Discussion in 'San Diego Long Range fishing Reports' started by spinner, Sep 20, 2014.
where do you find it?gooooooing
If you are at the docks I saw some at Fishermans Landing Tackle.
They are located in San Clemente or Melton's has it.
Do you insert the mono/fluoro then put the glue on the spectra?
Yes, insert the mono/fluorocarbon 5 or 6 inches into the hollow spectra then apply the glue 1 drop at a time starting at the top and let it wick down to the end of the spectra. Try not to get an overrun onto the mono. If you do don't worry about it as it doesn't seem to hurt anything, just messy. It will be dry by the time you get the cap back on and put it away.
Don't spread it on with your fingers.
I have heard that once the spectra is wet, this method will not work. I am not sure since I never had to do this on the boat. Does anyone know if this is true??
While the spectra is wet, it will not work. But spectra dries out very quickly. Simply do the connection when it dries.
i have been using the shorter version of about 12 inches for a number of years since i learned it fron choate on the red rooster. 6 inches,niceeeeeee. that will really take the coil out of the mono for fishing sardines scratch.goooooooooing
Swifty used to market Spectra Drier, was that just an acetone product? Similar to JB Energizer One?
Their web site says it's very pure superglue. How does this method work with regular superglue? Does tac glue wick into the spectra better?
Do a search on this board, very lengthy and informative discussion.
The MSDS on it looks the same as other super glue adhesives. However, I find it very different in smell, strength and extremely easier to glue your fingers together.
I've done that more with Tacglue in one trip, than I've done with other super glues throughout my whole career.
Okay, I found and read the 11 page thread on this. It's a good read and it does look good. I only have hollow on my Mak 16 and 20 and solid on everything else. I usually use a Pena/Bob Sands or improved Albright to attach mono/fluoro to the spectra. I usually put a drop of superglue on the knot just to be sure. I think I'll stick with that unless/until I have more rigs with hollow.
Its a rather new glue application as far as leader/top shot to hollow super braided line usage goes... but there have been some VERY knowledgeable and CAPABLE cow fisherman use it without failure on the water (which IMO is ALWAYS the BEST test!). Nothing in the leader connection biz is ever 100% as there is always going to be that human error factor in applying/completing whatever connection you the angler selects... but I for one am really hoping this glue works as well as others have stated (via long term "on the water" results) as it truly simplifies the connection process and is more "stealth" (less weight and drag) allowing that little sardine to swim better in that slow pick bite, it also makes re-rigging the heavier stuff much faster and easier to accomplish.
I guess time will tell...
Tight lines and blue skies!
I just bought mine straight from the website. http://www.tacglue.com/
I used the Tac Glue connection on my last 8 day. It held up to a ton of casting of artificials as well as the little bit I fished bait. However, the fish were not that big. I do plan on using the Tac Glued short top shots for my Wahoo artificial casting needs in November but not yet sure what I am going to do about cow fishing. Bob Perkins already made me a bunch of test models using various materaisl so I probably will give them a go. I am also going to try going with a longer leader, about 10 feet, on my casting lures, to see if the bite ratio goes up over my 1 footers. This will cause the insertion and glue points to see more abrasion at the tip so I really want to know how long they will hold up under that condition. I sure am hoping for the best. I have my fingers crossed we will have a great time down south in early November for 14 days on the R.P./Bob Sands Tackle long range trip.
Have a great season
I think there was some issue in testing it by cycling heavy loads on and off. Eventually it gave way little by little. However, I think that can be solved by adding a simple nail knot over the insertion point or at least somewhere near the insertion. Haven't tested it, but it should add enough resistance in case there is some slippage.
Separate names with a comma.