sealskinner

Retired Pimp
  • Apr 24, 2005
    in the Hood
    Name
    Mike
    Boat
    Franks ho
    I talked to my buddy Fred (Daily Double) today.
    Last week an angler caught a tagged Sand bass.
    0Zausb.jpeg

What follows is the biologist report.

Hey Fred! That fish was tagged during the San Diego Anglers Open Bay Bass Tournament. We tagged it on Feb 1st, 2014, held it in the bait receivers for two weeks, and released it at the receivers on Feb 19, 2014. It was 15 inches at the time so it grew 5.5 inches in 7 1/4 years. Looks like he left the bay and went to IB. Thanks for the report!

I figured they would be faster growing than that.

sdfishkiller

Cod Smuggler
    Mar 13, 2005
    Point Loma
    Name
    Todd Victor Mora
    Boat
    19' Whaler: EL SUPER LIZARDFISH
    remember about 15-20 yrs ago they caught all the Sandies on the IB/TJ flats......and they never have returned....

Upvote 0

SMYLEE

3 different fishermen use this account
    Mar 9, 2011
    San Diego, CA, USA
    Name
    ""
    Boat
    24'custom
    remember about 15-20 yrs ago they caught all the Sandies on the IB/TJ flats......and they never have returned....
    Luckily they're returning! We've had some solid days working those flats. When I worked with Fred And Chad we used to put big numbers on deck with plenty still stacking the water column under the boat when we left.

Upvote 0
    May 8, 2020
    Point Loma
    Name
    Troy
    Boat
    Fun Ones
    Luckily they're returning! We've had some solid days working those flats. When I worked with Fred And Chad we used to put big numbers on deck with plenty still stacking the water column under the boat when we left.
    They found the single mass spawning group that’s occurred in like 15 years, let’s not get to excited. Didn’t see it the year before and the area only produced fish two two or three times last year.. and the bite was picky. 2019… That fishing was insane… caught some fish on the most ridiculous lures out there.

Upvote 0

sdfishkiller

Cod Smuggler
    Mar 13, 2005
    Point Loma
    Name
    Todd Victor Mora
    Boat
    19' Whaler: EL SUPER LIZARDFISH
    They found the single mass spawning group that’s occurred in like 15 years, let’s not get to excited. Didn’t see it the year before and the area only produced fish two two or three times last year.. and the bite was picky. 2019… That fishing was insane… caught some fish on the most ridiculous lures out there.
    We would catch them on cigarette butts with a rubber core :)

Reactions: One_Leg
    Upvote 0

PaDDy Killer'

I Should Upgrade My Account
    May 9, 2008
    Santa Clarita
    Name
    Patrick
    Boat
    Parker 2520 & 17' Whaler
    We used to slay the shit out of them in the smb 20 years ago. Eat up the whams, and blams, keys on a hook, you name it. Leave them biting. Seems that damage never recovered or those masses moved to new places. Now I let them and calico bass go. Rockfish taste better.

Upvote 0

Latest posts