Boat
Excel
I have a 10 day trip Sept 28 - Oct 8 on the Excel next year. Thinking about
making a run to Houston after the first of the year to pick up some more
shit. One of which is a SKB 7100 with launchers. Do I need to glue a piece
of 3/4 plywood on the bottom so I can open the front door without having
to lean the box backwards? And i am the type of person that takes more
shit than most other people. I understand the X is a wet boat when running
back up hill. I want another tackle box up top. What type of tackle boxe(s)
do you guys put up top? Do you leave the box up top on the up hill climb...
or put it in your state room? PS: Merry Christmas and Happy New to
everyone! Tex

albacore11

Member Intrepid 200# Club
May 19, 2006
Crowley Lake, CA
Name
Christopher
Boat
Gone but not forgotten
SKB boxes do need to be raised so the flip-down door can sufficiently clear the lip of the tackle storage shelf. There are many ways to do this. Since you are including rocket launchers, one of the easiest methods is to insert a PVC tee or coupling into the bottom of each. I can't remember the proper size, so take a rocket launcher to your local Home Depot, Lowes or local hardware store and visit the sprinkler department. You want a tight, pressure fit. I used tees on my box and they have worked great, and are totally resistant to seas and chemicals.

Why don't you want the larger 7200?

Reactions: sierraazuel

Texlee

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Jun 3, 2012
Vernon, Texas, USA
Name
Alben Lee
Boat
Excel
Comparing prices from a store in the Huntington Beach area, the cost of the
7100 with launchers is $230. The 7200 dont come with launchers. To add the
launchers to the 7200, the cost is $290. The ID of the 7100 is 20x10x15. The
7200 is 23x10x15. Is it worth $60 for 3"? Couse if it was a personal body
part...hell yes.

Fishybuzz

fishybuzz
Apr 4, 2003
Tucson
Visit site
Name
David Tang
Boat
Intrepid
Jmo but I find the SKB boxes overkill...the darn thing weighs 20# empty...loaded up it will weigh 40#....I went the other route....small soft bag holds 3-4 3600 Plano boxes...and a jig bag.....don't have to fight for a top shelve so I can open it or be forced to put it on the deck in everyone's way........as I said JMO.....

Reactions: Elitetv1958

rodblder

Feb 19, 2004
San Diego
Visit site
Name
Jim
Boat
none at this time
get the big one with rocket launchers, I've had one for years, use it on the excel and intrepid, really handy to keep 4 rods right at your box. I raised mine by screwing on two pieces of 1x2 in place of the bottom rubber spacers or whatever they are called. works fine,
fb is a wimp if he can't lift a big skb box!!! (actually I usually have a deckhand put in on the top shelf for me on both boats.

Reactions: raw66

Fishybuzz

fishybuzz
Apr 4, 2003
Tucson
Visit site
Name
David Tang
Boat
Intrepid
get the big one with rocket launchers, I've had one for years, use it on the excel and intrepid, really handy to keep 4 rods right at your box. I raised mine by screwing on two pieces of 1x2 in place of the bottom rubber spacers or whatever they are called. works fine,
fb is a wimp if he can't lift a big skb box!!! (actually I usually have a deckhand put in on the top shelf for me on both boats.
Yep I admit it…..I'm not into dead lifting 50+# of box and gear anymore…..rodblder is a stud….or so he tells his wife….lol

rodblder

Feb 19, 2004
San Diego
Visit site
Name
Jim
Boat
none at this time
Yep I admit it…..I'm not into dead lifting 50+# of box and gear anymore…..rodblder is a stud….or so he tells his wife….lol
Actually, I don't have to tell my wife like you do, she's known for years!!!

My secret is YMCA workout every am, then tuna bellys for breakfast............just cleaned a batch and put in marinade, will be smoking during football tomorrow!!!

Fishybuzz

fishybuzz
Apr 4, 2003
Tucson
Visit site
Name
David Tang
Boat
Intrepid

She just doesn't know any better……

I wondered where all my tuna bellies went last trip……..LMAO hey Jim you should jump on the July 8 day……got 1 opening left.

rodblder

Feb 19, 2004
San Diego
Visit site
Name
Jim
Boat
none at this time

She just doesn't know any better……

I wondered where all my tuna bellies went last trip……..LMAO hey Jim you should jump on the July 8 day……got 1 opening left.
I'm already on four 8 day intrepid trips next summer plus Luc's 6 day which leaves the day you get in.
thx for the bellys, they were tasty as usual

PS-Tex, you'll see mostly large skb boxes especially on the longer tips. hardly ever see the smaller models..............

wils

lazy-ass well known "member"
May 31, 2003
not a spoiled bitch from san diego
Name
bill
Boat
I hate boats
Comparing prices from a store in the Huntington Beach area, the cost of the
7100 with launchers is $230. The 7200 dont come with launchers. To add the
launchers to the 7200, the cost is $290. The ID of the 7100 is 20x10x15. The
7200 is 23x10x15. Is it worth $60 for 3"? Couse if it was a personal body
part...hell yes.
If you are going to be a true SD long ranger....DAMN THE COST! FULL TACKLE HO-DOM AHEAD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
and after each trip, stash all that now old, used gear and buy all NEW gear. :D

JohnTFT

Insomniac
Feb 11, 2007
The "718"
Name
John
Boat
A big Steel One
Jmo but I find the SKB boxes overkill...the darn thing weighs 20# empty...loaded up it will weigh 40#....I went the other route....small soft bag holds 3-4 3600 Plano boxes...and a jig bag.....don't have to fight for a top shelve so I can open it or be forced to put it on the deck in everyone's way........as I said JMO.....
I agree I have a SKB its a pain. I put it up on the second deck and usually take the plano boxes out and stash them somewhere convenient. What was worse shipping it from NY we were paying for like 45 pounds of shipping.

The new Shimano BlackMoon back pack is really very cool.

Outhouse

Feb 13, 2007
Germantown, TN
Name
Jon Scobey
Boat
Titanic
You say you carry a lot? Not in the SZB. Get a soft sided bag. You'll save $ shipping it and you'll take more stuff you won't use.

Fishybuzz

fishybuzz
Apr 4, 2003
Tucson
Visit site
Name
David Tang
Boat
Intrepid
PS-Tex, you'll see mostly large skb boxes especially on the longer tips. hardly ever see the smaller models..............[/QUOTE]

If you don't have a LARGE SKB no one will believe you are a long range fisherman …...it is required…..LMAO

Steve K

Hey, I'm gettin' bit...
Jan 2, 2005
Bishop
Name
Steve
Boat
18' Bayrunner, but I like the American Angler and the Red Rooster III
Unless I could find a good used WFO or Mark Pack Hippo Ranger bag, I'd get the 3 tray Calcutta bag that Charkbait sells. Seems like all the others are so tall that they won't fit in the racks and are so top heavy that they fall over. Even on a longer trip, once you get all rigged up: 100-130lb heavy outfits, Wahoo outfits, even your own trolling and kite outfits, 3 of the 3600 trays and the top section would hold what you need throughout a day of fishing.

strackle99

Mar 20, 2008
Villa Lepro, Baja
Name
Todd
Boat
The one on the fish
Quit being a cheapskate, and get a box made by Sue Spray. Once you get one you are definitely in the club.

shajcl

Oct 16, 2005
Alameda
Name
JL
Boat
n/a
I like my large SKB box. I made some custom rocket launchers and it is elevated so there is no issue on opening and closing the tray. The best part of the SKB box is weather proof. My stuff inside never gets wet. It is a bit heavy, but it is very stable with 4 rods/reels loaded.

Attachments

harddrive

Wish I Was Fishing!
Sep 9, 2004
West LA
Name
Min
Boat
None
Yup and the way Jeff used larger diameter pipes allow to put my rods in his holder. ;)

In all seriousness, the standard SKB rod holder are too small for the LR rods.

I like my large SKB box. I made some custom rocket launchers and it is elevated so there is no issue on opening and closing the tray. The best part of the SKB box is weather proof. My stuff inside never gets wet. It is a bit heavy, but it is very stable with 4 rods/reels loaded.

Fishybuzz

fishybuzz
Apr 4, 2003
Tucson
Visit site
Name
David Tang
Boat
Intrepid
Yup and the way Jeff used larger diameter pipes allow to put my rods in his holder. ;)

In all seriousness, the standard SKB rod holder are too small for the LR rods.
I guess since he has the large SKB that makes Jeff a "official" long ranger......lol......

Happy Holidays Min and Jeff!!!!

CMY SIX

ASSHOLE #2
Feb 5, 2011
Opelika Al USA
Name
quinn
Boat
exel last, next?

My secret is YMCA workout every am, then tuna bellys for breakfast............just cleaned a batch and put in marinade, will be smoking during football tomorrow!!!
aren't they hard to light?

Normslanding

Oct 13, 2010
Palmetto, Fl., USA
Name
Dave Spangler
Boat
Blue Heaven
For a soft bag I would take a look at the Nomad bags. I just got a Medium Nomad bag. It is as nice as my WFO. Also the plastic boxes that come with the bag are very versatile.

CMY SIX

ASSHOLE #2
Feb 5, 2011
Opelika Al USA
Name
quinn
Boat
exel last, next?

Aren't they hard to light?