Tackle Suggestions for Skiff Trip?

Discussion in 'San Diego Long Range fishing Reports' started by crabdancer, Dec 3, 2014.

1. crabdancer

crabdancer Kook

Name:
    Shannon
    Boat:
    Edgewater
    I've always wanted to do a skiff trip since I was a kid, and I finally booked one. I know things have changed with the way folks fish bass on these trips and I've got seven months to get prepared so I figured I'd throw this out here now.

I feel pretty confident about my rods and reels for the big boat, but I want to make the most of my time in the skiff. I plan on bringing some backup reels because doing good work can put the lighter stuff with heavy braid out of commission. I also plan on bringing some extra shimano ARBs in case I kill some.

I fish local bass on my skiff with my friends and maintain the gear and the boat, but I don't want to be a kook on this trip, so any suggestions for helpful gear would really be appreciated. I really want to enjoy this time off.

So far my rod/reel list is:

Graphite USA 85 Mag/300ej (with spare reel)-(65 braid)
    Graphite USA 85 Mega Mag/ct400s-(65 braid)
    Shikari 909H/tn14 (65 braid)
    Calstar 100j/Torium 16-65 braid (light jig stick)
    Calstar 90j/Newell 332-5 (with spare reel)-40 mono (jig stick)
    Truline D8/Newell 332-3.6 (straight 30 mono)
    Calstar 870-H/PG545 (kelp cutter 65 braid)
    Calstar 700H/Narrow Tiburon Newell 500-4.6 series (yoyo straight 50 mono)
    Calstar 610/4/0 topless YTS (flyline straight 40 mono)
    Truline TNT/4/0 topless (dropper loop straight 60 mono)

I know I'm nitpicking but I want to be ready by February and test the gear on my skiff before the trip. Any advice is really welcome. I can build the rods and reels so it's more of an issue of prep time than money.

Also, how much plastic will I actually burn through?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2014
  2. tuna sniffer

tuna sniffer SD '63

Name:
    Mark
    Boat:
    1 tin 1 glass
    Check out the show Stoked On Fishing. He did a two part on a Cedros/Geronimo skiff trip on the Royal Star. Fox Sports West. You seem pretty well set up, but I'd probably bring a Curado/revo type reel with a 7-8' mh bass rod and 65 braid.

crabdancer likes this.
  3. backlashjack

backlashjack Scallywag

Name:
    Jackson
    Boat:
    Sold the boat, now I just rent a stateroom on the EXCEL
    You will not be disappointed with a Curado 300ej.
    I use it for bass to tuna to just over 30lbs. and YT to over 20lbs.
    Mine is mated with a Shimano Terez TZCWX80MHPW and it does serious WORK!
    Casts a country mile, doesn't work you on larger fish, amazing stick.
    It's like the American Express card... I don't leave home without it.

crabdancer likes this.
  4. crabdancer

crabdancer Kook

Name:
    Shannon
    Boat:
    Edgewater
    Sounds good man. I just ordered one right now. It seems less cumbersome than the 400's I've fished for years and if it has problems I've got backup reels and a warranty. Plus it was designed with braid in mind.

Any suggestions for how many of those trokar weighted weedless hooks I should bring? Open to any ideas as long as they're not from the eagle claw rep. Ha.

5. rdrrm8e

rdrrm8e Fucking Stan

Name:
    chuck
    Boat:
    No
    Call me
    Seven won four 883-667zero

crabdancer likes this.
  6. mikelravy

mikelravy Member

Name:
    Mike McElravy
    Boat:
    Jim Dandy
    Sounds like you are set on rods and reels. Bring 10 bodies and 5 jig heads per day in red, green and brown and an assortment of surface and yo yo jigs, a few bait hooks and you should be good. I've used a 400b and a Penn Torque 100 and have no complaints. And some 40b leader material for fishing the kelp although straight spectra seems to work fine. And try to get in the bow of the skiff if you can. It gets congested elsewhere. I like a cushion to sit on, a small waterproof bag for skiff tackle and rain pants. Good fishing.

crabdancer likes this.
  7. crabdancer

crabdancer Kook

Name:
    Shannon
    Boat:
    Edgewater
    Great suggestions. Chuck, I'll be giving you a ring.

8. casamiller

casamiller I Think I'm Bit...

Name:
    Greg and Ryan Miller
    Boat:
    24' Regulator
    If the skiff trip is on the Shogun in June, I will be on the same one with you.

Also i have a curado ej and it is a very good reel, you won't be disappointed with it

crabdancer likes this.
  9. crabdancer

crabdancer Kook

Name:
    Shannon
    Boat:
    Edgewater
    Yeah that's the one brother. I look forward to fishing with ya. I'm going solo so friends along the way to prep are welcome.

Chuck gave me some good tips. I'm bringing a folding deck chair and a soldering iron.

Pm me to keep up on prep/gear repair/general good ideas. I'll do the same.

Might be wise to bulk buy some plastic and terminal stuff. I'll keep an eye out.

10. Duke

Duke Member

Name:
    Earl
    Boat:
    40' CHB Trawler/Fisher
    What is the soldering iron for?

You are in pretty good shape with your quiver and the additional curado or whatever you choose will round it out perfect. You can burn thru plastic and depending on how they do the skiff rotations try to time your skiff run to fish punta Norte for calicos or by the salt plant on the south end if you are more of a YT guy. Too bad you won't be able to go into town at Cedros as I have a good 30lbs of plastic and lead heads I keep on the island for fly in trips and could hook you up. If you see the Cedros Outdoor Adventure pangas out and about get them on the radio. Offer a little bait and fish in their zone as they have it down and fish it daily.

If you go to Fred Hall you can load up on Big Hammers or your choice of plastics and stop by COA and say hi to Jose. He has huge knowledge of the islands down there.

crabdancer likes this.
  11. rza007

rza007 Iron Sheik

Name:
    Fish
    Boat:
    I like your taste in gear. I know guys burn through plastics and lead on those trips. Stock up heavily on weighted beast hooks and MC or BH weedless rubber for the bass. Maybe build yourself a UC 80monster and pair it with reel of choice for throwing big baits because those rods are badass!

crabdancer likes this.
  12. glenn

glenn Newbie

Name:
    glenn
    Boat:
    none
    I bring 4 rods -don't over think this trip.
    Corey gives everyone plenty of plastics and Trokar stuff.
    I really enjoy throwing the slugs.

crabdancer likes this.
  13. crabdancer

crabdancer Kook

Name:
    Shannon
    Boat:
    Edgewater
    Thanks guys. I enjoy slug yellows as much as bass, so this trip is exactly what I'm looking for. I fish bass with four outfits, but I want to be able to bring back some yellows to the guys that work my shop, and my family, so gear is going with me. Can't fish the dropper loop on the Curado.

The soldering iron is for plastic welding, especially with the weedless baits that depend on the corkscrew spring to stay on the hook. I don't want to irk Sanden, but I figure it's good after dinner time work.

I love the slugs too. I've had a big bag of Sanden's giant mack slugs for a while now and they've always brought home big local fish. I can't wait to see what they do on this trip.

The 80 monster is tempting and I may build it. I have to see how work goes money wise. The 85mag I'll be bringing is an original GUSA, never wrapped, in blue graphite. I have a blue Shikari 909H I may substitute for the monster. I like a bit of tip flex with the weedless baits.

I may have to go to FH and stock up. If anyone else on the trip wants to work a deal, I'm down, but I plan on giving a healthy chunk back in tip to the booth and buying the vendors a drink.

This conversation is really cool, considering the limited number of people in this whole world who could contribute good info. Seems like they're all here, and I feel pretty solid in my investment of my time off.

And for what it's worth, Corey (I had no idea who he was then) was starting MC and working Seaforth/Dana Landing back in 2003 and gave me a few of those 5" roe smelt slugs. My friend and I had our best day on the bay ever dropshotting those poor things, and I owe the guy a single malt to this day. I haven't seen him since, but reputation follows ya.

14. rdrrm8e

rdrrm8e Fucking Stan

Name:
    chuck
    Boat:
    No

Don't look at me....I mentioned a BIC lighter..;-)

crabdancer likes this.
  15. Duke

Duke Member

Name:
    Earl
    Boat:
    40' CHB Trawler/Fisher
    Bic lighter is all we ever needed.

crabdancer likes this.
  16. rdrrm8e

rdrrm8e Fucking Stan

Name:
    chuck
    Boat:
    No

That and the "Love"

crabdancer likes this.
  17. johndtuttle

johndtuttle Angler/Client

Name:
    john
    Boat:
    not crazy enough yet
    I'd take two of any Curado/Revo/Lexa/Komodo baitcaster mated with appropriate rods and set up with the power handle. They are gonna be your go to for bassin' with plastics with the nuts to handle YT if you get picked up.

If you get cornholed on one rig, the other is there. Then, one live bait stick and one yo-yo and gtg. Pretty sure they limit how many sticks you can take on the skiff?

The modern large baitcasters are dreamy for throwing 3/4-2oz.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2014
    crabdancer likes this.
  18. crabdancer

crabdancer Kook

Name:
    Shannon
    Boat:
    Edgewater
    Oh yeah. Bic lighter sounds good to me. I got caught thinking like a welder.

I'm fishing the skiff with a backup and a jisgstick. I'm building some rods over the holiday, spooling some reels, testing drag settings, and looking forward to this trip.

What's the 'love?' is that Hotsauce? If it's weird, count me out, but I'm good with sauce 'em and toss 'em.

19. Juanba

Juanba CR

Name:
    John John John
    Boat:
    Kayak,Gregor, Panga, Long Range SD
    Your going to fish yellowtail on the big boat.
    You will take two rods with you on the skiff with a small tackle bag.

The skiffs being used are rubber
    (Last year)and you will not really have room for heaps of rods

If they add more skiffs and fewer people you could add more rods but if you have 4 per skiff
    (Guide included) you will be limited on space

There was plenty of yellowtail fishing on the big boat in between
    Skiff rotations. You will get a limit

crabdancer likes this.
  20. Juanba

Juanba CR

Name:
    John John John
    Boat:
    Kayak,Gregor, Panga, Long Range SD
    Your going to fish
    80 spectra to 80 floro