JoeyH650

Stay salty, my friends.
  • Aug 15, 2017
    Pedro Point, Ca
    Name
    Joey
    Boat
    Livingston 15.5
    I usually bring 1 box for jigs/poppers and stuff that thing full, spools of leader in the backpack with packs and packs of hooks and rubber bands thrown in a pocket somewhere with other backup terminal tackle and within the first day of a 3 day trip it becomes the most unorganized situation haha. What kind of bags do you all use? I see a lot of people talk about the nomad rolling bag, but I’ve never actually seen anyone using it on the boats. To be honest, I never really thought about bringing a designated tackle bag or paid much attention what people use, but just kind of curious..learning something new every trip!

Upvote 0

surfgoose

active geezer
  • Jul 29, 2010
    Long Beach, CA, USA
    Name
    Gary
    Boat
    whichever has the longest bunk
    I have a big roller box that I like for the longer trips, a Predator large size that cost $150 from Outkastfishingtackle.com. It holds three of the Plano 3700 trays plus an oversized 3730 tray in the main body, and I put another 3700 and a 3500 in the top tray, plus deckhand kit and stuff. I took the rod-holders off of both sides and use the side panels for other things. Has held up well for four years and still going strong. Since it is going to sit up on the top of the tackle rack I also secure it with a bike lock cable so that it doesn't tip over in a boat roll.

The only issue with a big box or bag is getting a spot on the boat so that you can get into your stuff without being in everyone else's way. So I only take it on the longer trips. For 1.5-day and less I use a nice bag from Flambeau called the AZ6. It carries six of the Plano 3500 boxes, although I only use 5. The extra space holds a water bottle and my deckhand kit and such. I load the boxes vertically so that I can get into whichever one that I want easily. It has a waterproof bottom and useful pockets all around, and comes with a carrying strap to help if you load thirty pounds of lures and stuff like I do. The zippers are strong. It is a well-made tackle bag for about $50.

I replaced the tackle boxes that came with both the Predator and the AZ6 with better boxes that were in different interior designs and had better plastic latches.

Upvote 0

JoeyH650

Stay salty, my friends.
  • Aug 15, 2017
    Pedro Point, Ca
    Name
    Joey
    Boat
    Livingston 15.5
    I have a big roller box that I like for the longer trips, a Predator large size that cost $150 from Outkastfishingtackle.com. It holds three of the Plano 3700 trays plus an oversized 3730 tray in the main body, and I put another 3700 and a 3500 in the top tray, plus deckhand kit and stuff. I took the rod-holders off of both sides and use the side panels for other things. Has held up well for four years and still going strong. Since it is going to sit up on the top of the tackle rack I also secure it with a bike lock cable so that it doesn't tip over in a boat roll.

The only issue with a big box or bag is getting a spot on the boat so that you can get into your stuff without being in everyone else's way. So I only take it on the longer trips. For 1.5-day and less I use a nice bag from Flambeau called the AZ6. It carries six of the Plano 3500 boxes, although I only use 5. The extra space holds a water bottle and my deckhand kit and such. I load the boxes vertically so that I can get into whichever one that I want easily. It has a waterproof bottom and useful pockets all around, and comes with a carrying strap to help if you load thirty pounds of lures and stuff like I do. The zippers are strong. It is a well-made tackle bag for about $50.

I replaced the tackle boxes that came with both the Predator and the AZ6 with better boxes that were in different interior designs and had better plastic latches.
    I like that predator bag and seems a little big, but nice. I’d rather be more organized and have space to put things because every time we make it down south to a tackle shop, more items are purchased and the arsenal keeps growing haha. Going on a 3 day, so that might be the way to go! I wish these bags were sold in shops around here so I can play with it and check it out. 2D pictures on my phone and an online purchase with some crossed fingers that it’s a practical size is what it’ll have to be! I’ll do some more research, but going to have to make a decision sooner than later haha. I do like that AZ6 bag though, maybe perfect for fishing on my friends boats. I appreciate it! Thank you!

Reactions: surfgoose
    Upvote 0

Latest posts