Canyon

Mover
Sep 22, 2013
Santa Barbara
Name
Colin
Boat
Less
Wet weight rolling is around 3k lbs with the HD aluminum trailer.
We build them locally in San Diego CA, glass shop is out in the IE.
Layup: 100% vinylester resin. We lay full length stringers and 4 bulk heads. Hullsides are coremat, deck was balsa inlayed. We are now using Coosa Foam PVC Core. Belly tank is 30gal.

Simple effective surf skiff fishing machine.

Bait tank seat is coming- 35 gallons sealed tank with optional back rest drop in.

I have dealers in Washington: Waypoint Boats and Motors white skiff w BF90 Honda.
South Florida: IBOF Naples FL w sea foam green skiff with DF70 Suzuki.

We have one in stock $22k locally rolling on a trailer. Buy factory direct in CA.
email [email protected]

Thanks bagel- stoked your happy

View attachment 761355

Could you explain to us your methodology in the design of your hull?

Upvote 0

TK7000

May 4, 2016
San Diego
Name
Todd
Boat
Tahiti Offshore
Canyon-

I had to look up the definition: Methodology is the systematic, theoretical analysis of the methods applied to a field of study. It comprises the theoretical analysis of the body of methods and principles associated with a branch of knowledge.

This is going to be long............

I grew up in Dana Point, CA but boating wise we river boated out in Parker. So since 2001 I have been involved in the Wakeboard Towboats and Performance Boat Markets.

Fast forward to 2012, my tooler Chuck Guy who is quite famous in the Custom Boat World " Tooled the DCB F-29, all the Ultra Custom Boats, Orion 27 and 24 Cats for me back in the early 2000s."
Anyways he came to me and said " Hey i've got a lobster boat mold, do you want to finish it? " It got dropped off at my glass shop.

From that we tooled a deck around 2013/14 as I had been traveling to Florida a lot doing Yacht Tenders so I wanted a simple bay boat inspired deck design. Part Carolina Skiff, Part Pathfinder, Part Jones Brothers. So i stole designs from boats I liked over there.

Traveling a lot for work, we didn't get to finishing the first hull until 2015 or even test it. My dealers wanted a Surf Skiff so the first boats went out to Seattle and Florida.

I am not sure if this answers your question about methodology on hull design. I am not a naval architect. Im a boat builder, rigger and traveling sales rep.

If you are inferring that it is a splash of the famous George Greenough Skiffs, then by all means take one of my bare hulls and try to fit it inside the Greenough 17 bottom tool. It will not fit.

Our boats are 100% vinylester built, 2 piece construction with foam infused stringers and decksides. The deck is self bailing and is designed around the 70HP powerplant. The console design I took from the 23T contender.

The reasoning behind building this boat was to provide a price point fishy skiff for guys like me. Working class dads who surf and fish, but life has taken away our fun money. So we are on a budget.

I hope this helps you understand the what where why and how.
Call me anytime to talk boats and shreds.

IMG_2324.jpg IMG_6880.jpg

Upvote 0

Unassailable

Professional Amateur
Aug 26, 2009
San Diego
Name
John B
Boat
BW
I've got a few questions for either Michael or Todd.

1) What's the hull weight alone?
2) What's the hull warranty?
3) Option to put yamaha 90 on it?
4) Option to have folding T-top or discount without it so we can have one installed?

Thanks.

Upvote 0

SurfSeeker

Captain
Jan 8, 2014
Santa Barbara
Name
Taylor
Boat
Radon 15 "Bixby Bandit" (SOLD), Hawkins 10, 17' Outrage
How does the cost of a Tahiti compare to an Anderson Greenough 17 with a similar set up? The 10 year hull warranty seams pretty legit. I would also be curious about the fuel burn numbers compared to a G-17.

Reactions: AddyJ
Upvote 0

flanker7

Mar 31, 2011
kingston wa usa
Name
Tev
Boat
" The grocery getter" 18ft 1996 Truline CC, Unnamed 2002 Hewescraft 179
Are there any other console options? Maybe something slimmer for not walking around room? Also what's the max Hp?

Upvote 0

AddyJ

Apr 2, 2016
LBC
Name
Michael johnston
Boat
177 SurfSkiff
I can answer a few of them
-10yr hull warranty, 6 year engine warranty thru Suzuki
-$1,200 extra for a 90hp (same block, gearing, etc) as the 70
-fuel burn was just under 4mpg in sporty weather without trim tabs
Todd will have to chime in for the rest.
I can tell you his goal of creating an affordable, tough skiff is based on controlling costs by building a low maintenance production boat. The layout is 3 pieces with bolt on hardware, a success in controlling fabrication and labor costs.

Reactions: Aliikai17
Upvote 0

AddyJ

Apr 2, 2016
LBC
Name
Michael johnston
Boat
177 SurfSkiff
Demand for a custom skiff should probably head to the Anderson yard. In previous threads of G17 builds, numbers in the high $30k- mid $40k were posted. Outside of my budget parameters.

Upvote 0

AddyJ

Apr 2, 2016
LBC
Name
Michael johnston
Boat
177 SurfSkiff
Anyone interested, I can bring the skiff to Davies Saturday morning. You can check the quality for yourself. Hit me up.

Upvote 0

TK7000

May 4, 2016
San Diego
Name
Todd
Boat
Tahiti Offshore
The Console is big, but there is plenty of room to run around it and throw irons or beers.

Delete the T Top is simple. It saves you some cash.

Hinging T Tops are gnarly, I would say just go without one. That sounds like it may fold when you are running hard.

Bagel is rad- i got some fresh Nation Surfboard visors for you bud.

I am OEM Suzuki so doing a Yamaha is not cheap. Add $1800 for the F70LA.
The Suzuki lean burn 4stroke technology is sano, you will not need to go to a Yamaha. I can sell you a bare hull and you rig it, i put a huge rigging tube in the hull so it is simple.

Hull Weight bare is like 1500 range, i have not weighed one yet

IMG_1245.JPG

Upvote 0

Big Bad Bill

Mar 30, 2011
Santa Barbara Channel
Name
Big Bad Bill
Boat
Bijoux Del Mar
When you want a REAL George Greenough design contact Anderson Custom Boats in Goleta.
All of our Greenough molds were built from Masters hand built by my good friend George Greenough at his moms house in Montecito, not splashed and copied. We can build you more than one model, larger fuel tanks, house and bunks for more than a day trip, protection from the weather on those longer trips to offshore islands. Of course the cost is greater than a naked center console.

ALL of our molds were from original masters lofted and built in house by American craftsmen. Superior designs by superior craftsmen and engineers. We don't splash other hulls and then call them our own.

We build our boats with quality materials and have a proven record of (over 400 boats built in the last 35 years) Durable, high quality, rugged offshore boats of superior designs. NOT A COPY

Buy a cheap copy of only one design.
1) I wonder why you don't build your own designs?
Chuck Guy 17 ???????? Amato in Ensenada copied our Anderson 26 and build some inferior boats, number nine had one and tried to say we built it. A poor copy by poor craftsmen.

2) How do you fish the rail when your foot hits the interior liner before your shin hits the cover board? Less expensive to build but inferior to fish. Who designed the liner? Where do the rod holders drain to? lnner hull?

3) What if you want twins or longer shaft (25") on you single outboard? I guess less expensive this way

4) Larger fuel tank. Easier to go to those outer Islands.

5) How does the door on the front of the console seal in a rough sea? When the weatherstrip gets old? Are the electrical connections going to be dry? I hope your VHF works when you need it.

6) 10 year warranty by a company that has only been building boats 1 year?

Reactions: One_Leg
Upvote 0

TK7000

May 4, 2016
San Diego
Name
Todd
Boat
Tahiti Offshore
Chuck Guy 17 ???????? Amato in Ensenada copied our Anderson 26 and build some inferior boats, number nine had one and tried to say we built it. A poor copy by poor craftsmen.

Bill thank you for the insight. The bottom tool was given to me by Chuck Guy, I then tooled a deck for it. I would not have tooled a new 17' boat as the margins are too small. We are tooling a 23' center console from bottom up. I do not know the Amato guys so I have no idea about the Anderson splash.

2) How do you fish the rail when your foot hits the interior liner before your shin hits the cover board? Less expensive to build but inferior to fish. Who designed the liner? Where do the rod holders drain to? lnner hull?

- It is a 2 piece construction to compete with the price points of Carolina Skiff, KeyWest, and other production builders.
- The rod holders have drain tubes which empty into the bilge.
- All 2 piece boats have their short comings when it comes to bow angling. The 3 piece boats are not super popular in a 17' boat. Let alone anything smaller then 25' in the center console fish market.

3) What if you want twins or longer shaft (25") on you single outboard? I guess less expensive this way

- I rigged the boat for a 70HP as most dealers i deal with stock a 70hp. So sending them pre-rig boats is a financial bonus for the builder and the dealer. Again, the boat is only 17'. Why would you want Twin 40s on a 17' ? That is not my market.

- Again, its a price point. I have EPA 30gallon belly tanks for carbon canistor so I put them in the boats. Im not trying to build the ultimate 17' fishing boat. I am just producing a simple 17' skiff that is affordable.

5) How does the door on the front of the console seal in a rough sea? When the weatherstrip gets old? Are the electrical connections going to be dry? I hope your VHF works when you need it.

- It has a latch. Contender uses the same set up and no one has complained.
Wiring is all abyc standards and heat shrinked.

- Bill, we have been building custom boats and ski boats for many years. Our glass is a time tested layup. We are not re-inventing the wheel.

If there is anything else you would like to know- please reach out and just call me.

- Todd

Big Bad Bill, Yesterday at 10:58 PM

Upvote 0

tanner.s

Fish Slaughterer
Oct 18, 2012
San Diego
Name
Tanner
Boat
1997 Proline 23 W/A

Bill thank you for the insight. The bottom tool was given to me by Chuck Guy, I then tooled a deck for it. I would not have tooled a new 17' boat as the margins are too small. We are tooling a 23' center console from bottom up. I do not know the Amato guys so I have no idea about the Anderson splash.

- It is a 2 piece construction to compete with the price points of Carolina Skiff, KeyWest, and other production builders.
- The rod holders have drain tubes which empty into the bilge.
- All 2 piece boats have their short comings when it comes to bow angling. The 3 piece boats are not super popular in a 17' boat. Let alone anything smaller then 25' in the center console fish market.

- I rigged the boat for a 70HP as most dealers i deal with stock a 70hp. So sending them pre-rig boats is a financial bonus for the builder and the dealer. Again, the boat is only 17'. Why would you want Twin 40s on a 17' ? That is not my market.

- Again, its a price point. I have EPA 30gallon belly tanks for carbon canistor so I put them in the boats. Im not trying to build the ultimate 17' fishing boat. I am just producing a simple 17' skiff that is affordable.

- It has a latch. Contender uses the same set up and no one has complained.
Wiring is all abyc standards and heat shrinked.

- Bill, we have been building custom boats and ski boats for many years. Our glass is a time tested layup. We are not re-inventing the wheel.

If there is anything else you would like to know- please reach out and just call me.

- Todd

Big Bad Bill, Yesterday at 10:58 PM
I see what you're saying, though it doesn't seem bill does. He is a great boat builder and pioneer, I concede; however, he doesn't see the big picture on this skiff. It can't compete with his skiffs, and it shouldn't! It's a different ball park and game altogether.

He's not understanding that this is not the boat to end all boats, it is a simple budget skiff that works and is safe - an alternative to spending big bucks on a refined Greenough. You get a less refined, yet seemingly well constructed and simple boat for half the price.

Upvote 0

SurfSeeker

Captain
Jan 8, 2014
Santa Barbara
Name
Taylor
Boat
Radon 15 "Bixby Bandit" (SOLD), Hawkins 10, 17' Outrage
The two boats appeal to two completely different target markets. The Tahiti appeals to the budget fishermen who wants a vessel to get them on the water. Not too many frills, simple, and effective. The person who would spend the extra money on the Anderson Greenough G17 is looking for something more refined that won't only get them to their destination, but once they get there they will be comfortable with whatever creature comforts they decide to add. The greenough allows you endless freedoms on build design while the Tahiti is very basic. I don't think Tahiti will be stealing any Anderson customers because these are two completely different styles of boats using a similar hull design. In my opinion the Anderson customer will have more boating experience than the Tahiti owner in the aspect of knowing exactly what they like and don't like. But that's just my two cents...

Upvote 0

TK7000

May 4, 2016
San Diego
Name
Todd
Boat
Tahiti Offshore
Thanks guys. Im not sure why Bill came at this thread but I appreciate his comments. If you want to attack someone, go after the Thresher dudes who bring China boats in. China wants your job, not me.

We build boats in southern california, and last I checked we are a dying breed.

The Surf Skiffs is simple, yes but it is the value that everyone is missing on.
$22,000.00

Boat comes built with vinylester resin lamination, full length stringers with bulkheads bow and aft, the deck is going to cored with PVC foam core so no wood, no rot. Its not laminated plywood with paint. 100% gel coat.

- Hydraulic Steering with stainless offshore wheel.
- 4 gunnel rod holders / 4 on leaning post / t top options
- 2 transom storage: release wells, ice chest etc. Customizable
- Bait Tank Seat will be 35 gallon ready and a $850 up charge
- Console can fit a 15" screen plotter, cupholder is free.
- Rig Kit: Gauges and Binnacle Control Suzuki.
- Auto Bilge
- 6 POS switch panel w fuse panel and main breaker.
- Battery Switch with HD 24 Battery in box
- Console front door with porta potty option
- Eisenglass enclosure- yes option is easy
- Bow locker is a casting platform with recess for 5 gallon bucket
- 3 pop out cleats stainless
- Trailers are McClain Single Axle Aluminum IBEAM. no shit galvanized
- Non skid deck liner is self bailing
- 30 gallon belly tank
- 70-100hp rated

If you are going to compare the Surf Skiff against anything- compare it with the Robalo 180, the 18 Parker, Carolina Skiff, 17-18 Key West those boats. Not a custom pilothouse.

No one wants to be king of the 17' boats, that crown would be shitty.

Upvote 0

RyanErb

Love to fish!
  • Aug 7, 2012
    All over the 805
    Name
    Ryan
    Boat
    OnTheWater
    Looks like a nice skiff for the right price that a lot of people could likely afford!

Would love to see how these end up doing over time. I understand Tahiti built boats for a long time but also understand they are no longer in production, which could be for a wide variety of reasons, quality not being one of them, I'm not sure.

Are all the other boats in the Tahiti Offshore line in production as well? (that are listed on the website).

Reactions: AddyJ
    Upvote 0

TK7000

May 4, 2016
    San Diego
    Name
    Todd
    Boat
    Tahiti Offshore
    Looks like a nice skiff for the right price that a lot of people could likely afford!

Would love to see how these end up doing over time. I understand Tahiti built boats for a long time but also understand they are no longer in production, which could be for a wide variety of reasons, quality not being one of them, I'm not sure.

Are all the other boats in the Tahiti Offshore line in production as well? (that are listed on the website).

Tahiti ski boats went out in the 1980s. I always liked the name so when we decided to go into salt water fish boats we grabbed the name and added offshore.

We have the 177 Surf Skiff in production.
    The plug for the 23CC is in tooling.
    31CC Tool i have to pick up from Larry Smith, its stored at willard now.
    35CC is going into glass in two weeks. Have a boat sold to my dealer in Fort Meyers FL. It is the 35CC from Seahunter Boats. I bought the tool last year.
    Have a 40' cc bottom plug im going to make into a fish around CC later when demand comes.

we still build custom boats lake havasu style so right now due to seasonality, we are busy with customs.

Upvote 0

JimmyK

Fisherman wannabe
    Jun 1, 2009
    Waipahu, Hawaii
    Name
    JimmyK
    Boat
    18' Olympic CC, Krystana C.
    Very nice looking boat! Got a few questions:How's the handling? With that high bow, I would assume this skiff can handle in choppy waters, and going downhill? Good placement for access to the console. Would it be possible that the console be moved fwd as much as possible and maybe a "half" hatch be installed? I realize this would be a custom job, some working space behind the leaning post is nice!

Upvote 0

TK7000

May 4, 2016
    San Diego
    Name
    Todd
    Boat
    Tahiti Offshore
    Jimmy- for a 17' boat it handles great. The dory style nose is integral for downwind runs as the hull is only 17'. The best way is to come drive one, I always have a turn key boat in San Diego CA if they make it over to the mainland. I have a buyer in Maui who wants one, working on pasha quotes now.

We build them 100% in house so console changes - anything can be done. It is just a matter of $$$$.

Upvote 0

flytie

Oct 20, 2012
    Orange, CA USA
    Name
    GC
    Boat
    Out of Office - Custom Invader CC
    Nice deal. If I weren't mid way through modernizing and customizing my Invader, I would go this way and save a ton of cash. Nice entry level rig, not the end all be all, but a way to get in the game with a reliable bucket and give you the chops to move up to that custom as time and money permit.

The industry should look at this as a good thing as a whole. The car mfgs and truck mfgs do the same thing. People don't start out driving a Porsche...

Upvote 0

AddyJ

Apr 2, 2016
    LBC
    Name
    Michael johnston
    Boat
    177 SurfSkiff
    Well, with all that being said......free demo's! Just hit me up and I can drop the skiff in at Davies or Redondo. You can come drive it before laying down your $. The skiff is affordable NOT cheap! Huge difference.

Reactions: JimmyK
    Upvote 0