Shimano Talica 12 II problem

Mar 11, 2006
san diego
Name
curt ljungquist
Boat
22 sea cat/16 klamath
Seems my talica 12 and 16 seems to have constant problems with the bushing inside the handle. It gets water in there and the handle won't turn correctly, hard to turn. Frees pools perfectly. It's a rebuild every 6 months is this standard?????
Great reels just don't seem to hold well

Reactions: terrace
Upvote 0

af dreamer

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Apr 16, 2007
long beach,ca
Name
tom
Boat
44 luhrs dreamer
I have them on my boat for 2 years with no issue at all.I take crap care of them also.I just hose them off,sun dry and hang them in the rack.Tom

Upvote 0
Mar 11, 2006
san diego
Name
curt ljungquist
Boat
22 sea cat/16 klamath
Tom- the first few years I had them I also had 0 problems. Same thing, quick rinse and done. Last 2 years, they need that same bearing replaced every 6 months or so. I'm just a bit puzzled, I like the reels a lot.

Upvote 0

Bantam1

Shimano Rep
Sep 13, 2007
Irvine, CA
Name
Dan
Boat
N/A
Which bearing are you using? The reel came with a S-ARB bearing which will hold up better in the salt than a regular stainless bearing. Do you apply any grease to the shaft or bearing?

At the base of the handle there is a bushing. The bearing is only at the top of the knob. Typically this one doesn't get the abuse. I suspect the cover is allowing water in. Apply a little bit of grease to the top of the shaft with the cover off. This will prevent water from getting in from the top.

Upvote 0
Mar 11, 2006
san diego
Name
curt ljungquist
Boat
22 sea cat/16 klamath
I don't service the reels myself. I have used fishermans landing, ken's, Shimano in Irvine, Glen in Chula Vista.
All provide good service but the problem persists. I just sent the TAC 12 II to Irvine and when it is returned I will put some grease in the handle where the button is if that's where you are recommending. Thanks

Upvote 0
Mar 11, 2006
san diego
Name
curt ljungquist
Boat
22 sea cat/16 klamath
I just want to say " Shimano service REALLY took care of me".
Got my Tac 12 II back (in one week) and for the standard service charge
$30.00, they replaced all gears,all bearings,drag washer, and spool.
WOW!!!!

Reactions: 998R
Upvote 0