back-breaker

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Sep 30, 2005
Arcata
Name
Jim Simondet
Boat
22 foot Boston Whaler Outrage
A few weeks have passed since my return from the 15 day Indy trip and I think it is worth sharing my tale of three significant losses I experienced on my last 15 day adventure. Those of you who have battled these beasts long enough to experience the wins and losses can relate I'm sure. Hoping there is some knowledge to gain from these examples. As Capt. Jeff Debuys likes to say, you only get so many chances. Unfortunately I didn't fiinsh the deal on a few quality fish this trip. Despite these heartbreaks, I had my share of victories, including the attached photo of my 195lb.

Take this for what it is, no blame no shame, just ones that got away....

Lost 1. Hurricane Bank Sardine 100 lb Premier. We were setting anchor for the first time at Hurricane and I was one of the first in the water and was picked up quick off the stern. I was using my go to 100 lb gear, 770xxh calstar and Mak 20. This fish felt big and took me up the port side fairly quickly. I had Billy as my support and things were going well but soon felt a rub on my line like someone was tangled on me from underneath the boat. Billy did a quick run around and saw no problems. The rub sensation disappeared and the fish settled into a slow give and take on the port side midship. The sulking fight continued and I had to bump the drag up to close to full to gain line. Then the sensation came back 20-30 minutes after I first felt it, the rub on my line. I backed off the drag, alerted Billy and Jeff who had joined us and handed the rod to Billy as we all ran down the deck towards the stern. The line broke as we were running down the rail. The floro looked to have been cut sharp and angular close to the hook. The initial reaction was to assume someone from underneath the boat was tangled but that never was confirmed. Jeff also mentioned the possibility of tangled nets over the bank, although we had the fish at deep color.

Lost 2. Hurricane Bank Sardine 100 lb Premier, Seeker 6463xxh tiagra 30. Classic mid day tough bite long soak off the bow. Ripping biter turns into a halibut from hell. Tail wrap! I pull it in backwards for all but 75 yards and then it breaks loose and goes ape-shit. Twice around the boat we go with the 190+ fish 75 feet away and on the surface. Last pass I try to finish the deed on the starboard corner. Two or three times around the corner I’m encouraged to get it done and just out of gaff range the line breaks. Line is frayed as you would expect from a tail wrap.

Lost 3. Boat Kite Rig. Double Trouble Circle hooks and Greenies. Teenager on steroids takes me around the boat a few times, wraps around the anchor, is freed, makes a run for the surface, shakes head violently and then settles into a give and take below the pilothouse on the starboard side. Just outside of gaff range, Cappy is encouraging me from above to get it done and I pull. In fact I pull the hook right out of the mouth.

12509695_1219142791449085_2348046145293290925_n.jpg

sierraed

Long rods and big boats
Oct 10, 2011
Ventura, CA
Name
Ed
Boat
Royal Polaris and Intrepid
What an epic story with plenty of details to consider how we can battle future giants. Thanks for taking the time to share.

Ed

Reactions: Olddog8

PescadorPete

Here, Fishy, Fishy!
Nov 4, 2007
Leucadia, CA
Name
Pete
Boat
Hobie Revo13 (LJ), American Angler (SD), Success (PV)
I hold it true, whate'er befall;
I feel it when I sorrow most;
'Tis better to have fished and lost
Than never to have fished at all.
(tip of the hat to Lord Tennyson) :-)

ripped

Dec 5, 2007
Santa Barbara
Name
Gary
Boat
Vagabond
A 15 day trip is out of my league for now but it sounds like you did everything right. Neptune just had other ideas. Thanks for sharing, Gary

Steve K

Hey, I'm gettin' bit...
Jan 2, 2005
Bishop
Name
Steve
Boat
18' Bayrunner, but I like the American Angler and the Red Rooster III
Jim, I truly understand your losses. If you double that to 6 instead of 3, and compress the time frame to about an hour and a half, it'll give you some idea of how my morning went on a day at Clarion. It was brutal. Salamis and Sardines eaten by sharks, failed topshot connection, broken spectra, tuna eaten by sharks, you get the picture. Four outfits of my own and two hook and hand deals all resulted in no fish for me that day.

We'll never forget those days. As time passes we remember them more than our successes.
We'll get 'em next time!

Rodless_Jim

Apr 3, 2008
Mexico, DF, Mexico
Name
Jim
Boat
Strictly a Rider
I feel for you. I just got back yesterday from a 15-day on Excel. The bite was tough. I caught many chunkers, but only one decent tuna, and that one only about 115lbs.

I had only one bite that seemed like it might have been a really good fish. It ate my chunk and immediately ran under the boat. We ran the rod around the stern and picked up 4-5 lines along the way. I never got the rod back from the deckie. With next to zero drag, the fish came unbuttoned before they could clear the second line.

I guess I got to pull on that fish for 40 seconds.

Bill W

tunaholic
Jan 12, 2006
Chino Hills, Ca.
Name
Bill Walsh
Boat
Red Rooster
Maybe that first loss was some fishing line anchored to the bottom. Thanks for sharing your expierence. I hope more people will post similar as you. Hurricane is known for teenagers, they can get you into trouble fast....

fishforfun2

Hunter Gatherer
Feb 5, 2005
Redondo Beach
Name
Dale
Boat
Boston Whaler Outrage 18
Hi Jim,glad you got a nice one! Too bad about one that got away but its still good experience's in my book. I had a heartbreak on my trip last Jan on Angler where a real feisty tuna I had on got broke off under the Star that was anchored near us. It keeps me coming back to Trophy town!

Last edited:

SlideRight

Been there...
Jul 4, 2008
So Cal
Name
Lew
Boat
ss minnow
Jim, thanks for the rundown. Maybe less than optimal on that trip, but can tell you appreciate the whole enchilada - those losses included.

They'll fade somewhat eventually but,
[QUOTE="Steve K,
As time passes we remember them more than our successes.[/QUOTE
]

Can think of no truer words than those above, regardless of endeavor.

I tally 4 bigun's one hapless night at the bank. Yet the most painful by far remains a single 70#ish 'Lupe BF that swam off the hook right at gaff in the late 70's - that one yet haunts.

No doubt you will get even on the next round........or the next. :cheers:

Reactions: screamingreel

reelconcerned

Jun 12, 2011
Santa Rosa, CA
Name
Paul
Boat
n/a
Hi Jim; I followed your trip and saw there were some nice fish being catch, at least you were hooked up on chunk fish and got a decent fish, also saw the weather was nice, that's a plus. there is always next year. I'll see what I do in April...Paul

Olddog8

May 13, 2012
Poway,ca
Name
Rick
Boat
Sold long ago
Nice detailed report, thanks!

I have some questions why you were using 100lb Premier so much? Was it needed to get bit, is it just what you use, why not use a heavier line after getting chewed off once or twice?

Please don't take this as criticism, it is not! I have only been on one ultra long trip and, though I learned much, still have much (MUCH) to learn. What line to use, when and why is good to understand (same with hooks).

I use premier a lot on a variety of trips but not exclusively.

Thanks!

backlashjack

Scallywag
May 14, 2007
Alta Loma, CA
Name
Jackson
Boat
Sold the boat, now I just rent a stateroom on the EXCEL
Some days you're the hammer.
Some days you're the nail.
We call it fishing instead of catching for a reason.
Glad to see you got to go and have fun.
You'll prolly get a "super" next trip

Reactions: Fishybuzz

SemperFishing

Apr 26, 2007
Austin, TX
Name
Dave
Boat
Prefer Long Range or skiffs (great if combined!)
Years ago I data mined the LR forum for info on fishing cows, for the rod and reel set up I went into cow fishing with the "minimum standard gear" mindset so I could handle a cow and be "Sporty" and have fun fighting the fish. After my first trip, I landed three cows (213, 220, 225) and a 185lb teenager full of hate. 2nd trip got another 216 who was also very angry. Off those fish, the 185, 225 and 216 were landed on a 30 size reel (100lb, 100lb, 130lb lines), and I have come to the conclusion of "screw sportiness." I look to fish the HEAVIEST gear I can get away with: 50 sized 130lb flouro with an appropriate big mustad 7691 (I think that's the model) hook. 30 size reels or even smaller can do the job (obviously), but don't have the "umph" of a 50. My experience says to use the heavier gear, and it pushes the odds toward your favor (not that bad luck wasn't a factor in your heartbreaks, a lot of what happened on your 3 fish were unavoidable). As my ol buddy (semi retired from the forum) SactoTuna said "No one ever hooked a cow wishing they had a smaller reel."

fshholc

Jul 18, 2005
Carlsbad, Ca
Name
Jay
Boat
sold
A few weeks have passed since my return from the 15 day Indy trip and I think it is worth sharing my tale of three significant losses I experienced on my last 15 day adventure. Those of you who have battled these beasts long enough to experience the wins and losses can relate I'm sure. Hoping there is some knowledge to gain from these examples. As Capt. Jeff Debuys likes to say, you only get so many chances. Unfortunately I didn't fiinsh the deal on a few quality fish this trip. Despite these heartbreaks, I had my share of victories, including the attached photo of my 195lb.

Lost 1. Hurricane Bank Sardine 100 lb Premier. We were setting anchor for the first time at Hurricane and I was one of the first in the water and was picked up quick off the stern. I was using my go to 100 lb gear, 770xxh calstar and Mak 20. This fish felt big and took me up the port side fairly quickly. I had Billy as my support and things were going well but soon felt a rub on my line like someone was tangled on me from underneath the boat. Billy did a quick run around and saw no problems. The rub sensation disappeared and the fish settled into a slow give and take on the port side midship. The sulking fight continued and I had to bump the drag up to close to full to gain line. Then the sensation came back 20-30 minutes after I first felt it, the rub on my line. I backed off the drag, alerted Billy and Jeff who had joined us and handed the rod to Billy as we all ran down the deck towards the stern. The line broke as we were running down the rail. The floro looked to have been cut sharp and angular close to the hook. The initial reaction was to assume someone from underneath the boat was tangled but that never was confirmed. Jeff also mentioned the possibility of tangled nets over the bank, although we had the fish at deep color.

Lost 2. Hurricane Bank Sardine 100 lb Premier, Seeker 6463xxh tiagra 30. Classic mid day tough bite long soak off the bow. Ripping biter turns into a halibut from hell. Tail wrap! I pull it in backwards for all but 75 yards and then it breaks loose and goes ape-shit. Twice around the boat we go with the 190+ fish 75 feet away and on the surface. Last pass I try to finish the deed on the starboard corner. Two or three times around the corner I’m encouraged to get it done and just out of gaff range the line breaks. Line is frayed as you would expect from a tail wrap.

Lost 3. Boat Kite Rig. Double Trouble Circle hooks and Greenies. Teenager on steroids takes me around the boat a few times, wraps around the anchor, is freed, makes a run for the surface, shakes head violently and then settles into a give and take below the pilothouse on the starboard side. Just outside of gaff range, Cappy is encouraging me from above to get it done and I pull. In fact I pull the hook right out of the mouth.

View attachment 744273

View attachment 744273