Dec 30, 2012
Sacramento Ca
Name
Taylor Posey
Boat
Baby Lobster
Hey guys I have booked a 5 day on the Searcher july 28th Aug 2nd

This is my tackle that I currently have

808 abyss with avet mxj raptor (65lb white power pro)
909 abyss with avet jx raptor (80lb white power pro)
black diamond psw 700h with avet jx raptor (80lb White power pro)
seeker G 660H with TLD30 (MONO blue 50)
Phenix 800H swimbait rod with daiwa pluton (white 50lb power pro)

Have a few dozen irons in assorted weights and sz

Have a ton on eagle claw non ringed live bait hooks 1/0-9/0

Weights barrel 1oz 3oz

Sabiki rigs

Some zukers and tuna clones

few butterfly jigs

I was gonna bring along some big hammers and slugs

What am I missing

SemperFishing

Apr 26, 2007
Austin, TX
Name
Dave
Boat
Prefer Long Range or skiffs (great if combined!)
Bring extra line (25, 30, 40. 50lb and up is generally not necessary). I bring extra sets of sunglasses to swap out as soon as they get salt sprayed. Your favorite sunscreen, candy bars, siracha hot sauce, wine, stogies, are a good thing to help to make the trip that much sweeter. Tackle wise, I think you got it set.

jer dog

Fishing is life
Jun 22, 2006
Garden Grove
Name
Gerry
Boat
One that floats

Weights barrel 1oz 3oz

Sabiki rigs

few butterfly jigs

What am I missing
mega bait,s, plus make sure you have 6x and 6x jr , plus 8-12-16oz sinker,s if their is wind and 7x mint.

Tar Pit

I Should Upgrade My Account
Mar 7, 2006
Reno NV
Name
Friend of Bucko Shaw
Boat
None.
cheap folding chair.
extra hat, sun glasses.
cheep gloves for sorting fish at the end of trip.
gift for crew.
book.
small flashlight for your room.
pillow case.
paper and pen.
charger for camera.
extra bath towel.
ear plugs. bring extra!
bring extra fishing towels.
bungee cords.

Elitetv1958

Sep 20, 2005
Las Vegas
Name
Dan
Boat
Music, Red Rooster, America Angler, Polaris Supreme
Always handy to have a cedar plug in the war chest. I prefer purple...and many times I've knocked 'em dead. You'll need some 10 or 12 oz sinkers for your dropper loop rig. On a five day, you will spend a day or two at an island, depending in the bite and conditions outside. If your at going to use the TLD 30 for trolling and dropper loops, you probably want to spring for some 100# spectra for that. Best of luck.

jiggyn

Do you even fish?
Jan 26, 2008
Torrance
Name
Jerr
Boat
shit talking
20 all the way up to 40lb. Wont really need anything higher than that. You can use the boat gear for trolling and heavy dropper loop for night.

40 lb can handle big stuff caught tuna up to 100lbs

All the tackle you should be good
hooks from 2/0 up to 4/0 sometimes smaller

salty brain

Nothing but salt between the ears
Sep 25, 2012
OC
Name
Dave
Boat
what ever floats
Tackle wise you sounds like you got it.may be a heavy 50,60 # rig depending if big blue fin show. just add your personal stuff music some to read.There going to feed you good!

Corndog

Landlocked
Sep 22, 2009
Northern Colorado
Name
Jason Jones ( Lone Shark)
Boat
Century 1801, Hobie PA14 & SoA
20 all the way up to 40lb. Wont really need anything higher than that. You can use the boat gear for trolling and heavy dropper lothat0 lb can handle big stuff caught tuna up to 100lbs

All the tackle you should be good
hooks from 2/0 up to 4/0 sometimes smaller

Yes u "can" catch tuna up to 100lbs on 40lbs. However more times than not ends in the story of the one that got away. I think all LR'ers should have a 50lb reel if not a 60 that can flyline a sardine effectively when the big boys are rolling. Just my humble opinion

Reactions: Lake

timmyd3853

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Sep 27, 2011
Temecula, Ca.
Name
Tim
Boat
Excel, Polaris Supreme, Searcher, RRIII and YOURS!

Weights barrel 1oz 3oz

Sabiki rigs

few butterfly jigs

What am I missing
your best rule of thump for rods and reels is just look at the long range boats websites for what rods and reels to bring. that way you have something in writing to compare to and use those rods n reels or equivelent. for a 5 days a 20, 25, 30, 40 and 50lb rig should be good. no need for a trolling rig as all the boats have them on board for everyone to use. i think what you have should be good. im not that much of phenix rods. the only one i do know for sure is that psw 700h which is a 30 lb stick
MAX. yeah i know its rated for 20-60 but its WAY over rated.

Cast Gold

hss AHHHH...hss AHHHH....
Jul 1, 2005
Tustin
Name
Kris
Boat
Mike's
Be prepared for:
-pitching small baits to big fish with heavy line
-long runs
-big fish breezing with small fish
-being open to throw iron or bait to yellows at Cedros, they may decide that they'll bite one or the other

IMO people over think their tackle. The cook on my 5-day trip last year was landing 40 plus pound bluefin with a 40 year old penn jig master.

To be fair, not everyone is a 6'4" jiu jitsu practitioner. We fishing together again this year, Charlie?

Kris

PescadorPete

Here, Fishy, Fishy!
Nov 4, 2007
Leucadia, CA
Name
Pete
Boat
Hobie Revo13 (LJ), American Angler (SD), Success (PV)
Use the boat trolling rig, so no need for zukers, tuna clones. Keep the TLD30 setup for live bait in case big fish show, you won't have time to switch it up from trolling to live bait setup. May not need sabikis, I've never made bait on a 5 day but they don't take up much space in the tackle box. Some small hooks, #2, you might be fishing anchovies. If you wear glasses, pre moistened lens cleaner wipes from the drug store and a keeper strap. Sunscreen, I like Sol Sunguard Bluewater for my skin, its waterproof and Headhunter Warpaint for nose/lips. Have fun!

tmcustoms

Dec 30, 2012
Sacramento Ca
Name
Taylor Posey
Boat
Baby Lobster
Thanks for the insight guys ill add a few items I have a lot of Metal jigs "megabaits" that I use in the river to jig for salmon, I went with the raptor reels so I had a smaller reel I can fish all day that's also powerful enough to land some larger fish if they decide to chew. Really ended up with the Phenix rods because they don't have a large selection of saltwater stuff in my area and they have an attractive warranty which I assume will be useful when fishing tight quarters with a lot of people and a lot of tackle, all in all they are nice rods I will see how they hold up to the tuna.

Corndog

Landlocked
Sep 22, 2009
Northern Colorado
Name
Jason Jones ( Lone Shark)
Boat
Century 1801, Hobie PA14 & SoA
If it was me 80 or 100 spectra to 100 yards of 50 it 60 mono. But that seems to be "old school" to some. Do what your boat recommends. Spectra lasts for years. You can always chose mono/ flour at gametime

Cast Gold

Jul 1, 2005
Tustin
Name
Kris
Boat
Mike's
So if Im using my tld 30 set up for bait and dropper loop what are you guys suggesting I spool it with.

If it was me 80 or 100 spectra to 100 yards of 50 it 60 mono. But that seems to be "old school" to some. Do what your boat recommends. Spectra lasts for years. You can always chose mono/ flour at gametime

If your rods have guides that can handle the abrasiveness of spectra, I'd do something like Lone Shark suggests. But I like all my rigs (even the jig sticks) to be full of spectra straight to the leader. I've tried the spectra/mono/fluoro setup, and skipping the mono seems to suit me better.

timmyd3853

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Sep 27, 2011
Temecula, Ca.
Name
Tim
Boat
Excel, Polaris Supreme, Searcher, RRIII and YOURS!
Never been on a 5 day trip, this is very useful stuff.
a 5 day is mostly the same thing as fishing locally but with more quantity and better quality for the most part. sometimes far better quality LOL but its really not all that different.

Reactions: Bill W

johndtuttle

Angler/Client
Mar 20, 2008
Carmel, CA
Name
john
Boat
not crazy enough yet
Fish 100lb Braid for Dropper to short 100lb leader. Anything down there needs to be snubbed mighty short.

I always forget a box of cheapo mustad bait hooks (the kind that rust instantly). You want these if you get into a hot bite but are in catch and release mode for some species.

The technique used to release unwanted fish is to break you off at the boat side. No need to say "buh-bye $3 ringed super mutu..." it's nicer to see a 25 cent hook swim off in a rat yellow when you are trying to fill your BFT limit and the paddy is mixed.

Last edited:
Reactions: screamingreel

jer dog

Fishing is life
Jun 22, 2006
Garden Grove
Name
Gerry
Boat
One that floats
Fish 100lb Braid for Dropper to short 100lb leader. Anything down there needs to be snubbed mighty short.

I always forget a box of cheapo mustad bait hooks (the kind that rust instantly). You want these if you get into a hot bite but are in catch and release mode.

The technique used to release unwanted fish is to break you off at the boat side. No need to say "buh-bye $3 ringed super mutu..." it's nicer to see a 25 cent hook swim off in a rat yellow.
don't forget finger tape or glove's' it help's your finger's form getting screwed up.

Workplacesafety

Reducing workplace injuries and illnesses
Feb 20, 2010
Long Beach Ca.
Name
Jeff Bruner
Boat
14ft Valco, San Diego Long Range Boats

I always forget a box of cheapo mustad bait hooks (the kind that rust instantly). You want these if you get into a hot bite but are in catch and release mode for some species.

The technique used to release unwanted fish is to break you off at the boat side. No need to say "buh-bye $3 ringed super mutu..." it's nicer to see a 25 cent hook swim off in a rat yellow when you are trying to fill your BFT limit when the paddy is mixed.
You know John, I don't use anything but cheap hooks. And if I run into a foamer like in your picture, I'll make sure nothing but cheapies.

Cast Gold

Jul 1, 2005
Tustin
Name
Kris
Boat
Mike's
If it's all rats or a wide open bite, I'd try to conserve the bait and throw iron. If they're for sure juveniles, I'd put my rod in the rack, and have a seat in the galley before Chris Hansen from Dateline NBC shows up with the sweet tea.