Talica 16ii pairing

Socal.brian

Dec 10, 2020
Fountain valley
Name
Brian Anthony Martinez
Boat
Parker
What’s going fellas haveing some trouble figuring out how to set up a talica 16ii first time getting into this range of gear I feel like I should go 65braid 80mono or should I match it with 80lb braid also I know for sure I want to pick up another uc rod and again should I go straight to a centaur rail rod or should I look at the gp or platinum series any tips and suggestions would help out

Upvote 0

mike garrahan

TheSabreGuy
Sep 7, 2007
la habra hts
Name
mike garrahan
Boat
23 ft. crestliner
I have a Talica 16 and I have it filled with 80lb JB solid. I usually fish it with a 50lb or 60lb fluro leader. I guess you could fish 80lb on it but if I am fishing 80lb I usually move up to a bigger reel like an Avet HXW raptor filled with 100lb or 135lb spectra. I usually fish my Talica 16 on a Seeker OSP 1X3. It is a nice combo for a 50lb or 60lb bait outfit.

Socal.brian
Socal.brian
thanks for the reply I guess I was planning 80lb mono for those sinker rigs going on right now but I think your right 60lb would be a smoother choice
Upvote 0
Upvote 0

Pitchinwedge

• Aug 7, 2016
    So Cal
    Name
    Sammie
    Boat
    None
    should go 65braid 80mono or should I match it with 80lb braid

For offshore use, I think it just depends on how much line capacity you want. Depends on the brand/model of braid, but should get in the neighborhood of 600yds/65lb or 500yds/80lb. Most will choose 80lb. Again, either is fine, IMO. As for the rod selection.... it really depends on your application, but a GP or US Predator will make for for a very capable, yet versatile setup.

FWIW, most fish the Centaur with a Mak16 or VISX16. If you're targeting the big SoCal BFT, "this is the way".

Reactions: Socal.brian
    Upvote 0

jer dog

Fishing is life
    Jun 22, 2006
    Garden Grove
    Name
    Gerry
    Boat
    One that floats
    For offshore use, I think it just depends on how much line capacity you want. Depends on the brand/model of braid, but should get in the neighborhood of 600yds/65lb or 500yds/80lb. Most will choose 80lb. Again, either is fine, IMO. As for the rod selection.... it really depends on your application, but a GP or US Predator will make for for a very capable, yet versatile setup.

FWIW, most fish the Centaur with a Mak16 or VISX16. If you're targeting the big SoCal BFT, "this is the way".
    I have mine with 80 LB YUZRI solid on A Cal - Star Graphiter 700 H,
    and have A top shot of 60 LB on it,
    if I needed 80 LB ,I would go with the Talica 20.

Upvote 0

2Rotten

Live in Oregon/Love to Fish San Diego!
    Jan 10, 2010
    Junction City OR
    Name
    Rod Lathrop
    Boat
    24' North River Seahawk Hardtop "Sun Dog"
    Factory specs for the Talica 16ii call for 465 yards of 65# braid. Many people do not get full loading to factory specs. I would definitely not go any higher than 65# braid on this reel, and use only a 15' fluoro top shot. If you hook something large you are going to need every yard of braid you can carry on this reel. For comparison, the Fathom 40 nld2 factory specs call for 665 yards of 65# braid; 2 BD posts recently have talked about getting spooled with their 40 nld2 loaded with 80# braid. Your Talica has approximately 30% less capacity than a 40 nld2.

The 7'6" UC Centaur is definitely going to be too much stick for this reel IMHO. I have one, love it, but mine is paired with a Mak 16 SEa loaded with 500 yards of 100# braid. I fish 80# leader on it.

Take a hard look at the 8'0" UC GP Terminator. This is a pretty new stick for me, but I absolutely love it. Light weight and very powerful. Casts a 'dine great. I have my GP Terminator paired with a Mak 15T SEa loaded with 500 yards of 65# Daiwa J braid, this reel is fairly comparable to your Talica 16ii in capacity. I'm in Oregon for the summer, no BFT pics from me for a while, but I did take the GP Terminator/Mak 15T Halibut fishing a couple weeks ago. Bounces a 3# cannon ball beautifully, and this cute little guy decided to go for a boat ride with me.
    PXL_20210603_180008442.jpg

Socal.brian
    Socal.brian
    Thanks for the info I am def going to buy a terminator from randy I’ve been eyeing that model for a long time thanks for the reply
    Upvote 0
    Upvote 0