Ted snellen

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Dec 30, 2011
Seal beach ca us
Name
Ted
Boat
Pinta
Checking to see if anyone has used T- mobile as their service while in baja and how good it is.They offer a share plan that offers free data and phone within baja and to the US.Looking for service mainly around the San Quintin area. I'm with att right now on a viva mex plan but it only offers limited minutes, although the service is very good.I even get a signal 6 miles out at sea.Any feedback would be appreciated

Mocruz1200

Probably on a panga somewhere down south
Apr 17, 2013
midway city
Name
Moises
Boat
None
yup. the drive to san quintin has some dead zones, but san quintin itself has 4gLTE all over. i use it all the time

Reactions: Dogman619

Willdoggy

Willing Member
Jun 25, 2014
Chula Vista
Name
IG = WetWillyBiz
Boat
Purr-Sea-Stance: Boston Whaler Montauk 170
I'll be following this as I too have AT&T / Viva Mexico service plan. I have had it for many years and I'm happy with it. Telcel and recently MovieStar seem to take over my phone most of the time South of the border. Seldom do I get an AT&T signal more than 1 mile South of US border. What's your experience?
In SQ I'd be happy with any service!

Ted snellen

Dec 30, 2011
Seal beach ca us
Name
Ted
Boat
Pinta
Yes when I cross over either .movie star or telcel takeover whichever signal is strongest. I just checked again with AT&T for other plans and they tell me that on a mobile share plan I can get free texting and phone while in Mexico and and 1 gig of data. Something they never offered before. And they say it'll be $40 cheaper than what I'm paying now. Looks like maybe both of us will be heading to the A&T store for new service plans. Thanks for the response

Feb 7, 2010
Minneapolis/Gilroy/Buena Vista
Name
J. David LeCompte
Boat
20' Triton
I don't have much to add, and it's mostly for BCS, so . . . grain of salt.
Telcel/Movistar seem to takeover all phones throughout Baja, regardless of U.S. provider. The rich get richer, which is fine -- at least they're cooperating, and we can stay in touch! You can always swing through Oxxo and grab a cheap, reliable "burner." Historically, AT&T's signal has been best, though T-Mobile seems a close second. However, Verizon recently got on board, thank God. For $2 a day, you get your normal time/data usage, and the coverage went from spotty to extensive -- again, I can only confirm this in the area south of La Paz. I'm driving down in May, curious to see their coverage throughout the peninsula. . . Saludos

bays90

Mar 17, 2010
Kailua-Kona HI USA
Name
Chris
Boat
46' Viking, Mi Novia, Quepos, Costa Rica
Get a T mobile plan they do not have roaming charges in Mexico or Canada. AT&T is a us company and they can't have services in Mexico. They and T mobile have roaming agreements set up with Telcel and Movistar so you will roam on there towers. I got great coverage most of the way down the Baja by water losing signal about 50 miles south of Turtle bay and gaining it again about 75 north of Cabo. I switched to T mobile since I am doing a lot of traveling internationally to Costa Rica and Panama and the rates are way better. I use T mobile with unlimited text and internet use in any country and $.20/min talk where I was paying .50/min and had limited text and talk that I prepaid for with AT&T. Way better deal but terrible coverage in the US other than the major cities.

BornFisher

Jun 17, 2003
Encinitas (Olivenhain)
Visit site
Name
Bill Fisher
Boat
18' Bayliner Trophy, cuddy
I was in SQ about 3 weeks ago. T-mobile worked perfect for a hot spot. $55 a month!!! As I write this, I`m in Rosarito Beach again using the phone for a hot spot. For some reason, Moviestar is bad for internet, but you can change carriers in your settings (IPhone 6).