killerfin

You fight like a girl !!!
Sep 6, 2006
santa ana
Name
Felipe
Boat
Your Mama
Does any one know what is needed to do this? Im buying a Yamaha f150 outboard for a friend down there. I have looked online and cant really find find a clear answer to what I need to do . If you have done this before please let me know what is need.
Thanks.

64 sleeper

Father Fisherman Hunter
Nov 30, 2012
Santa Ynez/CA/USA
Name
Erik
Boat
North River Seahawk
Driven down to La Paz many times...never been checked on the way down. Not saying it couldn't happen, but I doubt it.

Sea Esta

Captain
Jul 14, 2005
Laguna Beach.......... San Quintin B.C.N
Name
Roy
Boat
MAKO Home Port San Quintin Baja
This past June a neighbor in San Quintin had a brand new 90hp outboard hidden in the back of his truck and did not declare it. Got red lighted and they said he was smuggling. He was detained for five hour's before being released and they confiscated not only the outboard but his truck also with everything in it....He had ten day's to file the paper work to fight it in court. His Mexican lawyer said with his truck being in the TJ impound yard for more than a week it would be stripped clean and not worth fighting. It would also take around 3 years for his case to be heard.

Last edited:
Reactions: TonyC

mogambosquid

Well-Known "Member"
Oct 31, 2004
Carpinteria, CA, Chiriqui, Panama
Name
Greg
Boat
22' panga, 24' diesel inboard
Why not buy down there? I bought a Suzuki 90 from Agencia Arjona in La Paz a few years ago, paid cash and the price was better than I could find in California with the same warranty. Arjona has a dealership in Ensenada and does pretty big volume so it might be worth a shot.

Reactions: TonyC

cj5orion

Build it...Remodel it...Go Fishin/Huntin/Baja
Jun 21, 2007
pacific beach/Gonzaga Bay
Name
Bert
Boat
gone baja
used outboard..... IF they even ask,,,,,,

its yours,brought it to the states to have some work done on it,now back to the boat !

you might even get the seller to write ya up a fake repair bill or jus write one up yourself

no problemo;s

baaadlybent

Well-Known "Member"
Sep 5, 2006
Fullerton/Bahia de los Angeles
Name
Doug
Boat
26' Striper "Baaadly Bent", 21' Bayrunner Baja "Vamonos", 15' Gregor "Little Vamonos"
Agree with CJ5Orion. In addition I would carry the boat registration with me to prove that there is actually a boat this is going onto. An outboard that size can't be hid in the back of a truck. That's silliness. If you don't get pulled into secondary you are good to go. If you get pulled in I would just be prepared to tell a good story. Such as a major repair that no one in your Baja village could do. Tell them you live near a fish camp in the middle of nowhere and you trailer is broken and can't tow the boat that distance. Make it believable. I've crossed with lots of boat parts, generators, and smaller outboards. I always tell them I'm a camper and fisherman and I carry my stuff back and forth all the time.

Reactions: Htnfool

killerfin

You fight like a girl !!!
Sep 6, 2006
santa ana
Name
Felipe
Boat
Your Mama
Thanks for the adivise and help . I will be paying the export fees and just get it over with that ways i dont lose all my stuff and truck .

Kellys twins

Playing with the twins
Aug 9, 2011
Parker AZ, Campo de Lorenzo, San Quintin, BCN Mex.
Name
Rick Woodley
Boat
Kellys twins 23' Donzi
You can stop in the declare line and tell them the story from up above, if they don't beleve you then you can pay the fees that way your not trying to sneek it in. did the same with furniture they bought the story and away i went no fees.

Mongo76

Nov 21, 2007
Modesto, CA
Name
Darin
Boat
Sea Swirl 22, Blondie, 50 Silverton Flora T, 50 Silverton The Other Office
Get the right paperwork. I had a fun time with a set Volvo EVC engine computers that were coming back after being serviced.

PescadorJim

Aug 1, 2005
San Bruno, BCS (full time)
Name
Jim Anderson
Boat
21.5 Triumph / Moosea
Felipe, if it is not on the back of a boat, forget about half of what you heard on here. They have really cracked down on importing in the last year. I assume this is for Daniel so you need to talk to a broker and see what the declared amount is. Do not try to grossly understate the value of the motor. Either give a receipt or blue book value. Go into Otay and declare it and then pay the import tax on the motor, Get all the paperwork and you are good to go. It may be a little faster to clear at Tecate with the scenic road out and they are easier to deal with. If you decide to go the broker route, then let me know and I will send you a couple of names and numbers.