Tahiti Offshore SurfSkiff 177

AddyJ

Apr 2, 2016
LBC
Name
Michael johnston
Boat
177 SurfSkiff
@skiff, that is one pretty G17!! No doubt Mr. Anderson builds some kickass boats but only a hand full of us can afford his expertise. Todd is trying to bridge the gap, maybe he'll succeed, maybe he'll fail. His entrepreneurial vision is strong, for that I support his efforts. I will have the boat at the Redondo Hoist tomorrow around noon-3pm. Drop on by, everyone is welcome.
Call and give me a heads up that you're coming
562-362-8956
Bagel

Upvote 0

skiff

skiff
Apr 30, 2007
central coast of california
Name
Jeff
Boat
17' Radon
This is all just conjecture, so maybe Michael can set us straight on this? From what I can surmise, and again, I may be wrong on this, this new cc is not so much a 'splash' of a Greenough 17 hull as some sort of 'new' hull, but for sure, based heavily on the Del Mar 13, a boat I 'think' was also made by this company a few years ago (no longer in business). The DM 13 was heavily based on Greenough's original prototype small skiff (the original of which is still plying the waters up around Santa Barbara under new ownership...), and it's quite obvious by the sponson design and how it all comes together in the modified cathedral hull and the bow entry. The Del Mar was a very stripped down type of rig, like the Tahiti, and in the end, production was ceased. I think a buddy of mine might have purchased the 'last' of the line?

Now, this new boat? Just a stretched out DM 13? Hard to say? But that's sort of how it looks to most observers that I talk to.

Is there a market for an inexpensive 17' cc? I'm sure there is, though it's always been described to me as THE most crowded and risky part of the boatbuilding industry to try and gain any traction in; with SO many choices out there to choose from? And I'm certainly not knocking any prospective boat buyer that would choose to go this way; let's face it, our budgets dictate all; nothing new there. My comment with the 'Ferarri vs. Geo Metro' was really more to point out that the Anderson Greenoughs were so highly refined, with decades and decades worth of improvements and successful history, and a customer could order up pretty much anything that they thought of when they envisioned their 'perfect' skiff. The one shown up at the lake is but the latest one; there's several more in production and each one will bring something new and exciting to the design table and open guy's eyes for what 'next' could be done.

Anyway, that's pretty how it all looks to me, but I'd welcome any clarification. Carry on-

dm1.jpg

dm1.jpg

dm2.jpg

dm3.jpg

dm4.jpg

Upvote 0

Caseydmaze

Aug 7, 2012
Temecula
Name
Mackerel Marauder
Boat
18' Stringari Skiff
It's kinda funny how it's all about "Who's Bitchener and Who started it, and Who Copied Who!" Neener neener.....grade school arguing here.
Who cares!!! If you like it and can afford it, go buy it! If it catches fish and gets you stoked to be away from work or the rat race, then it's a great boat for you!! Nobody can take anything with them once they're dead anyway so get off the soap box and just be stoked with what you have. No need to bash someone else for theirs!!!! And if it's really about being THE BITCHENEST GUY ON
THE BLOCK.... Take your surfboard off your boat rack when you go to The Lake!!! You kinda look like a poser! Or maybe that west cove is really pumpin' as the late day 10mph whips through the oaks and creates a firing barrel along the shore that you maybe just can't resist!!
Keep it Real!!

Upvote 0

Caseydmaze

Aug 7, 2012
Temecula
Name
Mackerel Marauder
Boat
18' Stringari Skiff
Im sorry I was totally confused, my bad!!
I did a little side research and everything makes perfect sense now...
image.png
image.png
image.png

Upvote 0

flanker7

Mar 31, 2011
kingston wa usa
Name
Tev
Boat
" The grocery getter" 18ft 1996 Truline CC, Unnamed 2002 Hewescraft 179
You know..... I really liked the Greenough design and how you could easily customize them. They have a unique layout and I've kept them on my radar as a boat to look at in the future when I step up to a bigger boat. It would be one of the only ones in the PNW. The Tahiti skiff is in my current wheel house and have plans to go test drive one in Seattle. Right size, right features and right price.

That being said. Seems like this squabble between builders could have been handled off of a public forum. Nothing leaves a more bitter taste then watching grown adults fling poo at each other. You don't see the tin boat builders pulling this shit and they all look the same to me.

Upvote 0

AddyJ

Apr 2, 2016
LBC
Name
Michael johnston
Boat
177 SurfSkiff
Btw- who keeps referring to my rig as "basic,, bare bones, simple, stripped"?
@flanker7- go for a test run, you'll be impressed. I would suggest a hydrofoil

Upvote 0

AddyJ

Apr 2, 2016
LBC
Name
Michael johnston
Boat
177 SurfSkiff
Ok guys, a lot of accusations and shit talking but the bottom line is Tahiti Offshore is here with a awesome re-work of a George Greenough design. It's awesome, well balanced, efficiently powered.....and 22k. No more posts ..call Todd

Reactions: JimmyK
Upvote 0

Black Cat

Jan 19, 2016
Temecula
Name
Chris
Boat
Bertram Bahia Mar
The picture of the boat mold on page two is also in the "Post Pictures of Your Anderson" forum I believe or in the 17' Greenough build, in the "Check out my boat forum". So the Del Mar Relationship seems entirely plausible.

The difference in beam width is significant.

Upvote 0

Caseydmaze

Aug 7, 2012
Temecula
Name
Mackerel Marauder
Boat
18' Stringari Skiff
The picture of the boat mold on page two is also in the "Post Pictures of Your Anderson" forum I believe or in the 17' Greenough build, in the "Check out my boat forum". So the Del Mar Relationship seems entirely plausible.

The difference in beam width is significant.

and with this latest info....

"OK guys the judges have ruled, we're going to a third round."

Last edited:
Upvote 0

O'Bryan

Almost A Member
Nov 8, 2010
Hawthorne
Name
Brian M
Boat
Aorta
Personally I'm quite amazed at the chutzpaw of the Anderson boys. Not only have they obliterated the sprit of the "Check out my Boat" forum by bastardazing it into "check out my boat, my friends boat, someone I've never known boat, the mfg's boat yard and all the present project boats of the mfg" forum. That wasn't enough so they proceded to hijack Addy's thread of his new boat to show even more pictures and free advertising for "check out my boat, my friends boat, someone I've never known boat, the mfg's boat yard and all the mfg's present project boats". I'm surprised the moderators haven't stepped in, advertising isn't free.
(Sorry Addy, nice boat)

Reactions: bus kid
Upvote 0

AddyJ

Apr 2, 2016
LBC
Name
Michael johnston
Boat
177 SurfSkiff
Thank you, Mr O'Bryan. I kinda felt the same way but I'm mature enough to ignore the nonsense (that's a joke). Tahiti Offshore has brought to market a very sturdy, well equipped rig that an average guy can afford. Simple. If interested just give Todd a call, local Dana Point guy who is super cool and loves building boats. This skiff is a STEAL at 22k

Upvote 0

flanker7

Mar 31, 2011
kingston wa usa
Name
Tev
Boat
If I chopped down a fir tree and floated on it, then someone else chopped down a maple tree and floated on it, do I get to get mad cause it was my idea to use wood?

Upvote 0

flanker7

Mar 31, 2011
kingston wa usa
Name
Tev
Boat
If I chopped down a fir tree and floated on it, then someone else chopped down a maple tree and floated on it, do I get to get mad cause it was my idea to use wood?

Upvote 0