T9.9 Leaking motor oil out exhaust?

Salmon Addict

Feb 5, 2011
Area 7 San Juans
Name
Matt
Boat
20' Alumaweld Blackhawk
I got a late 90s kicker that runs like a champ and never misses a beat. But have noticed a small pool of motor oil on the shop floor. Leaks from the exhaust. There is a pretty good sheen of oil when the motor is first started up. Smokes a good amount for a few minutes till is warmed up. Then clears up? Anyone have this problem? There is never any water in the motor or the lower unit fluids. Is it the valve guides or maybe the shaft seal?

critterkiller

AKA Cohobankie
Jul 18, 2012
W.Seattle
Name
Jefe'
Boat
1998 Tiderunner Pt. Defiance
I had the exhaust spitting oil when the impellar cover was cracked by a local shop. At that point it was seeping out the gasket.

Clockwork

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Feb 16, 2011
covington, wa
Name
Ryan
Boat
GW Marlin
this is usually rings. sometimes you can run for a long time on worn rings.

outtadablu

Gettin' Ready to go KILL some fishes
Jan 14, 2009
Whidbey Island
Name
Dave
Boat
26' Osprey "Outtadablu"
Just had a similar issue with my 300 Zuke. Turned out to be O-ring behind prop shaft seal. You never know.

W

woodrow246

Matt, see if the oil smells like gas. i know that a bad fuel pump diaphram can leak more than a desired amount of fuel into the crankcase and thin the oil out just enough to get a little blow by until it heats up and burns off, plus its thinner. My guess is some how you are getting some fuel in the oil... I would start at the diaphram..

Salmon Addict

Feb 5, 2011
Area 7 San Juans
Name
Matt
Boat
20' Alumaweld Blackhawk
Matt, see if the oil smells like gas. i know that a bad fuel pump diaphram can leak more than a desired amount of fuel into the crankcase and thin the oil out just enough to get a little blow by until it heats up and burns off, plus its thinner. My guess is some how you are getting some fuel in the oil... I would start at the diaphram..
Andy I have replaced the fuel diaphram and water thermostat already this year. It really doesnt smoke that bad when you warm it up just more concerned about the small amount of engine oil that leaks from the prop exhaust area when sitting in the garage.

Salmon Addict

Feb 5, 2011
Area 7 San Juans
Name
Matt
Boat
20' Alumaweld Blackhawk
The oil is new and doesn't smell like gas. But I did notice it was making oil a few months ago that's why I replaced the fuel diaphram.