Fish Slaughterer
Oct 18, 2012
San Diego
Name
Tanner
Boat
1997 Proline 23 W/A
The 16VSX and Makaira with their lower gear ratios and slightly beefier frame will be better for brute fish than the Talica. Penn vs Okuma, the Okuma is definitely the better reel although it's really personal preference at this point. Go to a shop and play with the two!

Reactions: lgd and rcarry
Upvote 0

graya

I Should Upgrade My Account
Dec 3, 2005
Fontana CA
Name
Guadalupe Raya
Boat
none
it all depends on your application i like catching fish on the iron and the higher gear ratios on the tallica works best for me i own a couple of the makairas but they might have the torque but not the smoothness and faster gear ratios needed for the iron

Upvote 0

tanner.s

Fish Slaughterer
Oct 18, 2012
San Diego
Name
Tanner
Boat
1997 Proline 23 W/A
it all depends on your application i like catching fish on the iron and the higher gear ratios on the tallica works best for me i own a couple of the makairas but they might have the torque but not the smoothness and faster gear ratios needed for the iron
The reel has to be smooth for iron? I guess it matters to some, I like the feel of the gears in an Avet and so forth.

Upvote 0

Tim_A

Jan 25, 2019
Thousand Oaks
Name
Tim
Boat
stella rose
The reel has to be smooth for iron? I guess it matters to some, I like the feel of the gears in an Avet and so forth.
I agree smooth is good for flat iron, however I must say there is alot of bias toward talica 25ii and Makaira SE30. Both do the job bottom line. I use talica25ii with Cal low gear mod to 1.6 . I feel it gives me best of both worlds. For casting in high gear , using flat irons and better torque in strength than original talica 2.6 low gear ratio . Also Cals mod for low gear is 3 times stronger in stainless than original talica gear . 200 lb BFT no problem , Fish landed under 1 hour with 8 foot rail rod and took out 500 yards of maxcuatro 100 lb on run. Fish fought in high gear about 40 minutes, then switched to low gear for 20 minutes. My top shot was short , only 50 yards 80 lb fluorocarbon. I think Makaira is a great reel , maybe better out of box to getting fish on boat without mods. like talica 25ii with Cal mod. Both out of box get it done , just depends on how much money you want to invest. Also modified Talica 25ii with magnet on left CNC housing for zero backlash for casting 2lb flat irons. Also bought new Modified CAM to make Talica 25ii a monofilament reel if needed for sailfish . To bad fishing is so costly, trying to outgun BFT. Best of Luck

Upvote 0

Tim_A

Jan 25, 2019
Thousand Oaks
Name
Tim
Boat
stella rose
I agree smooth is good for flat iron, however I must say there is alot of bias toward talica 25ii and Makaira SE30. Both do the job bottom line. I use talica25ii with Cal low gear mod to 1.6 . I feel it gives me best of both worlds. For casting in high gear , using flat irons and better torque in strength than original talica 2.6 low gear ratio . Also Cals mod for low gear is 3 times stronger in stainless than original talica gear . 200 lb BFT no problem , Fish landed under 1 hour with 8 foot rail rod and took out 500 yards of maxcuatro 100 lb on run. Fish fought in high gear about 40 minutes, then switched to low gear for 20 minutes. My top shot was short , only 50 yards 80 lb fluorocarbon. I think Makaira is a great reel , maybe better out of box to getting fish on boat without mods. like talica 25ii with Cal mod. Both out of box get it done , just depends on how much money you want to invest. Also modified Talica 25ii with magnet on left CNC housing for zero backlash for casting 2lb flat irons. Also bought new Modified CAM to make Talica 25ii a monofilament reel if needed for sailfish . To bad fishing is so costly, trying to outgun BFT. Best of Luck
My original Talica 25ii holds 900 yards of 100lb maxcuatro and 50 yards of 80 lb florourocarbon topshot

Upvote 0