Hard Chargin'

Fischjäger
Aug 11, 2019
PNW
Name
Andre
Boat
Stabicraft 459 Fish'r
Hey guys. I'm just looking for tips on how best to store and organize tackle.

Should I just have a box/tray for every kind of tackle, ex. Plug box, jig box, spoon box etc? Or break it down by type of fishing? Species? Or maybe something different.

I don't like what I have been doing and it wasn't big enough anyway.

Pictures of how you do it are welcome as well

Keep Chargin'

jasper hickman

Team RED BEARD
Dec 23, 2014
Everett
Name
jasper
Boat
30’ Osprey
F8395EAA-10AB-4F2A-8086-15131F7FE072.jpeg

I use a combination of Milwaukee tools box’s and small Plano box’s for specific fisheries.

usually bulk stuff goes in the Milwaukee box’s, then specific stuff that get used all the time goes into the Plano box’s that are stored on the deck.

G-Spot

Captain
Mar 14, 2008
Salem/OR/USA
Name
John
Boat
53’ Hatteras STEEL N TIME
View attachment 1272797

I use a combination of Milwaukee tools box’s and small Plano box’s for specific fisheries.

usually bulk stuff goes in the Milwaukee box’s, then specific stuff that get used all the time goes into the Plano box’s that are stored on the deck.
Gotta say I’m jealous of this... the time and commitment to get there has escaped me! This is organized!

Tish

Almost A Member
Jun 27, 2019
Shoreline WA
Name
Grant
Boat
1991 Achilles SGX-122, 1997 Boston Whaler Dauntless 17
Next time my wife gives me a hard time for spending another $50 on a little baggie of sampo swivels I'm going to show her a picture of woodhunter's rolling toolbox. Damn dude, that is sweeeeeeeeet!

Reactions: Tomictime

DennisV

Jan 4, 2017
Paloma, CA
Name
Dennis Vagt
Boat
Just a NuCanoe Frontier now.
Tackle Management 3-step program

1. Admit you have a problem.

2. Leave all the crap you never use at home.

3. Have back ups for all the crap that gets bit.

Reactions: Baby J

Hunter Dan

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Jun 30, 2011
Stauffer
Name
Dan
Boat
MUGWUMP
Boxes. Cardboard, metal, tackle. Bags. Cabinets with lots of drawers. Shelves. Heck even my pockets, and when that wasn't enough I salvaged peg board panels from closing down Ed's Surplus and hung them on the walls of my shop to hang tackle all over the walls too! The ceiling is next.

Woodhunter

Jun 12, 2011
Port Angeles, WA
Name
Big John
Boat
Classic MAKO 22
Tackle Management 3-step program

1. Admit you have a problem.

2. Leave all the crap you never use at home.

3. Have back ups for all the crap that gets bit.

Yea an addiction. I collect old stuff like vintage Tomic and Luckie Louie plugs, Clendon Stewart spoons.

And new stuff. Did not know how much I had until I bought the Craftsman 3 unit chest set and started sorting. Before it was cardboard boxes stuffed full. Over the past 40 years or so when ever I was in Swains and saw something I wanted to try I bought it, took it home and tossed into a box. At least I do not have to worry about a shortage of my favorite gear at the tackle shop!

I fish Salt Water only. The Plano boxes in the boat tackle locker have jigs, hoochies, plugs, spoons and mooching gear. Flashers are in the storage under the leaning post seat. Sinkers in a divided plywood box under the console.

So yea, the boat is organized so I have tackle at my finger tips. And know where it is!

Tomictime

Crusty Old Salt
May 9, 2014
Poverty Bay & Carlsbad
Name
Jim
Boat
Boatless.....
the 37’ was a “ floating tackle shop “, don’t have that luxury with new boat..
Generally i organize by terminal tackle: spoons, plugs, hootchites, bait holders, bait busters, leaders pretied for each, halibut and ground pounder gear in big Plano, etc...
280BCC59-F702-4EFE-AA8F-5AECE400F560.jpeg

Woodhunter

Jun 12, 2011
Port Angeles, WA
Name
Big John
Boat
Classic MAKO 22
Bottom shelf of the tackle locker does not have a door. Just a rim to keep the Tupperware boxes in place. Coho jigs & spoons, downrigger release clips, mooching leaders, mooching weights. This way I can grab the gear without having to open a door.

ijJT2Gm.jpg

Top of the locker has a rim also, this is where I store the measuring stick.

Reactions: kbray001

Woodhunter

Jun 12, 2011
Port Angeles, WA
Name
Big John
Boat
Classic MAKO 22
I built this for storage at home. I have a couple of portable tackle bags that hold about 10 of the plano boxes that I separate by targeted species for use on the boat. works great.

View attachment 1272977

Nice. You used the same thing I used in my tackle locker for the boat: Aluminum angle to support the Plano boxes.

Reactions: Grady 265

The Peddler

Living vicariously through others.
  • May 28, 2008
    Olympia, WA
    Name
    Matt
    Boat
    2400 SeaSport Explorer - "Permanent Waves"
    I was going to sell my old rolling tool chest when I got the larger one. I think now I have a better idea!

Currently I do a little bit of “All of the above...” boxes/bins in the shop. Plano trays by species/technique is a soft tackle bag.

What I am looking-for right now is a good solution for triangle type in-line flashers and Delta Divers.

EJ Swanny

Three Generations of Uff-Dah
    Nov 30, 2010
    Redondo/WA
    Name
    Erik
    Boat
    "Riley-J" 2006 21' Proline Tourney
    One for salmon, one for lings, one for butts. Hell I only use 5-6 salmon lures on a week trip. Bottom-fishing is a bit different, as Davey-Jones likes to keep his locker stocked. Then flasher bags. Not complicated...as you should know hatch after a day, then just match it....

jonnyboy852

Almost A Member
    Jul 3, 2009
    Seattle
    Name
    Jon
    Boat
    282 Sailfish GW
    I have been using the Dewalt organizers. They work great and have a waterproof seal. I have quite a few and they connect together for easy transport. Ovecourse I also have a plano spoon box.

20210419_194950.jpg

20210419_195351.jpg

Hard Chargin'

Fischjäger
    Aug 11, 2019
    PNW
    Name
    Andre
    Boat
    Stabicraft 459 Fish'r
    Thanks for all the tips and for showing off guys. I'm going to steal a page from @jasper hickman I picked up a couple Milwaukee boxes at the HD. I saw the dewalt ones but these felt like they had a much better seal.

I'm gonna start with my 2 main boxes and see how far I get!

IMG_20210419_200841.jpg

Woodhunter

Jun 12, 2011
    Port Angeles, WA
    Name
    Big John
    Boat
    Classic MAKO 22
    I was going to sell my old rolling tool chest when I got the larger one. I think now I have a better idea!

Currently I do a little bit of “All of the above...” boxes/bins in the shop. Plano trays by species/technique is a soft tackle bag.

What I am looking-for right now is a good solution for triangle type in-line flashers and Delta Divers.
    I put the flashers in the 6 pocket roll ups with the ventilated mesh for sides. Lets them dry, you can hose the whole unit off on the driveway when washing the boat. When dry they go back into the storage box just under the leaning post seat cushion, the cushion hinges up for access.

slab tech 1

Works overrated- lets go fishing
    Apr 1, 2011
    Ferndale
    Name
    Eric
    Boat
    Parker 2520 XL
    I have kids that love to fish so it doesn’t matter how organized my shit is, it all ends up a tangled up mess of hooks laying all over the place😂. But I do have a general all around tackle box, then halibut, salmon, and bottom fish specific boxes.

The Peddler

Living vicariously through others.
  • May 28, 2008
    Olympia, WA
    Name
    Matt
    Boat
    2400 SeaSport Explorer - "Permanent Waves"
    I put the flashers in the 6 pocket roll ups with the ventilated mesh for sides. Lets them dry, you can hose the whole unit off on the driveway when washing the boat. When dry they go back into the storage box just under the leaning post seat cushion, the cushion hinges up for access.
    I do that with my 11” Hot Spot types, but the in-line triangle-shaped type like they use on the Columbia don’t fit well in those.

443014E2-A2F2-457B-A279-1833107733D9.jpeg