Tackle questions for 11 day trip.

Dexter Outdoors
Sep 16, 2020
Southern Oregon
Name
James S HILL
Boat
Royal Star, Polaris Supreme
We did a 10 day last November and the largest tuna was 30#. We did not have the option to go to 'lupe. The jackpot fish were wahoo and yellowtail. I would use the boat gear for your heavy outfit and trolling. Take the tackle you think you will need. Especially all the bait hook sizes and wahoo leaders. In the heat of the battle the deck hands can be busy. Last thing you want to do is wait for tackle while everyone else is hooked up.

Reactions: FishRock
Upvote 0

fyermn

Sep 2, 2005
Utah
Name
Dan
Boat
LONG RANGE fishing
I did a 10 days trip in November 2010, and caught a Super Cow #345. That is usually not the norm, but on a 10-11 day trip in the Fall gives you the best chance to catch a variety of fish, with the chance to get a cow. Remember, it called Fishing, Not Catching. I have been on a few trips were the fishing was great, but the catching was not good.

Reactions: ZZZZZ
Upvote 0

JTE

Nov 20, 2017
Florida
Name
Jim
Boat
18' Grizzly
Bought some of my braid to spool my reels, Dawai J-Braid X8. 30 lb for my spinners, 65lb for my Fathom 30LD2s. Will have to buy for the 40LD2s when I get them. Issue/problem: as I've said, here in FL I use mono and have big sppols of that to spool reels continuous. I bought the braid in 300yd spools (bought enough for reels plus some extra) as big spools were lots more $$$$. All my reels will hold more than 300yd and I only want to do ~50 yd leader/topshots. How do I join (best knot(s)) the J-braid to add or top off reels???

Also bought 30, 50 and 130 floro leader.

Have Capt Jimmy's Bombs and Salas Jigs on order.

Really looking forward to this trip.
Thanks Jim

FishRock
FishRock
The 8X J-Braid is generally considered a good braid. Just use an FG knot to join the leader to the braid. The FG will go through the guides well and is plenty strong. 30# braid is very thin diameter you might want to consider spooling with 50# for a bit more strength and less likely to cut the crap out of you.
Upvote 0
Upvote 0

RichG

I Should Upgrade My Account
Jan 20, 2007
California
Name
Richard G/
Boat
none
First and very important, make sure the braid is spooled super tight on your reel spool . You want it packed tight.

Don’t know J-braid. I assume it’s solid, not hollow.

With hollow you can make a loop and use at Cat Paw loop to loop connection.

Or you can attach with one of several knots. Master one knot. The are plenty of You Tube videos.

Some choices, FG, PR, Bob Sand (similar to Pena). Some like the John Collins.

which ever you choice, make sure it’s tight. The braid should change color as it become tight.

Reactions: Steve K
Upvote 0

NorCal Luke

Jun 18, 2012
Suisun City, CA USA
Name
Donald Luke Lipary
Boat
Bobcat
Like RichG said there are a lot of options on braid. I only use Jerry Brown Hollow. It is a high quality line with a small diameter and is very strong. It has treated me very well over the years and was one of the early innovators in high performance line. I always opt out of the free line when buying new reels since it is never offered as part of the deal. Just my 2 cents.

Upvote 0