Paul Ward

I Should Upgrade My Account
Jul 17, 2007
Costa Mesa
Name
wooddog
Boat
Boaty
Was invited to fish blue fin with buddy Dave on his 38 Ocean Yaught. Met at 5am with DJ and grabbed 2 scoops of good sardine. Hit the harbor mouth for mackrels,made 20 pieces with some Spanish macks as well.we arrived at the no so secret spot and glssed through the armada of like 100 boats. Among them Excel,royalstar ,095,RR3,CONSTITUTION and more long range boats..soaked sardine on the skirts of the pack hoping for a bite. Saw the Excel gaff a couple and a small bot got one but didn't feel right hanging in the pack. Headed west 5miles and started throwing iron at foamers for no bites. Schools would sink out when we got near.knowing there were fish in the area we put in trolled mackrels on 60# .we got a bite on the starboard rod and I went to work on it but after 15 minutes with the fish still 100 yards out pulled the hook, dammit.at least we knew 2 thing now fish are here and they eat trolled baits on heavier gear.back at and after a long hour waiting and hoping captain says wing up were moving. Right the click click I pull the rod from the holder and line start peeling . A push the drag slowly to strike and start gaining . After about an hour and a half I was almost beat but stayed on it till the gaff came out and showed the fish the deck.This was the second fish this weekfor us on trolled mackrel from 4 solid hook ups.

IMG_1096.jpg

Paul Ward

I Should Upgrade My Account
Jul 17, 2007
Costa Mesa
Name
wooddog
Boat
Boaty
We had 5 to 10 Inch baits. Fish was hooked on a 9 inch. These fish have a big mouth troll big baits maybe a bigger hook than I used. Lite lite drag if your trolling cicle hooks IMO

Upvote 0