SXJ capabilites, what have you guys caught on yours?

Hungone

I Should Upgrade My Account
Jan 14, 2012
Long beach
Name
Hung One
Boat
Hung One
Just curious, what's the biggest fish you've caught on your sxj's?

I've caught some nice bluefin and yellow on mine, just curious to what they can handle

Upvote 0

sdfishkiller

Cod Smuggler
Mar 13, 2005
Point Loma
Name
Todd Victor Mora
Boat
19' Whaler: EL SUPER LIZARDFISH
Not a sxj, but an sx: a 115# Opah on 15#!

Upvote 0

MikeyLikesIt

did you say FISHING ???
Feb 24, 2003
East-a-La-Mesa, baby!
Name
starts with an "M".....
Boat
#1 boat scrubber - Team Madrugador
Brand new SX. First deployment: Cedros on the RRIII. Hooked and eventually landed a 40#YT on surface iron. It took several long runs. After that, the reel would not work properly.....felt like a high spot of line had been carelessly wound onto the spool....

Had a guy onboard really familiar with AVET. Opened it up, and found that the drag material had "worn away" and then "bunched up" in one spot on the main gear. Cleaned it up, and proceeded to catch fish....

Probably a little undersized for the class of yellows we were hooking that day......but it was fun! :D

Upvote 0

tapatio

Oct 19, 2011
tarzana
Name
aren antounian
Boat
montauk 17' and Glass Pro "Merisa Maru II"
so far only hand a hand full of trips with the sxj, 4 1/2 foot pin back shark

Upvote 0

TexMojoII

Well, Shit!
Jul 18, 2010
Lacey, Washington
Name
Larry
Boat
Parker 2820
Brand new SX. First deployment: Cedros on the RRIII. Hooked and eventually landed a 40#YT on surface iron. It took several long runs. After that, the reel would not work properly.....felt like a high spot of line had been carelessly wound onto the spool....

Had a guy onboard really familiar with AVET. Opened it up, and found that the drag material had "worn away" and then "bunched up" in one spot on the main gear. Cleaned it up, and proceeded to catch fish....

Probably a little undersized for the class of yellows we were hooking that day......but it was fun! :D
So a guy who was familiar with avets fixed Okuma Andros? Cool,, but maybe it was lack of knowledge of the user in the first place. Andros and Avets are not really the same.

Upvote 0

Carl

Bridesmaid,,,,,,,Again
  • Nov 29, 2004
    San Diego
    Name
    Carl
    Boat
    everyone elses
    So a guy who was familiar with avets fixed Okuma Andros? Cool,, but maybe it was lack of knowledge of the user in the first place. Andros and Avets are not really the same.
    Pour the rest of the Fireball down the drain.
    Get some sleep.
    When you wake up, get some help.

Reactions: Hungone
    Upvote 0

TexMojoII

Well, Shit!
    Jul 18, 2010
    Lacey, Washington
    Name
    Larry
    Boat
    Parker 2820
    LOL, I Love you too. So I say this with an abundance of sincerity, Go fuck yourself Carl. Man, do you guys ever fish down there or just peruse our PNW forum to cause shit? Only interaction I have with you KTards is when you chime in on our post. Maybe we need to start checking out the Cali forum, oh,, wait, I did try that, but all you guys do is stab each other in the back and talk about your Disney cruises. Grow some balls down there and then don't let another guy fondle them, then you guys may be Ok. LOL

Upvote 0

MikeyLikesIt

did you say FISHING ???
    Feb 24, 2003
    East-a-La-Mesa, baby!
    Name
    starts with an "M".....
    Boat

are you drinking already? LOL

at CEDROS ISLAND, knucklehead. :shake:

Man, do you guys ever fish down there or just peruse our PNW forum to cause shit?

and what forum is this? :fighting0061:

Upvote 0

TexMojoII

Well, Shit!
    Jul 18, 2010
    Lacey, Washington
    Name
    Larry
    Boat
    Parker 2820
    I just figured I would use your guys lame excuse, we don't look intentionally at the PNW, we look at the New Post forum. Funny shit, we never go there, but we can't help it if you guys can't get along and keep your little threads going so they show up on the new post section. You guys are starting to bore me. Maybe you guys should head up to Frisco, I bet they could teach you a few new things to keep shit exciting down there. LOL

Upvote 0

Johnny J

Formally INOXicated
    May 10, 2008
    Idyllwild, CA USA
    www.bluepacifictackle.com
    Name
    John
    Boat
    not mine
    LOL, I Love you too. So I say this with an abundance of sincerity, Go fuck yourself Carl. Man, do you guys ever fish down there or just peruse our PNW forum to cause shit? Only interaction I have with you KTards is when you chime in on our post. Maybe we need to start checking out the Cali forum, oh,, wait, I did try that, but all you guys do is stab each other in the back and talk about your Disney cruises. Grow some balls down there and then don't let another guy fondle them, then you guys may be Ok. LOL

We chimed in because the OP asked about big fish.

Upvote 0

TexMojoII

Well, Shit!
    Jul 18, 2010
    Lacey, Washington
    Name
    Larry
    Boat
    Parker 2820
    are you drinking already? LOL

at CEDROS ISLAND, knucklehead. :shake:

and what forum is this? :fighting0061:
    Well shit, you guys seem so programmed to just click on the New Post so I figured I would see what its about, now I know why you guys are always trolling our threads, you fucking guys are boring, well, I do like to hear about all the activities you guys get to do on the Disney cruises, Man, dart tournaments, internet, chef, I didn't see pin the tail on the donkey, maybe you guys should do that one next trip, and please post pictures, and let the deckhand hand you a fish for a pic at least and maybe you should ask them to show you guys how to bait a hook instead of them doing it for you. That would be another cool pic. LOL

Upvote 0

MikeyLikesIt

did you say FISHING ???
    Feb 24, 2003
    East-a-La-Mesa, baby!
    Name
    starts with an "M".....
    Boat
    Well shit, you guys seem so programmed to just click on the New Post so I figured I would see what its about, now I know why you guys are always trolling our threads, you fucking guys are boring, well, I do like to hear about all the activities you guys get to do on the Disney cruises, Man, dart tournaments, internet, chef, I didn't see pin the tail on the donkey, maybe you guys should do that one next trip, and please post pictures, and let the deckhand hand you a fish for a pic at least and maybe you should ask them to show you guys how to bait a hook instead of them doing it for you. That would be another cool pic. LOL

just cause that's how you roll on charters don't mean that we do it that way..........

...........just sayin. :D

man, this is more fun than football...... LOL

Upvote 0

Carl

Bridesmaid,,,,,,,Again
  • Nov 29, 2004
    San Diego
    Name
    Carl
    Boat
    everyone elses
    We chimed in because the OP asked about big fish.
    :appl:

TMII got owned......

That's what's fun about the Washi Forum.....Kinda like a little brother to pick on......

Upvote 0

MikeyLikesIt

did you say FISHING ???
    Feb 24, 2003
    East-a-La-Mesa, baby!
    Name
    starts with an "M".....
    Boat
    Man, do you guys ever fish down there or just peruse our PNW forum to cause shit?

well, we dont fish when the weather is up like you guys do........wanna know why? WE DON'T HAVE TO......good weather is always right around the corner for us, instead of snowstorms. :D

....your turn. :rofl:

Upvote 0

sdrepairman

Jul 2, 2012
    san diego
    Name
    nick
    Boat
    n/a
    i have caught many bft up to a little over 60lbs
    yft to 45 lbs
    lingcod up to 17 lbs
    and yt to 35 lbs
    i had a real big bft ( 100 plus ) on this past season for a little over an hour an a half before the line broke
    all on the sxj with no problems
    if you do not over tighten the drag and keep it clean you should do good with it

Upvote 0

Guy with a boat

Zebco Pro Staffer
    Jan 28, 2009
    SoCal and Victoria, BC
    Name
    Jeff
    Boat
    63 Nordhavn

Seriously?
    You are a genius.
    Wow.

Upvote 0

TexMojoII

Well, Shit!
    Jul 18, 2010
    Lacey, Washington
    Name
    Larry
    Boat
    Parker 2820
    Just curious, what's the biggest fish you've caught on your sxj's?

I've caught some nice bluefin and yellow on mine, just curious to what they can handle
    If you caught blue and yellow on it, then I wouldn't doubt its usage, friends have caught some hefty sturgeon on the MXL also. and there easy to do maintenance on. What were you thinking about targeting with it?

Upvote 0

Hungone

I Should Upgrade My Account
    Jan 14, 2012
    Long beach
    Name
    Hung One
    Boat
    Hung One
    I've caugh BFT up to 30 lbs, school sized yellows

I was just curious, to what they can handle. I'll feel conident now flicking a dine out at some 40-50 BFT. I enjoy the fight

Upvote 0

ozbloke

Fisherman
    Aug 27, 2012
    fremont ca usa
    Name
    stu webber
    Boat
    THE REEL OFFICE
    take a look at novembers photo winner thats a mc but this past month 3 sturgeon all 1 under &2 in the slot all relesdd on the SXJ

Upvote 0