SX or SXJ??????

finslayer

Nov 29, 2011
Jamul
Name
Steve Cazares
Boat
1959 Glasspar 17' / Cobra Maurader Kayak
I just sold my old SX because it was too old to add the MC frame. I cannot decide for the life of me between the SX or SXJ. I would get the single speed with the MC cast. I would like to hear some opinions! I would use 40 or 50 braid. I mostly fish in the kelp or in the bay with my yak. Butts, bass and yellows. I have a Shimano Terramar fast action waiting for it. Also, should I get the 2 speed?

Upvote 0

DoradoJ

Almost A Member
Jul 6, 2013
Norwalk, CA
Name
Jesse
Boat
La Orizaba
I personally like the SXJ for the size, its a really fun little reel that has plenty of power. The drag set up on that reel is designed to be fished with 15lb line to 25lb line. I spooled mine with 50lb braid and just change the topshot of flouro depending on what I target. Since your on your kayak the difference in line capacity between the SX and SXJ shouldn't matter. As far as the two speed version; they are nice, but I do not think it is necessary at the 25lb line class. If you are interested for the higher speed of 6/4 in comparison to the 5.3 on the single speed because you like to yo-yo then that would be something to take into consideration. Hope this helps.

Upvote 0

finslayer

Nov 29, 2011
Jamul
Name
Steve Cazares
Boat
1959 Glasspar 17' / Cobra Maurader Kayak
Thanks, it does help. The reason I was thinking about the 2 speed is because I would like to yoyo. I probably would not even use the lower gear option. I wish they has a single speed in high gear. I think I might be leaning towards the SX because it is more diverse. The only thing I gain with the SXJ is its lighter and probably a little easier to cast with the smaller stuff. I also do a lot of shore fishing when I don't feel like dealing with the kayak. I have caught a 70+ pound bat ray with my old SX and wonder if I would have been spooled if I had used the SXJ. :imdumb: What is the biggest fish you have caught on your SXJ?

Upvote 0

JFK

I Should Upgrade My Account
Apr 3, 2008
Santa Cruz, Ca
Name
James
Boat
14' Livingston skiff
If it's a newer teramar with the skeleton reel seat then an SX won't fit. The SXJ has the skinnier foot that will fit that rod better. You can get the skinnier foot to put on the SX. I don't believe speed is a benefit on anything under 40-50#. Kayak reels get exposed to more elements than on a boat, more likley to get dunked. Simpler and fewer moving parts would be beneficial, so another reaosn not to go 2 speed.

My advice...get one of each!

Upvote 0

sdrepairman

Jul 2, 2012
san diego
Name
nick
Boat
n/a
sxj
i do 90% of my local and offshore fishing with them
and since you can not fish them too heavy, i spool mine up with 30 lb braid
they are great little reels

Upvote 0

DoradoJ

Almost A Member
Jul 6, 2013
Norwalk, CA
Name
Jesse
Boat
La Orizaba
The biggest I caught on my SXJ was a 40lb yellowtail in La Jolla off my kayak. As far as you getting spooled using a SXJ versus a SX, they are exactly the same drag set-up. Only difference is the narrow spool.

Upvote 0

drumford

gotta go babe!
Sep 20, 2010
C.M. CA
Name
Dondo
Boat
Cory's Rig
Single speed SX....... No need to over-think the situation! #70 bat ray? Answered your own question.:hali_olutta: Cheers!

Reactions: matta57
Upvote 0

johndtuttle

Angler/Client
Mar 20, 2008
Carmel, CA
Name
john
Boat
not crazy enough yet
You can put 300 yards of 40lb braid on the SXJ

I really think that smaller and narrower is the way to go whenever you can meet your line capacity and drag needs.

Far less 'wobble' and twist in your hand when cranking under load.

If you're in a yak I would think 300yds of 40 would get 'er done.

regards

ps I have bought a lot of too big reels over the years and wasted a lot of line that never saw water, haven't bought one yet that was too small when I reached for it.

Upvote 0

stucktip

I Should Upgrade My Account
Oct 3, 2011
OG Spring Valley, currently- North Park, San Diego
Name
Gabe
Boat
Whatever
If you think about it, 300yds/900ft of line is (3) football fields worth of line. If a 20lb fish takes that much line from you then you have your drag set too light. I fish my SXJ with 20lb for bait and have only seen the braid once after a long soak and some quick runs from a dorado. SXJ, SX, MXJ, MXL all have the same drag so it just depends on how much line you need and how much $$$ you want to spend. Also remember if you choose an SXJ it does not have a clamp so you need a rod with a reel seat unless you find some way to Jheri rig it.

Also, keep in mind this just my own personal opinion and I am no means any type of authority on the subject

Upvote 0

princefredo

May 23, 2010
Lakewood, Ca
Name
alfredo
Boat
13” Whaler, 6DEUCE (my first ship CV-62)
I have an SX Raptor and an SXJ. I most of my fishing with the SXJ. I caught a 24lb Yellow with it last year. Took a while cause I had it spooled with 15lb line. I was going for calico when it picked up my bait. but it could have handled it much easier if I had 20-25lb line.

Upvote 0