Almost A Member
Mar 5, 2017
Murrieta
Name
George Acosta
Boat
No
Hello,

I am wondering what people are using for transporting tackle by plane. I have a SKB 7200 and a 7100 that I use for trips leaving out of SD but they are big and heavy (when loaded up). What do you guys/gals use to transport your tackle when traveling by plane to fishing destinations (i.e., Mexico)?

George

Upvote 0

AKSalmon

I Should Upgrade My Account
  • Jul 15, 2006
    Juneau, Alaska
    Name
    Bill Brown
    Boat
    Sold my Parker. You can find me on the Red Rooster.
    I wish I had an answer for you. The SKB boxes don't work for airline travel because they are so very heavy; you just can't load much before it is too heavy to check without penalty. Lately I've been using an Open Water backpack bag. It's no longer made but there are a couple in production that are very similar. It works although a couple of the Plano boxes get broken every trip. An advantage is that I can put it on my back and still carry my clothes duffle and reel case (which is a carry on) through the airport. I ship my rods via Fedex because a friend has a business account with a discount. The fact is traveling for long range trips is a hassle, and expensive.

Last edited:
    Reactions: Cubeye
    Upvote 0

MBennett

Aug 30, 2017
    napa valley, CA
    Name
    Matt
    Boat
    Hobie Quest
    I fly down from NorCal a few times a year for shorter trips (2.5 day usually)and have yet to find a good, easily checkable solution. My SKB 7100 is way overkill- too heavy and a little rude for shorter trips.
    I’m currently putting together a pelican 1500 case for my next trip, and we’ll see how it works. It should check easily, and AK airlines lets a tackle box and rod tube check as one item.
    I currently have it loaded with 1 deep and 1 regular 3600 tray, leaving room for a row of leader spool and space for hooks, tools, and misc tackle stuff. My heavy nighttime jigs will be in my carry on sans hooks.
    It may be tricky to find a spot on the tackle racks that allows good access.
    I’ll report back on how it works.

DF889918-F865-404B-AA48-442A4079D7F0.jpeg

Upvote 0

nicodemus

Fish, he said softly, aloud. I’ll stay with you...
    Apr 10, 2012
    The 505
    Name
    Nick B
    Boat
    African Queen
    I have a Predator Tackle Bag -

I pulled out the rod tubes and plan to close up the top zipper and side zippers with a TSA lock. The bag isn't too heavy and I'll load it up to just shy of 50lbs. Will be my first time flying with it. I sent my rods USPS to a buddy in SD fishing on the same trip leaving next week.

On a side note, since I come in from New Mexico and my fishing buddy comes down from AK, we're looking into a small 5x5 storage unit up near 5-Star Processing (which we use). We're thinking of keep our rods and heavy tackle bags there. Yeah, we limit the ability to "play" with our gear at home, but if we have a good idea of our tackle (so we know what more we just "have" to have), it shouldn't be a big deal. We'll keep our reels so we can clean/maintain them. At $75 per bag and/or rods each way, the cost is a wash if we do more than 1 trip a year. Unit is only $40 a month.

Any out of state LR guys ever considered this?

Upvote 0

ricogrande

May 22, 2010
    Mud Bay, Wa. USA
    Name
    Fred
    Boat
    Vamoose
    One trick I’ve used is to put a bunch of my heavier iron and wahoo bombs in heavy duty zip plastic bags and slide them into my rod tube with my rods. Might be a bit risky but allows my tackle box to save weight. Whichever box I’m using, nomad, borona or Plano gets put in a large pelican box. Rod tube and pelican box go as one piece of checked luggage with Alaska.

Upvote 0

lastcast619

Almost A Member
  • Jan 25, 2019
    Blackacre
    Name
    HD
    Boat
    none
    In one check in bag, I put my Daiwa D Vec Tactical Backpack, duffle bag for clothes and xtratuf boots. Fits nicely. If it goes over the weight limit, I take the hooks off my heaviest jigs and put them in my carry on. Second check in is the plano jumbo airliner rod tube for rods. Reels go in a shimano bhaltair reel case that fits nicely in my carry on. Anything else like gopro, passport, toiletries, etc. go in my personal item backpack. When I get to SD, I unpack everything I need and the carry on bag is put inside the check in bag, and is placed in the storage lockers that the landings have along with the rod tube.

Reactions: crazypopie1
    Upvote 0

surfgoose

active geezer
  • Jul 29, 2010
    Long Beach, CA, USA
    Name
    Gary
    Boat
    whichever has the longest bunk
    It's probably the laziness of getting older, but after a couple of dozen trips down into Mexico I find myself taking less and less tackle. Four rods at most, often three plus a light travel rod for shoreline fun, and four reels. I have a light canvas tackle bag that holds one thick Plano and one regular Plano, plus room for gloves and hand towel and pliers kit. The thick Plano holds several trolling lures all set up, and a lure holder with a half-dozen of my absolute favorite lures for both surface and deep jig fishing. And a couple of dozen hooks and several sliding sinkers. It goes into a regular sized suitcase, and isn't overweight. The reels are in my carry-on backpack, with my fishing hat and rod belt cup. I have not needed anything else in the last dozen trips on either pangas or cruisers.

If I was going to be chasing giant tuna out of PV, I would just use the boats' gear. But I don't enjoy getting beaten up by big tuna or billfish any more, playing with roosterfish and dorado is way more fun now.

Upvote 0

jer dog

Fishing is life
    Jun 22, 2006
    Garden Grove
    Name
    Gerry
    Boat
    One that floats
    Hello,

I am wondering what people are using for transporting tackle by plane. I have a SKB 7200 and a 7100 that I use for trips leaving out of SD but they are big and heavy (when loaded up). What do you guys/gals use to transport your tackle when traveling by plane to fishing destinations (i.e., Mexico)?

George
    when I went to East Cape years Ago ,
    I use the Plano Box , the one that the Sides open up ,
    and you can see what's in it ,
    plus the middle opens up, and I put A small Fillet knife ,
    for the Lime's for the Beers, and i just put it in with my clothes ,
    so it wouldn't get bounced around ,
    and I didn't get hassled .

Reactions: crazypopie1
    Upvote 0

michael e. bingham

I Should Upgrade My Account
    May 26, 2015
    Name
    Pura Vida
    Boat
    Pura Vida 30' Custom Panga
    Check out Nomar store in Homet Alaska , best water proof and storage bags ever , they also have the best fishing clothes for cold weather , iv`e been using there bags and clothes fir 30 plus years , also the bags are great for hunters as well

Upvote 0

Steel Seeker 40

Almost A Member
    Mar 20, 2018
    Seattle, WA
    Name
    Steel Seeker 40
    Boat
    Pelican Catch 120
    I fly with my large rolling tackle box all the time. Alaska Airlines count one fishing rod tube, 115 linear inches, and a tackle box as a single checked item.

Upvote 0