killerfin

You fight like a girl !!!
Sep 6, 2006
santa ana
Name
Felipe
Boat
Your Mama
Does any one know what the rules are for taking your pet to baja? im looking to going to Santa rosalia the weekend of Thanks giving..

Jaydog

Jul 18, 2005
San Diego
Name
Jay
Boat
Mako 19'
I don't know what the "rules" are but I have crossed with my dogs dozens of times and never been asked for anything. I carry some vet paperwork on each dog just in case but never needed.

middleofnowhere

Gopher Killer
Sep 16, 2008
Yucca Valley, CA USA
Name
Scott
Boat
Twin Vee "MamaMia"
Not sure of the "rules" either, but we carry the dog's er rat's license/immunization records with us.

Juny

Well-Known "Member"
Jun 15, 2010
San Diego
Name
Jorge Bee
Boat
15' Gregor
No rules that I know of.

Make sure you have their vet paperwork. I was sent to secondary inspection back in August for not having any paper work for the pup.

Juny

Well-Known "Member"
Jun 15, 2010
San Diego
Name
Jorge Bee
Boat
15' Gregor
All shots current and paperwork from the Vet. Spent 100.00 to make sure I had everything in order and they never even ask for it.....
You'll get "that guy" sooner or later that'll be a complete dick.

Having all the paperwork will save you a few head aches, trust me.

vamonosSF

Oct 13, 2012
la bocana, bcs
Name
scott goodman
Boat
Senorita
cool thanks for all your input . I have all the paper work for shots
One other note, make sure if you bring pet food from the US that you keep the bag or box it came in if you want to bring the remainder back with you. We kept ours in an airtight container but threw away the bag from a U.S. Costco, and it was confiscated at the border upon our return.

Smoke12

Jun 1, 2007
Exeter,Ca/Los Barriles
Name
Jim
Boat
23 ft 2310 parker
cool thanks for all your input . I have all the paper work for shots
We have a home in Baja and we take our pets every trip.
What we have learned.
To be completely safe the rules are:

You need a heath certificate for your pets not more than 5 days before crossing the boarder both ways. Have not been checked driving but the airport will definately check your papers.

Dog food is OK as long as there are no beef products in it. all others are Ok. But I have heard stories where they have said no dog food.

MateoFeo

Mucho Take it Easy
Aug 22, 2007
San Diego
Name
Matt
Boat
19' CC
Good idea to have a clean bill of health from the Vet, but I've never been checked. If it's a puppy or looks mangy bring all the paperwork you can get.

dweston

Well-Known "Member"
May 12, 2008
vista Ca. USA
Name
Duane
Boat
yours
I don't know what the "rules" are but I have crossed with my dogs dozens of times and never been asked for anything. I carry some vet paperwork on each dog just in case but never needed.
x2 just got back from San Felipe and have never been questioned about our dog

baaadlybent

Well-Known "Member"
Sep 5, 2006
Fullerton/Bahia de los Angeles
Name
Doug
Boat
26' Striper "Baaadly Bent", 21' Bayrunner Baja "Vamonos", 15' Gregor "Little Vamonos"
Another thing I do. Bring an extra bag of el cheapo dog food and paper bowls for the local strays. You see them in every town. I like to stop and give them a bowl of food. You won't believe how happy it makes them. Many times I've found them wandering across the desert between towns. Hopefully it gave them enough calories to keep going. Sort of a feel good thing for the wife and me. And no, I have NEVER heard of anyone having a problem with their dog. Either in mexico or at the border. Mexico is doggie heaven. No leashes, welcome in stores and restaurants (mostly) and they play all day long. They love it. Often don't want to leave.

brantc

Ranchero
May 15, 2004
crown point
Name
Brant
Boat
whichever one will have me
Have the pets shot record with you and you should be fine. I had my dog with me down there for years. The only difference is that Mex requires a rabies shot every year instead of every two years like the US.

I only got checked once and that issue came up since my dog was over a year on that shot. Was able to talk my way out of it, but just a heads up that it came up. You should be fine...usually you are never asked even for the shot record.