Talica’s

Discussion in 'San Diego Long Range fishing Reports' started by Fishpro, Jan 20, 2019.

1. Tim Turis

Tim Turis Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Tim Turis
    Boat:
    n/a
    I once had a Talica 10, 12, 16, 20, and two 25s and sold them all.

If you want a small, two speed reel that casts well, has a very smooth drag, with a lower low gear than the factory Talicas, just buy a Penn Torque. They are everything the Talica is with a lower low gear.

They are not cheap (neither are the Talicas), but IMO the Penn Torques are the best small two speed reels on the market today.

Cubeye, Corndog, No Cal Lou and 9 others like this.
  2. Yellowtail Dan

Yellowtail Dan I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Dan
    Boat:
    Excel, American Angler

Yep, he nailed it.

Fishybuzz likes this.
  3. Fishpro

Fishpro Newbie

Name:
    George Zillini
    Boat:
    George Zillini
    I have a 25n and 30 Torque great reels.

4. stank

stank Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Dave
    Boat:
    None
    It would be nice to see the TRQ line filled out with a narrow 15 and a wide 40

5. Fishpro

Fishpro Newbie

Name:
    George Zillini
    Boat:
    George Zillini
    A 15n would be sweet

6. RideHPD

RideHPD Enthusiastic Idiot Rookie

Name:
    Eric Marin
    Boat:
    10' Model T
    I'm a big Shimano fan and like continuity, but I'm also not blind. The Talicas are really smooth and their freespool/spool inertia makes them really easy to cast dines and get them swimming away from the boat, but there are things that make them less ideal, the gearing being one of those. The bummer about Shimano is that being a globally-oriented brand they tend to make products that will work in all their markets, so there are bottom fishing and billfish elements that worked their way into the Talicas. I fished mine side by side with the Maks down in PV and I really prefer the Talica, but have yet to really fight a solid fish on them yet. But a 170 on a Mak 50 really made me understand why everyone talks about them and the VISX reels, and that that there's a lot more to the 80lb class and up reels than line capacity (and even the gearing).

I'm really starting to question my quiver for this year; I'm not trying to fish flatfalls on an 80lb rig. I could be wrong, but it seems to me that Shimano is satisfied that their offering is on par for these applications and is a leading competitor, but take a look around this forum and that doesn't seem to be the case in terms of sales. Maybe they'll revamp the Tiagras like Penn did with the VSX's, but something tells me there isn't enough of a market to justify the development cost. So far I'm thinking of adding a 25 for a true 100lb rig, but I can't shake the feeling that I'm being a bit naive.

SCHeadhunter likes this.
  7. sabalo1964

sabalo1964 Newbie

Name:
    Sabalo
    Boat:
    36 yellowfin
    I have 2 Talica 50s and they handle 700-800 lb marlin no problem. I bought them 2 years ago and now they are 200 bucks less.I also have 2 Avet 50 Wides on the boat and 2 Mak 50 wides.
    More often than not the Tacs are in the water before anything=they are just easier to handle for me.And great for chunking for big tuna.
    However if I hook a huge fish I prefer the Avet for a long fight.Its nice to have the extra drag.

onelastcast14 likes this.
  8. RideHPD

Name:
    Eric Marin
    Boat:
    10' Model T
    Really I guess if they released a 30 size and some PG offerings that could do jt. A new size would be a big dev effort, but new gearing's shouldn't be too bad. They did it for the Toriums.

9. richardblufin

richardblufin Member

Name:
    Richard Jones
    Boat:
    Bigger is Better Thats what she said
    Yes I agree. I did the same had Cal do my 16 what a difference.

10. shrek likes yt

shrek likes yt Member

Name:
    ray
    Boat:
    nope
    That will never happen and thats why companies who do listen tend to have better outcomes on their products . I refuse to spend $1k on a reel that still needs mods.

Olddog8 likes this.
  11. 5-20

5-20 Poseidon Group's Back Up Trident Thrower

Name:
    5-20
    Boat:
    L2 Fish
    Went on a 2.5 day on the SA 80 in early November. A dude hooked up on a flat fall cow with a Tac 25 and Calstar 775XXH. He landed the fish in less than 20 minutes. Maybe even 15 mins. I think the fish went around #220.

I still remember being slightly amazed when the fish came overboard so fast. I wish I’d watched him fight the fish. That would’ve been interesting and educational, probably.

Personally, I am not really sure the added width and capacity of the 25 is needed over the 20 most of the time. Especially since I think everything else is the same with both reels, the gearing, drag and whatnot. With one of the super lines like pro spec or max cuatro you’ll have well over 500 yards of #100 on the 20. Maybe around 540-550 yards, I think.

12. stank

stank Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Dave
    Boat:
    None
    Saw a guy on the Q get (if I remember correctly) a 257 on a Saltiga 50 star-drag...

13. SouthBayKiller

SouthBayKiller I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Robert
    Boat:
    none
    Every fish is different. Bluefin tend to not pull as much line or as hard as equal sized yellowfin. They also tend to not cooperate around the boat near as much. Also a fish hooked on a jig at night is usually going to be a lot easier to kill than a daytime bait fish. I was fortunate enought to get two 150lb bluefin on a flat fall back to back in under 15 minutes, both basically came right to the boat after one short run and both had the flat fall and 10/0 J hook in thier gills. Later that day I was lucky enough to hook another 150ish fish on the same rig but on bait, it took me roughly 30mins for that fish, but it was hooked in the corner of the mouth with a small circle hook. Night and day difference - pun intended

They were all on a Mak 16, the low gear helped a lot. Many other fish on the same trip were hooked and killed with a Tac20, both reels are up to the task, but the lower gear really shines on big fish in death circles.

ZZZZZ likes this.
  14. RideHPD

Name:
    Eric Marin
    Boat:
    10' Model T
    I have 500 with another 100y of 100lb hollow on top. That said I still want a bigger reel for jigs. Thin is good for getting sardines to carry line 200 yards out, not great when everyone's jigs are dangling around your fish.

15. ZZZZZ

ZZZZZ natural born jig slingers

Name:
    Boat:
    Jet Ski Yamaha FX Show. ZZZZZ
    Was the Q 257 cow. Taken from the finger bank?

16. Tom Honaker

Tom Honaker Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Tom Honaker
    Boat:
    Royal Star
    I have several Cal tweeked out talicas, including a 16. They are a completely different animal when he is done with them. I absolutely love mine, the deckies like em too!

17. 5-20

5-20 Poseidon Group's Back Up Trident Thrower

Name:
    5-20
    Boat:
    L2 Fish
    Sure, just sharing a cool story about what the Tac 25 is capable of. The original poster and anyone else can use that feedback for whatever its worth.

I'm sure people could come on here and say that your 150 pound fish are a lot smaller and fight very differently from the ones well over 200 and it's not surprising they came aboard that quickly which is consistent with what I've seen.

Not really trying to pass myself off as an expert but from my personal experiences, the #200+ fish that came overboard on the boats I've been on all have taken a lot longer to fight than many of the 120-180 pound fish I saw caught on #60-100. Several of those fish came aboard in 30 minutes, give or take a few minutes.

I think we all expect different things from our gear. What works for one guy will not work for another. Just because those fish are so big and strong and we all have different physical capabilities and fight these fish in so many different ways. And then there's the conditions of the areas you're fishing in which in the LR scene often involve rocks and sharks, so that's another thing to think about entirely, obviously.

But above all, I think you ultimately have to figure out what's going to get you that bite and whether you have gear that's going to give you a reasonable enough chance of landing that fish. Everything's secondary to that at some point.

Talicas are just a really fun reel to use. Not sure anyone can argue with that at all. :)

18. Fishpro

Fishpro Newbie

Name:
    George Zillini
    Boat:
    George Zillini
    What would the cost be to get a Tac 20 worked on by Cal blueprinted and lower gear.

19. r8rs4lf

r8rs4lf I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Al
    Boat:
    Salty AF
    Oh you'll have way more than that on a 20. Try over 700 yards of MC 100# on a 16.

20. larry dickson

larry dickson Member

Name:
    Chuck Roast
    Boat:
    20' Skip
    Go to cal's conversions on the internet, it looks like $250. For low gear and blue printing.