T Bird 1.5d - rod/reel and Tackle advice

Mar 17, 2020
Bay Area, CA
Name
Christopher Hand
Boat
Triton
So by some miracle the wife gave me the thumbs up to go on the I got a spot on the T Bird - Fishing syndicate Trip and buy a new rig. On the other hand my more experienced buddy wasn't so lucky, so ill be flying solo this trip. I'm still really new to the SD fishery and also these big bluefins. After getting addicted to socal fishing last year I was able to piece together some pretty good setups.

#30 - Phenix Abyss HD 15-40 w/ Avet MX G2 - 65lb
#40 Bait- Thrasher TR MF 76H w/ Avet MXJ Raptor - 65lb
#40-50 SInker - Phenix Axis 708xh w/ Tac 12 - 80lb
#60 Sinker/Flatfall? - Calstar 765ML w/ Tac 16 - 80lb

I'm thinking I should probably get a 80-100# setup as my next rig but I'm not sure if I should just go and use one of the boats big setups or try to get a rig together before the trip.

Also I only really have experience with bait for schoolie sized tuna, YT, and dorado. I haven't really had the chance to do any flatfall fishing or sinker fishing. I currently have some stock 150-200g flatfalls but was thinking I should probably buy some of the custom rigged bigger flatfalls. Does squidco or anglers choice have custom rigged FF's? Also if anyone can point me to some resources to on how to fish using the freefall that would be awesome. I appreciate any feedback or tips as this will be my first solo trip and still am pretty much a newbie. This forum and community are the best. TY

Upvote 0

SD714

• Jul 17, 2012
    Orange County, CA
    Name
    Steven Do
    Boat
    None
    Depending on how much you go, rent from the landing or call the boat in advance and ask to use their heavier rigs. If you plan on going more in the future, get yourself a heavier setup. A UC 76viper and mak20 or penn visx 20 will do the job. If you’re tight on budget an Okuma pch rod and penn fathom 40ld with #80. I would definitely upgrade the hooks on your heavier flatfalls and have them rigged with heavier line. Smaller FFs you can change the hooks and tie onto your leader. Also, add some heavier knife jigs to your arsenal; seems like those have been working better than flatfalls. They get to the water column faster. Both the shops you mentioned should have it. If not, check fisherman’s landing tackle shop. They should have everything listed above.

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

2Rotten

Live in Oregon/Love to Fish San Diego!
    Jan 10, 2010
    Junction City OR
    Name
    Rod Lathrop
    Boat
    24' North River Seahawk Hardtop "Sun Dog"
    SD714 Nailed It! You will Definitely need a "Heavy" don't leave the dock without it. If you are "Young" in your off-shore career then "Buy once, Cry once". Don't rent; don't settle for a light/heavy; purchase a 7'6" Viper or (budget) Okuma PCH 741XXXH and pair it with a Penn VISX 16/20 or Okuma Makaira 20 SEa, loaded with 100 or 130# braid. If you still aren't certain about this Big Tuna/Offshore San Diego scene, then rent a 100# rig for this trip. Alert: Rent Rods are a mixed bag; inspect guides and amount of spectra and pull on the drag before you accept a Rent Rod; I have seen bad guides cost people a life-time fish, and I have seen Rent Rods that had a dab of spectra and were then spooled with mono; won't fish worth a crap.

Good luck! I want to see Pics!!!

OnTheRocks2003
    OnTheRocks2003
    Know any local shops that would have a viper or centaur in stock? I've learned that even if I don't end up liking the nicer gear there is always a strong resale market as I tend to baby my gear. So i find purchasing tends to be better.
    Upvote 0

kevina

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
  • Sep 10, 2006
    redondo beach
    Name
    kev
    Boat
    25' aqua sport
    Depending on how much you go, rent from the landing or call the boat in advance and ask to use their heavier rigs. If you plan on going more in the future, get yourself a heavier setup. A UC 76viper and mak20 or penn visx 20 will do the job. If you’re tight on budget an Okuma pch rod and penn fathom 40ld with #80. I would definitely upgrade the hooks on your heavier flatfalls and have them rigged with heavier line. Smaller FFs you can change the hooks and tie onto your leader. Also, add some heavier knife jigs to your arsenal; seems like those have been working better than flatfalls. They get to the water column faster. Both the shops you mentioned should have it. If not, check fisherman’s landing tackle shop. They should have everything listed above.
    Agree with you especially check with the boat and make sure they save one heavy set up before the boat leaves the dock, If not just rent one.

Upvote 0

ChicoBob

• Mar 10, 2018
    Chico, CA
    Name
    Robert Wiechert
    Boat
    North River
    Agree with all the previous posts so just have one thing to add. Make
    sure your heavy setup has metered or marked braid. If you don't know how deep you are fishing you will struggle to get bit. Oh, my buddy lost a big BF on a rental rod when the braid to mono knot parted ways. Learn to tie great knots! Tight lines

Upvote 0

Mr. DRE

I Should Upgrade My Account
  • Sep 23, 2019
    West Hills, CA
    Name
    Andre
    Boat
    Private
    I have not fished the Centaur but the Viper is one bad ass rod. I had two build and then added a UC Deviant. Looking to sell this one at a loss LMK if you are interested $500

Mr. DRE

I Should Upgrade My Account
  • Sep 23, 2019
    West Hills, CA
    Name
    Andre
    Boat
    Private
    Rod was used but I'll subtract 50 bucks for any scratch you find anywhere including reel seat LOL

20210621_000946.jpg