Talica 12/16 Loss of Freespool at Low(er) Drag Preset?

RideHPD

Enthusiastic Idiot Rookie
Aug 14, 2016
Del Mar/Marina Del Rey, CA
Name
Eric Marin
Boat
10' Model T
Shimano states that the reels start to lose freespool at 22lbs at strike, but I have several 12s and 16s and all but one seems to start to lose freespool beyond 16lbs at strike.

First thing was to check the scale, and 2x 10lb plates came back at just about 20lbs, so it's decently calibrated for this purpose.

Obvious thing to consider is how full the spools are, the three in question are my heavy casting set-ups and are full to the brim with 100lb, 60mm diameter; the one that seems to be fine is a 60lb bait reel, 60lb braid to spool dia of 55mm. That alone can't be the issue, as for a 25% deviation in drag output from spool diameter would mean a 45mm dia spool for testing, which is pretty low, and removed by the 55mm spool fill performing nominally.

Pull rate affects the drag reading on the scale significantly. At strike with the same preset the drag can be broken at a slow pull at 16lbs, at 20lbs for a typical rate you'd use to check drag, and for a quick but still steady pull the reading goes to 24 lbs. Small bit of tape on the spring scale to capture the witness slider from sliding past the max reading. For the sake of discussion, the pull rate used in the rest of the explanation is that for the normal pull rate.

Some of the problematic reels I have yet to perform any maintenance on, one I completely stripped and serviced at the beginning of the season. That one I opened up yesterday, drags seem good, no extra lubrication that could lower the friction and therefore the drag output for the given engagement (but as I write this I realize some saltwater intrusion or some moisture may be present, I didn't eliminate that possibility). Bearings and everything else looked fine on that reel. The reel that's nominal I did a complete service on at the start of the season and hasn't seen saltwater since.

So I know they should be able to get 20lbs at strike, and it doesn't look like it's something I may have done during service, any idea what the deal is here? I'm thinking somehow it's moisture/salt intrusion as the only real common denominator is that those reels have taken panga baths a lot this season, but nothing is obvious. I'm going to place a call to Shimano tomorrow but I'm impatient.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

F.I.S.H.Y

Fishermen.
  • Sep 27, 2019
    San Diego CA
    Name
    Erick
    Boat
    None
    Shimano states that the reels start to lose freespool at 22lbs at strike, but I have several 12s and 16s and all but one seems to start to lose freespool beyond 16lbs at strike.

First thing was to check the scale, and 2x 10lb plates came back at just about 20lbs, so it's decently calibrated for this purpose.

Obvious thing to consider is how full the spools are, the three in question are my heavy casting set-ups and are full to the brim with 100lb, 60mm diameter; the one that seems to be fine is a 60lb bait reel, 60lb braid to spool dia of 55mm. That alone can't be the issue, as for a 25% deviation in drag output from spool diameter would mean a 45mm dia spool for testing, which is pretty low, and removed by the 55mm spool fill performing nominally.

Pull rate affects the drag reading on the scale significantly. At strike with the same preset the drag can be broken at a slow pull at 16lbs, at 20lbs for a typical rate you'd use to check drag, and for a quick but still steady pull the reading goes to 24 lbs. Small bit of tape on the spring scale to capture the witness slider from sliding past the max reading. For the sake of discussion, the pull rate used in the rest of the explanation is that for the normal pull rate.

Some of the problematic reels I have yet to perform any maintenance on, one I completely stripped and serviced at the beginning of the season. That one I opened up yesterday, drags seem good, no extra lubrication that could lower the friction and therefore the drag output for the given engagement (but as I write this I realize some saltwater intrusion or some moisture may be present, I didn't eliminate that possibility). Bearings and everything else looked fine on that reel. The reel that's nominal I did a complete service on at the start of the season and hasn't seen saltwater since.

So I know they should be able to get 20lbs at strike, and it doesn't look like it's something I may have done during service, any idea what the deal is here? I'm thinking somehow it's moisture/salt intrusion as the only real common denominator is that those reels have taken panga baths a lot this season, but nothing is obvious. I'm going to place a call to Shimano tomorrow but I'm impatient.
    Yep. Unless you have Accurate then freespool will go down the higher the drag is. With Talicas the lever becomes harder to push and harder to crank past #20.

Upvote 0

RideHPD

Enthusiastic Idiot Rookie
    Aug 14, 2016
    Del Mar/Marina Del Rey, CA
    Name
    Eric Marin
    Boat
    10' Model T
    What the hell are you talking about? Duh, it's a lever drag reel, that's how they work. They will freespool without inhibition when the preset is set at 20lbs @ strike, I have one on my desk that proves that, the question is why are the others misbehaving.

Upvote 0

F.I.S.H.Y

Fishermen.
  • Sep 27, 2019
    San Diego CA
    Name
    Erick
    Boat
    None
    What the hell are you talking about? Duh, it's a lever drag reel, that's how they work. They will freespool without inhibition when the preset is set at 20lbs @ strike, I have one on my desk that proves that, the question is why are the others misbehaving.
    Misread. I have had talicas loose freespool past 20lbs of drag at strike though. Anyway, just call Shimano. You'll get a better response from them than anyone in here I'm sure.

Upvote 0