Tahiti Offshore SurfSkiff 177

tj805

Jan 26, 2012
Los osos
Name
Tony
Boat
19 arima sea chaser 12ft Livingston
as a small boat owner and a guy who fishes all shapes and sizes of boats.
I like the design a lot.
Arima has now come out with a cc as well and the base price is pretty close to this.
But me personally I don't care what kind of boat you have.
I care about fishing and being safe.
I think it's a pretty cool little inshore skiff.
I think what most people don't realize is you can't make a small boat fish big.
A 17 ft boat with a pilothouse or cc is still a 17 ft boat at the end of the day.

Reactions: JimmyK and AddyJ
Upvote 0

AddyJ

Apr 2, 2016
LBC
Name
Michael johnston
Boat
177 SurfSkiff
All of the positive feedback is on point! Only B-b-b-bitter B-Bill is incorrect in his analysis. I will have the skiff at the Redondo Hoist, King Harbor on Sunday 9am-2pm. Come on down and drive it for yourself.
Bagel
310-579-1465

Upvote 0

AddyJ

Apr 2, 2016
LBC
Name
Michael johnston
Boat
177 SurfSkiff
"Our boats were designed, lofted and built by superior Engineers and American craftsman in my Mommy's driveway". Hahaha.....would you boys like some cold lemonade? Doesn't get funnier!!!!

Reactions: Slicker
Upvote 0

agarcia

Almost A Member
May 19, 2006
Nor*Cal
Name
Art Garcia
Boat
rowboat
All of the positive feedback is on point! Only B-b-b-bitter B-Bill is incorrect in his analysis. I will have the skiff at the Redondo Hoist, King Harbor on Sunday 9am-2pm. Come on down and drive it for yourself.
Bagel
310-579-1465

I'd say he's got plenty to be pissed about considering you guys boosted the greenough design then started advertising the bootleg boat as a greenough style design on craigslist.

The owners of the, now defunct, Tahiti boat co probably wouldnt be all that thrilled that you didnt just rip off their name but also use the same font style also.....lol, you guys have any original thoughts on style or design at all?

Sent from my SM-G928T using Tapatalk

Upvote 0

AddyJ

Apr 2, 2016
LBC
Name
Michael johnston
Boat
177 SurfSkiff
@Garcia..read through my every post and I never referenced a Greenough, nor have I posted a C-List add. Negativity motivates me to succeed!!! Free sea trials Redondo boat hoist Sunday! Proof is in the pudding. Bitchen boat at a great price! Could only imagine the scene of Anderson, Greenough and Archemidis spilled resin on Mommy's driveway. LMFAO

Upvote 0

scwafish

Obsessed with fish
Jun 19, 2009
Nor Cal
www.gwkc.com
Name
Sean
Boat
Radoncraft 18
I agree with Agarcia...they have plenty of grounds for being pissed. Being a shameless wanker about is just lame.

You clearly have no respect for the effort it takes to create and refine a concept, Lots of amazing things have happened in "moms driveway" in America.

B-b-b-b-bBill will get the l-l-l-last laugh when you go to s-s-s-ell your b-b-b-boat.

Upvote 0

skiff

skiff
Apr 30, 2007
central coast of california
Name
Jeff
Boat
17' Radon
Ferrari vs. Geo Metro. Pretty simple-

d2.jpg

d3.jpg

d4.jpg

d5.jpg

d1.jpg

Upvote 0

agarcia

Almost A Member
May 19, 2006
Nor*Cal
Name
Art Garcia
Boat
rowboat
@Garcia..read through my every post and I never referenced a Greenough, nor have I posted a C-List add. Negativity motivates me to succeed!!! Free sea trials Redondo boat hoist Sunday! Proof is in the pudding. Bitchen boat at a great price! Could only imagine the scene of Anderson, Greenough and Archemidis spilled resin on Mommy's driveway. LMFAO

Reread my post.....i said you guys....meaning you and your business partner (or employer, buddy, whatever.....at least i hope you have some kind of financial incentive for schilling the boat this hard).

uploadfromtaptalk1463756966891.png

I think pretty much anybody here can get behind a california boat builder that produces an affordable skiff....taking one of the better known hull designs and trying to reintroduce it as your own in a localized niche market just doesn't seem like the smartest business plan. Bashing the designer that created the hull you bootlegged isnt all that smart either lol. If i recall, the BAMF sales rep was pretty loud on bd also.....i dont think things worked out too well for them.

I'll let that be my last post in this infomercial of a post.....i hear if you call to order a boat in the next 30 minutes you get a box full of banjo minnows and they'll even throw in a popeil pocket fisherman!

Reactions: Canyon
Upvote 0

TK7000

May 4, 2016
San Diego
Name
Todd
Boat
Tahiti Offshore
1. SKIFF: That is a great Anderson pilothouse boat- How is that anything close to a simple surf skiff center console?
2. I am in no way competing with Anderson, nor have I said anything bad about the owner. At shows, we tell people to go buy one if you want a pilothouse.
3. I simply stated: " If you are going to attack someone, attack the thresher doods who bring china shit in, china wants your job "

Ferrari vs Geo Metro?

How about Ferrari vs. Ford Fusion. I would be happy with that.

Again splashing a boat takes me buying an Anderson boat, taking it down to my shop. Flipping it and pulling a tool off of it.

My bottom will not fit in the original Greenough Molds, they are different.
I did not tool this bottom, why would i invest money in a 17' boat with very small margins.
I tooled the center console deck tool to finish the boat off. Originally we were just going to do a rolled gunnel chopper gun deck, but a fully finished linered deck with drains was the best decision.

If you want a custom build pilothouse buy an Anderson.

If you are looking at a Robalo 180, Parker 18, Key West 180 and Sea Fox 180 then come for a ride in our boat. That is the only comparison I want.

If you are bashing the Tahiti name, the company went under many years ago in the 1980s. I like the name, I still build custom ski boats, so how am I doing any injustice to the Schuster family who originated Schuster Boats, Tahiti Boats and Caribbean Boats in the 1960s/70s and 80s?

I just got the Calabria ski boat molds to build, I bought tools from Seahunter Boats.

The Surf Skiff is a price point 17' CC to go fish, go bay cruising, go skiing, do whatever you want without killing your bank account. It is built to a higher standard, with extreme value as the core principle.

All the hardware is 316 Stainless.
Steering: Baystar Hydraulic
Engine: Suzuki
Trailer: McClain Aluminum torsion axle
Cushions: 40oz flotilla vinyl baseball stitch
Glass: Vinylester, 1608 woven roven, core mat hull sides, flotation foam hull stringers and hull sides. Hand Lay
Deck: self bailing
Fuel System: EPA Carbon Canister 30gal belly tank

If we cannot build boats to a lower price point, how are we going to get anyone new out in the water?

I appreciate all of your comments positive or negative.

Upvote 0

RyanErb

Love to fish!
  • Aug 7, 2012
    All over the 805
    Name
    Ryan
    Boat
    OnTheWater
    Not to 'muddy the waters' but would you ever offer a pilot house version?

Of course, you would keep your standard 'budget' friendly center console version, but for someone who wants to spend the extra cash, you could make them a pilothouse version.

Just an idea....

Reactions: gunnyslinger
    Upvote 0

AddyJ

Apr 2, 2016
    LBC
    Name
    Michael johnston
    Boat
    177 SurfSkiff
    It's not a splash, Do you not get that? I will have the boat in the water Sunday in Redondo Beach. I like dosXX

Upvote 0

bman440440

I am the one who knocks!!!
    Sep 8, 2010
    San Diego 92117
    Name
    B-MAN
    Boat
    Heisenberg(20' Maxum), Sip N' Slide (33' 2 deck w/slide) Ships & Giggles (32' double deck pontoon)
    here is my 2c... Ferrari vs Geo Metro(Ford Fusion) yes BUT Ferrari $150,000+ and Geo Metro(Ford Fusion) $30,000... and in the end both are a for of going from point a to point b... yes one is more stylish than the other and one will do 150+ MPH but for $150,000 it better! some of you guys seem to be missing the point here that its a budget minded no frills boat that gets the job done... and for the people that are complaining about it being a copy cat boat DONT BUY ONE.... I'm in no way affiliated with them (Tahiti) but if they are for the sake of the argument copying a design of a hull I'm sure that some ones lawyer will come knocking and put and end to it... but personally if they are filling a needed hole in the boat market and are MADE IN THE USA as well more power to them!

Upvote 0

agarcia

Almost A Member
    May 19, 2006
    Nor*Cal
    Name
    Art Garcia
    Boat
    rowboat
    If you are bashing the Tahiti name, the company went under many years ago in the 1980s. I like the name, I still build custom ski boats, so how am I doing any injustice to the Schuster family who originated Schuster Boats, Tahiti Boats and Caribbean Boats in the 1960s/70s and 80s?

Only posting again to clarify..... I said they probably wouldnt be thrilled that you're taking both their name and their logo. Most people arent happy when you copy their work, even defunct branding. Perhaps you know the schusters and have their blessing to use the name and logo...if thats the case then i stand corrected. Let us know and i will retract all my statements in regards to the name.

Again splashing a boat takes me buying an Anderson boat, taking it down to my shop. Flipping it and pulling a tool off of it.

It's not a splash, Do you not get that? I will have the boat in the water Sunday in Redondo Beach. I like dosXX

I'd say most of us are aware of what splashing a hull is. It's obvious you're choosing your words here very carefully. That doesn't mean you havent copied or stolen someone else's work.

Please refer back to the vanilla ice video.....we see what you did there.

here is my 2c... Ferrari vs Geo Metro(Ford Fusion) yes BUT Ferrari $150,000+ and Geo Metro(Ford Fusion) $30,000... and in the end both are a for of going from point a to point b... yes one is more stylish than the other and one will do 150+ MPH but for $150,000 it better! some of you guys seem to be missing the point here that its a budget minded no frills boat that gets the job done... and for the people that are complaining about it being a copy cat boat DONT BUY ONE.... I'm in no way affiliated with them (Tahiti) but if they are for the sake of the argument copying a design of a hull I'm sure that some ones lawyer will come knocking and put and end to it... but personally if they are filling a needed hole in the boat market and are MADE IN THE USA as well more power to them!

Not quite....Id say the business ethics of tahiti arent any better than knock off chinese products. He said himself the margins on a 17 footer are already slim. If he had to design one himself, build the plug, pay for tooling cost, r&d and overhead through that period of development would all have to be built into the price of the boat......lol, then itd be....about the price of an anderson.

In regards to being made in the USA, the obvious advantages here are amercan jobs, product quality and keeping american dollars in the american market. Id say these are all moot points. He's competing with other price point american builders except he has a distinct competitive advantage in that he has lessened his investment in developing his own product and can ride the marketing coat tails of the design he "modeled." Someone buys his boat, they're not buying one of the others.....thats US production and job loss, just in another part of the us. We dont know about quality, time tells that story.

I get it, he didnt make the molds, he let someone else do the dirty work and absorb the cost. Nothing wrong with buying someone elses molds or even licensing the name, thats a business deal. This case clearly isnt however. I'm sure the value lost isnt worth the cost of a lawsuit.

Upvote 0

TK7000

May 4, 2016
    San Diego
    Name
    Todd
    Boat
    Tahiti Offshore
    Art-
    "Not quite....Id say the business ethics of tahiti arent any better than knock off chinese products. He said himself the margins on a 17 footer are already slim. If he had to design one himself, build the plug, pay for tooling cost, r&d and overhead through that period of development would all have to be built into the price of the boat......lol, then itd be....about the price of an anderson."

I get it, he didnt make the molds, he let someone else do the dirty work and absorb the cost. Nothing wrong with buying someone elses molds or even licensing the name, thats a business deal. This case clearly isnt however. I'm sure the value lost isnt worth the cost of a lawsuit.

That is a strong comment, I would prefer if we just talk in person. You are obviously upset and it is best to talk man to man about your concerns.

Upvote 0