Texlee

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Jun 3, 2012
Vernon, Texas, USA
Name
Alben Lee
Boat
Excel
I want to try and get in some Grouper fishing at night on my 10 dayer in September. I have 100# JB hollow on one reel and 130 on another that I'm taking. I already have a Sato kit.
Should I use the Sato method by itself?
Or the Tacglue by itself?
Or for insurance use both when splicing in my mono?
I appreciate your responses.

Steve K

Hey, I'm gettin' bit...
Jan 2, 2005
Bishop
Name
Steve
Boat
18' Bayrunner, but I like the American Angler and the Red Rooster III
What mono will you use for this? I'd use both crimp and glue. Oops, I do use crimp and glue!

Texlee

Jun 3, 2012
Vernon, Texas, USA
Name
Alben Lee
Boat
Excel
I figured I'd match the same # mono with the same # hollow. Would you do something different? If so please advise.

bbuck

Dec 20, 2005
On the Water
Name
Buck
Boat
sunk
I insert mono or fluorocarbon about 5 inches into the hollow spectra and tac glue the length of the insertion, Be careful not to over apply the glue. With the sato crimp it's important to match spectra to mono/fluorocarbon i.e. 130 to 130. Not so important with the glue. You can put 100 into 130 and the glue will hold fine.

Steve K

Hey, I'm gettin' bit...
Jan 2, 2005
Bishop
Name
Steve
Boat
18' Bayrunner, but I like the American Angler and the Red Rooster III
I figured I'd match the same # mono with the same # hollow. Would you do something different? If so please advise.
I've gone to either JB or Cortland 80 lb hollow for inserting both 100 and 130 lb Seaguar Premier fluorocarbon. Much better grip with a 16 carrier spectra. Depending on the diameter of your mono, or any leader/topshot, I bump up the hollow to 100 lb Cortland C-16.

If you'd like a sample, I'll send you some. 100 lb JB hollow I difficult for me, inserting leader material.
Make your connection hollow to leader material and connect to your main line via splice or loop to loop.

Where are the Tony Pena Knot Pro Staffers? ;)

Fishybuzz

fishybuzz
Apr 4, 2003
Tucson
Visit site
Name
David Tang
Boat
Intrepid
I've gone to either JB or Cortland 80 lb hollow for inserting both 100 and 130 lb Seaguar Premier fluorocarbon. Much better grip with a 16 carrier spectra. Depending on the diameter of your mono, or any leader/topshot, I bump up the hollow to 100 lb Cortland C-16.

If you'd like a sample, I'll send you some. 100 lb JB hollow I difficult for me, inserting leader material.
Make your connection hollow to leader material and connect to your main line via splice or loop to loop.

I not trying to convert anyone he asked a question you and bbuck answered it.....

Normslanding

Oct 13, 2010
Palmetto, Fl., USA
Name
Dave Spangler
Boat
Blue Heaven
I fish Grouper a lot here in Florida, as well as in Mexico. My connection (now) of choice is a Nub with a short insertion and a inch or so of Tac glue. When there is little time the short insertion is made and glued without the Nub. The crimp, serve, etc is (for me) a thing of the past. No failures and a low profile make it very palatable. Also the leader material varies in strength, and my Spectra is 16 weave/strand. I would not hesitate to do it with a 12.

Reactions: DesotoBound

wahoodad

Yaddah X3
Apr 27, 2003
US/Mexico
Name
Choate
Boat
Highliner
I insert mono or fluorocarbon about 5 inches into the hollow spectra and tac glue the length of the insertion, Be careful not to over apply the glue. With the sato crimp it's important to match spectra to mono/fluorocarbon i.e. 130 to 130. Not so important with the glue. You can put 100 into 130 and the glue will hold fine.
I disagree with that, and all I use is Sato crimps and Tac glue.
I constantly put 130# FC into 80# hollow, and never have any issue with doing so.

Texlee

Jun 3, 2012
Vernon, Texas, USA
Name
Alben Lee
Boat
Excel
I disagree with that, and all I use is Sato crimps and Tac glue.
I constantly put 130# FC into 80# hollow, and never have any issue with doing so.
Hoodad. Do you follow the Sato method inserting the leader 4-5' inside the hollow; crimping at the connection; then using the Tac glue?

wahoodad

Yaddah X3
Apr 27, 2003
US/Mexico
Name
Choate
Boat
Highliner
Hoodad. Do you follow the Sato method inserting the leader 4-5' inside the hollow; crimping at the connection; then using the Tac glue?

6 to 12 inches is fine, Tac glue almost the whole section that contains the fc, I do not Tac glue the last inch of the fc.
Long story, but trust me, don't glue it to the end.

Texlee

Jun 3, 2012
Vernon, Texas, USA
Name
Alben Lee
Boat
Excel

Thank you Steve for offering to send a sample. But because of all the responses i gave gotten from you and everyone else, i feel i have the info i need. Again, thanks for the offer. Have a good weekend.

DC61

Dec 28, 2011
Dana Point
Name
Paul L.
Boat
33’ Blackfin
Where do you guys buy the Tac glue? I am in south OC. Thanks

alan760

Dec 7, 2003
Encinitas, CA
Name
Alan
Boat
American Angler
Where do you guys buy the Tac glue? I am in south OC. Thanks
Fishermens landing carries it and they have a booth at Fred hall

AKSalmon

Jul 15, 2006
Juneau, Alaska
Name
Bill Brown
Boat
Sold my Parker. You can find me on the Red Rooster.
What about this connection: Insert the mono or flouro two feet into the spectra and then tie a half hitch close to where the mono comes out of the spectra. Cinch down well.