Talica 16ii or 20ii with what rod

Discussion in 'San Diego Long Range fishing Reports' started by seabash, Dec 23, 2015.

1. seabash

seabash Member

Name:
    matias
    Boat:
    san diego
    Im looking into buying either a Talica 16ii or 20ii. Im very green to any long range teips but my intention is to use it more for the shorter long range trips like 5 days. I want one thats versatile but i dont want to be undergunned and i have no experience with either. I know they are similar but what the advice of those who have fished them. Also any suggestions on rods to put it on.

2. ripped

ripped I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Gary
    Boat:
    Vagabond
    In a typical year for 5 day trips you will be fishing with 40lb. the majority of the time. I think the 16 would fit the bill with 65 or 80lb, spectra backing leaving enough room for 100 yards of mono. You could bump up the line test in mono if needed. I presume your going to bait fish and for an ideal stick for bait with 40 or 50 lb. string Calstar's Grafighter 700MH is hard to beat. Funny, when I started ocean fishing my first purchase was to find a rod that did everything. I now have 25 sticks... Excessive yes but a good bait stick that casts a small bait won't put the hurt on a yellowtail if your yoyoing a 6Xjr. And a good yoyo stick like a GF 700XH will make it harder to cast a bait to the sweat spot. You will find all the info you need and then some on this site. I would suggest you take your time and pull on several rods to see what feels good in your hands.

3. seabash

seabash Member

Name:
    matias
    Boat:
    san diego
    Thanks i typically fish my new toriums 14 or 16 on phenix 809 and 909 rods which i love. I also just bought a trinidad 20a, but im looking for something that if need can pull on 100+ pounds and not break me. Bigger fish is the goal, and so that means longer range. Can either a talica 16ii or 20ii be of use on those 10-15 day trips

Last edited: Dec 23, 2015
  4. big dog62

big dog62 Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    spanky
    Boat:
    sac-yac
    " new torium 14 " Where? I want one... Who's got em?

5. seabash

seabash Member

Name:
    matias
    Boat:
    san diego
    Sorry Big Dog, as i referenced in said begining im pretty new to fishing. The "new torium 14" you referenced as you well know "new" is new to in a box for me and "torium 14" would be older model. If i find the new torium 14 HGA i will let you know. Lol

Last edited: Dec 23, 2015
  6. wieisme

wieisme Member

Name:
    James
    Boat:
    22' IMP
    Does it have to be Shimano? I love my talica's as I have 4 of them, 12ii for 40-50#bait and yoyo. But to me for what your asking I feel a makaria 16SEa would fit the bill nicely. Load it with 100# braid and you can fish 60-100# floro leader

rcarry likes this.
  7. rcarry

rcarry Member

Name:
    Ryan
    Boat:
    --
    5 day trip could mean Guadalupe for 100# fish or trolling around offshore for 15-40# fish now-a-days depending on the boat you go on. Talica 16 (80# braid) goes well with Phenix hybrid xh or 2x for your 40-60# setup and a mak16 SEa (100# braid) goes well with Phenix hybrid 3x for your 60-100# setup. I would skip the Talica 20/25 unless you get it blueprinted.

8. tanner.s

tanner.s Fish Slaughterer

Name:
    Tanner
    Boat:
    1997 Proline 23 W/A
    I agree with Mak 16.

9. seabash

seabash Member

Name:
    matias
    Boat:
    san diego
    Awesome thanks for all the advice....I have never thought much about the Mak's, yet i have heard alot about them lately. Why the Mak 16 over say a 20 Talica, i am leaning more toward the 20 versus the 16, from what i have read the Mak 16 is really like a 20 or 25 size reel. I love shimano, however i am open to anything knowing this is not a reel i will be using all the time.

Last edited: Dec 25, 2015
  10. rcarry

rcarry Member

Name:
    Ryan
    Boat:
    --
    Both the 16 & 20 will do the trick, but the mak16 is plenty for Guadalupe in my experience, perfect for 100# braid to 80# fluoro. The mak20 is more of a 130# braid to 100# fluoro setup in my opinion, but that's just an opinion. Also, the Talica 20 is more comparable to the mak 16 in terms of size and line capacity if that's the size you are looking for. Personally, I fish talica 10, 12 (sometimes 16) and then jump to Makaira's for everything over that.

11. seabash

seabash Member

Name:
    matias
    Boat:
    san diego
    I have never fished the Talica, i personally like the star drag reels and have always fished those. Why do you fish the smaller Talicas the 10 and 12 and not the 20 or 25? Why do you like the Mac 16 or 20 for the larger reel? Also any idea what the difference is between the regular Mac models and the Mac SEa models

Last edited: Dec 25, 2015
  12. rcarry

rcarry Member

Name:
    Ryan
    Boat:
    --
    Just a preference, for lever drags they cast extremely well with smooth drags and the 2 speed option is nice (not really needed on the lighter setups but nice to have). I converted my tac12 handle with a jigging world handle to fish wahoo, yo-yo, etc. Mak SEa's are all around great reels in my experience, but I fish the Mak's for heavier setups primarily for the low gear ratio, makes a huge difference with bigger fish to get them up fast and avoid tangles and/or the "taxman". Here is a link from the charkbait website about the difference between Mak and Mak SEa- http://charkbait.evecommunity.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/2741078602/m/806007746001

pgangler likes this.
  13. backlashjack

backlashjack Scallywag

Name:
    Jackson
    Boat:
    Sold the boat, now I just rent a stateroom on the EXCEL
    Fishy got a super on a mak16. Sounds like enough power for your 5 day needs, even out of PV apparently

14. pgangler

pgangler 12Wt

Name:
    Ron
    Boat:
    Was Cabo35, now RR3
    X2 on the Castability - a Tal12 casts a bait waaay easier than a Tal20. But then I've got the Tal12 loaded with 65lb braid and 50lb top, and the 20 with 100lb braid and 60-80lb top. Still, the rotational inertia of the smaller spool on the 12 makes a huge difference over the 20, regardless of line size.