tady 4/0

clintonstick

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Mar 18, 2014
Name
mike
Boat
g3
i have fished with salas 6x and 7x jr deep jigs and worked very well, i bought some guys tackle and it has some tady 4/0 wanted to know the difference, also does it work well to paint older jigs

tunanorth

Dec 4, 2005
By the lake
Name
Tunanorth
Boat
Bass Tracker 16
Check carefully to see if any of those older Tady 4/0's are "lights".
If so, treat them like gold, as they are among the best surface jigs ever made.
Regular 4/0 "heavies" are phenomenal yo-yo jigs.
Re-painting older jigs is always fun, and adds to the interest when a fish bites them, but the ugliest ones often catch the most fish.

Bigsurfer

Sep 7, 2014
Name
Todd
Boat
None
I have a few Salas 6x's and a blue and white Tady 4/0...still looking to get a yellow on the jig too!

skipjackrobert

Apr 2, 2013
The OC
Name
Rob
Boat
The Constitution or Tomahawk with Stan
I found a 4/0 tonight in my jig bag!
Re-painting older jigs is always fun, and adds to the interest when a fish bites them, but the ugliest ones often catch the most fish.

Shakey

Nov 5, 2010
San Diego
Name
Jason
Boat
Your Boat
4/0 blue/chrome is my go to for yo-yo. It's a killer.

diseasedscrotum

Mar 17, 2007
Redlands, CA
Name
Doug
Boat
water wings
Steve Carson's response concerning the "Tady 4/0 light" brings up a question that I've had for many years. Dont mean to be a thread jacker, but I was wondering if some of the other "light" versions of our classic yo-yo jigs are useful/effective surface jigs or just an attempt by jig manufacturer to sell more iron--- 6x jr light, CP 105 light, Tady 9/0 light, Salas 6x light, Tady A2 light, etc. Any wisdom from the BD members???

Katie

Nov 16, 2009
Thousand Oaks, Ca / usa
Name
Daniel Fitzgerald
Boat
sport boats
Steve Carson's response concerning the "Tady 4/0 light" brings up a question that I've had for many years. Dont mean to be a thread jacker, but I was wondering if some of the other "light" versions of our classic yo-yo jigs are useful/effective surface jigs or just an attempt by jig manufacturer to sell more iron--- 6x jr light, CP 105 light, Tady 9/0 light, Salas 6x light, Tady A2 light, etc. Any wisdom from the BD members???
Some of the 4/0 lights were really good, but like all Tady lures of the older era, the lure was 'made' on the grinding belt. If it was ground right it could be really good, but hit it wrong on the belt and even the best lure blank was toast. I've got some 4/0 lights that look a lot like a big A-1, came out of a bag that was sitting in the back corner of the old plant, that are really pretty cool. Tady likely made just about every lure in both light and heavy versions, and each would work to some varying degree. 9 lights, 9/0 lights... A2's could be really good. I've got a single hook BA light that is a very slow, very tight pattern jig. All that said, there's a reason the ones you're familiar with stuck around, like 45's, C's and A-1's- they consistently fish well, they collectively cover the bulk of the size spectrum (but dammit bring back the 14A!!!) and they sold well as surface lures. FWIW, Tady made an amazing number of different lures over the years, which really isn't part of this discussion. Again, if any of those were ground right, they'd swim in some type of pattern.
Full size 6X's, older ones that are light, some of those were very good as they had pretty sharp edges to them. 7Xjrs in surface lures can be really good and those are pretty close to CP105's. I have fished light CP105's long ago, although I don't remember catching anything on them. The YoYo series- 1's and 4's especially- could be really good. A YoYo4 light that has clearly defined hips and sharp edges can be a damned good little lure.

Sgtsilbaugh

"Keep calm and.........FISH ON!!!!"
Apr 14, 2014
Brea
Name
Kevin
Boat
qajaq
My first kayak yt was on a 4/0 white luminous jig with the red "s". I used it in the squid beds

diseasedscrotum

Mar 17, 2007
Redlands, CA
Name
Doug
Boat
water wings
Thanks to all and especially to Daniel for your very well thought out explanation concerning "light" versions of our numerous yo-yo jigs. Anyone else care to comment on this topic of "lights"?
I was also wondering if any of you jigging experts in BD cyberland have any comments to make concerning the use of tady's numerous spoons that were manufactured in the past, but are now very scarce -- Y-2's, Tady Go-Go's, Y-1's, Etc. Any good stories about "the one's that DIDNT get away" when using these spoons might be fun to share as well.
Thanks to all for your contributions.

eddiefishtaco

Jul 16, 2009
FONTANA,CA USA
Name
EDDIE
Boat
sold
Paint a 1/4 inch stripe of glow in the dark
Along one side of the jig and watch how it out fishes the rest.Eddie

Reactions: clintonstick

clintonstick

Mar 18, 2014
Name
mike
Boat
g3
is this one you say is good its 4/3/4 inch feels light and its old,thanks

image.jpg

clintonstick

Mar 18, 2014
Name
mike
Boat
g3
Paint a 1/4 inch stripe of glow in the dark
Along one side of the jig and watch how it out fishes the rest.Eddie
thanks i have some glow jig paint from my freshwater stuff i will try it,,i noticed last trip i was on bright flourescent jigs did very well in the morning,then i kind of kicked ass on them in the middle of the day on brown and white.I can say no color i have ever fished in freshwater will consistenly beat brown,except low light glow and charteuse .

eddiefishtaco

Jul 16, 2009
FONTANA,CA USA
Name
EDDIE
Boat
sold
Just don't use too much
some jigs have it only on the belly
And the eyes

tunanorth

Dec 4, 2005
By the lake
Name
Tunanorth
Boat
Bass Tracker 16
is this one you say is good its 4/3/4 inch feels light and its old,thanks

View attachment 568272

Looks like a Tady "AA", and has a VMC hook instead of a Mustad, so its not too old. Not quite the same as a 4/0 light, though.
As for the "flat metal" Tady's, they mostly belong to a different era, one with more abundant barracuda and bonito in local waters.
If you can find a "Tady 2" in yellow/chrome, and have bigger bonito in the water around you, it will win that half-day jackpot, trust me.
Ditto Tady 2's and Tady 22's in blue/chrome are great on barracuda, but do get bit off.
One nice thing about the flat ones is that they cast easily on typical cheap spinning combos often used by half-day passengers.
Tady "Y-2", which is a "triple-thick" model and sinks fast, was excellent on slide albacore in the pre-swimbait era.

jer dog

Fishing is life
Jun 22, 2006
Garden Grove
Name
Gerry
Boat
One that floats
Thanks to all and especially to Daniel for your very well thought out explanation concerning "light" versions of our numerous yo-yo jigs. Anyone else care to comment on this topic of "lights"?
I was also wondering if any of you jigging experts in BD cyberland have any comments to make concerning the use of tady's numerous spoons that were manufactured in the past, but are now very scarce -- Y-2's, Tady Go-Go's, Y-1's, Etc. Any good stories about "the one's that DIDNT get away" when using these spoons might be fun to share as well.
Thanks to all for your contributions.
I'm glad they brought back the Tady A1 'great jig

bhawk0030

Aug 9, 2016
FL panhandle/gulf coast
Name
Brian Hawkins
Boat
No
Some of the 4/0 lights were really good, but like all Tady lures of the older era, the lure was 'made' on the grinding belt. If it was ground right it could be really good, but hit it wrong on the belt and even the best lure blank was toast. I've got some 4/0 lights that look a lot like a big A-1, came out of a bag that was sitting in the back corner of the old plant, that are really pretty cool. Tady likely made just about every lure in both light and heavy versions, and each would work to some varying degree. 9 lights, 9/0 lights... A2's could be really good. I've got a single hook BA light that is a very slow, very tight pattern jig. All that said, there's a reason the ones you're familiar with stuck around, like 45's, C's and A-1's- they consistently fish well, they collectively cover the bulk of the size spectrum (but dammit bring back the 14A!!!) and they sold well as surface lures. FWIW, Tady made an amazing number of different lures over the years, which really isn't part of this discussion. Again, if any of those were ground right, they'd swim in some type of pattern.
Full size 6X's, older ones that are light, some of those were very good as they had pretty sharp edges to them. 7Xjrs in surface lures can be really good and those are pretty close to CP105's. I have fished light CP105's long ago, although I don't remember catching anything on them. The YoYo series- 1's and 4's especially- could be really good. A YoYo4 light that has clearly defined hips and sharp edges can be a damned good little lure.
Rad they did haha!

jerryl

Jul 17, 2011
West Hills, CA, USA
Name
Jerry
Boat
N/A
How much are the 4/0 lights going for? What's a fair price?

J.AkuHed

Jul 5, 2003
Temecula
Visit site
Name
Jim
Boat
Your boat!
You are in luck! Check your favorite tackle shop, there is a new run by Tady for brand new Tady 4/0 lights!

Reactions: jerryl

coastalwerks

Apr 20, 2010
San Diego, CA USA
Name
Lance De Guzman
Boat
Local Kine!
Don’t know what is a fair price but was checking them out at Dana Landing tackle shop today and they were running for $16.99/each. So, $18 and some change after taxes. Don’t know much about them or how they swim.

jerryl

Jul 17, 2011
West Hills, CA, USA
Name
Jerry
Boat
N/A
Just curious, because I have bunch of old tady 4/0, tady 9, and others just collecting dust.