SXJ Clicker Problem

Discussion in 'Avet Reels Support' started by Cutgilz, May 22, 2016.

1. Cutgilz

Cutgilz Member

Name:
    Eddie
    Boat:
    YOURS
    Recieved my new sxj in the mail friday, just now spooled it up and noticed the clicker is pretty much non existent(silent with no resistance no matter the drag setting). Is this a common problem? Could i send it into AveT or is there something I can do myself to fix it? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

2. baybassboy

baybassboy Bass Hippie

Name:
    Mo Williams
    Boat:
    17' HydraSports CC, "Motivator"; Outcast Super FatCat
    I had the exact same problem with an HX Raptor. I took mine in to Avet, and they fixed it at no charge while I waited. It is unfortunate that it even happens, but their response to it was very satisfactory. Give them a call and I'm sure they will get you all set up.

As an aside... There is nothing wrong mechanically with the reel, so don't be afraid to put it to work in the meantime.

Cutgilz likes this.
  3. Cutgilz

Cutgilz Member

Name:
    Eddie
    Boat:
    YOURS

Glad to hear there is a fix.. Thanks Mo, much appreciated.

4. Elkhitman

Elkhitman Newbie

Name:
    Bryan
    Boat:
    No boat.
    I have an SXJ as well that has the same problem. Bought it when they first came out to fish stripers with live bait. Because the clicker is so light/pretty much non existent I have to set the lever forward just slightly. Never thought about sending it in, if you contact Avet will you post back in this thread Cutgilz?

5. DannyNoonan

DannyNoonan Smarter than I look...

Name:
    Jim
    Boat:
    Somebody Else's
    Remove the couple screws on the handle side plate - the entire right side plate and spool come out of the frame, revealing the clicker. A quick visual should reveal what the problem is...

Single speed Avets are about the easiest reels in the world to service...

6. AKSalmon

AKSalmon I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Bill Brown
    Boat:
    Sold my Parker. You can find me on the Red Rooster.
    Remove the right side plate and you'll see the clicker. If it is covered with grease, you may be able to increase your clicker volume by brushing away the grease and replaced it with a light oil. That said, most Avet clickers just aren't very loud. Or good.

7. Cutgilz

Cutgilz Member

Name:
    Eddie
    Boat:
    YOURS
    WTF is going on here? I am finding out through this thread and others, friends and the internet that this comment AKSalmon posted is true. Why? Avet has been in the game for a number of years now and they can't produce a descent clicker? I'm sure some people get by without it and some wish they worked better for its intended purpose but the degree of the clicker's importance to each individual fisherman is irrelevant. The fact that you can purchase a $450 Avet(HXJ Raptor mentioned above) and can't depend on the clicker to work properly just blows my mind.

You can purchase a low end reel from a majority if not all of the reel manufacturers and the clicker will work properly and loudly! I'm a little confused how with this issue and the whole clicker almost being impossible to engage thing, people are just cool with it.

8. AKSalmon

AKSalmon I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Bill Brown
    Boat:
    Sold my Parker. You can find me on the Red Rooster.
    The very first Avets had optional clickers, a hint that they were meant to be casting reels not trolling or bottom fishing reels. Up here in Alaska, many people use the smaller Avets as salmon trolling reels so the clicker is important to many people. Too often users complain that the clickers are quiet or hard to turn on and off. BUT: Avet has just made some changes in the clicker on the MX series and, I suspect though I haven't seen, on the SX and JX/LX reels as well. This is good.

marlyn likes this.
  9. mike1010

mike1010 Member

Name:
    Michael
    Boat:
    none
    Avets have clickers?

marlyn likes this.
  10. Shimano Penn

Shimano Penn Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    David
    Boat:
    Fond Memory

This is EXACTLY how I feel and why I probably won't buy any more avets. I'm sort of sorry I bought the five I have. Brand new out-of-the-box HXW Raptor for over $500 and I had to send it back ???? Even "fixed" the clicker is pretty much worthless and very difficult to engage/disengage as is the other HXWR and my (3) mxl's. How can a top of the line maker build such a high tech product in every ohter respect and yet have such a pos mechanism ? As said above many just don't care and I really don't on the little mxl's but I was hoping to use the HXW's as trolling reels as an "upgrade" to some TLD 30/2's. NOT

dunfishin likes this.
  11. hystix

hystix 50 Ton Master

Name:
    Harold Yamagata
    Boat:
    21' Cape Horn
    Open up the reel as described by others and remove the nylon washer thats installed. Makes engaging and disengaging easier and also increases the sound.

12. dunfishin

dunfishin Member

Name:
    dennis fishman
    Boat:
    12 valco aluminum
    the same thing happened to me on my MXL Raptor two speed. Shitty clicker u can barely hear and I paid $500 for the reel, im pissed.

13. mike1010

mike1010 Member

Name:
    Michael
    Boat:
    none
    My SXJ clicker is practically nonexistent. All of my Avets have had really quiet clickers... until now. I was given a new MXJ for Father's Day, and that clicker is loud, almost as loud as the clickers on my old Penns. So, is this Avet waking up and smelling the coffee, or just a chance occurence?

14. John McKroid

John McKroid Newbie

Name:
    John McKroid
    Boat:
    Hobie Pro Angler 14
    The clicker is a crucial part of the reel in SE Florida. Some of the tackle stores stopped carrying Avets because of the crappy clickers. Wish Avet would wake up on this issue.