SX 1 or 2 speed?

Trebo

Mar 16, 2006
Inland
Name
Lorenzo
Boat
Between
Almost pulled the trigger yesterday on an SX5.3, but thought I'd wait until I had a chance to get some feedback on the 6/4. As I mentioned in a previous thread, my fishing has been (almost) exclusively single day inshore. In short, my question is, Is the 6/4 worth the extra $80, or is this money better put toward a second reel? Thanks.

okie man

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Oct 24, 2006
new palestine indiana
Name
kerry way
Boat
18' javalin
only way i'd get 2 speed is if i was going to let my little boy use it. other wise save the money for fishing trips or more tackle.

T'Una Mas

Oct 15, 2005
Burlington, Vermont
Name
Scott
Boat
30 ft Sea Ray
I bought 3 SX's last year for the kids (twins 9 and an 11 yo) to take to Alaska. All were single speed. They had a ball with them all week and they never neeed 2 speeds whether fishing butts or salmon! We were fishing off Baranof. This summer they used them off the East Coast for stripers and blues, and they haven't missed a beat.

Alter Ego

Intrepid 12/07...273# yft
May 1, 2005
San Diego
Name
Brent
Boat
long range
Agreed. My MXL is single speed. I don't think you need a 2 speed in that line class. 40# is my lightest 2 speed rig.

marlyn

Dec 18, 2005
oak hills
Name
mark
Boat
21' skiff and 12' portabote recycled from milk jugs
interesting,ive been pondering the same questions myself.at what line class does a 2 speed really become advantagious?my thoughts were 40 pound also but ive talked to quite a few guys with 2 speed sx's who swear by them for 20 lb,anyone else here who uses 2 speeds on the lighter line classes?

Sep 16, 2007
glendora ca.
Name
steve huth
Boat
mike's-bill's good to have friends
the only reason for a 6-1 ratio is jigging iron. never jig with less than 40# line for yellows.

marlyn

Dec 18, 2005
oak hills
Name
mark
Boat
21' skiff and 12' portabote recycled from milk jugs
double z didnt you use an sx quite a bit on that rooster trip last year?was it a 2 speed?if not do you think a 2 speed would have helped?what pound test did you use on it?

DaBigOno

Aug 23, 2007
Name
Al
Boat
Nora Lee
get a single speed and save your money. the sx is a good 20-25 lb reel and wont require a very low gear ratio to turn that handle. maybe you could put the extra money and buy another avet reel like a single speed mxl or mxj.... yeah, do that!!!!

Double Z

Apr 12, 2004
Outside the Orange Curtain...
www.IspendtoomuchtimeonBloodyDecks.com
Name
Harry S. Stamper
Boat
Nope
:Emoticon_Potty_Time
double z didnt you use an sx quite a bit on that rooster trip last year?was it a 2 speed?if not do you think a 2 speed would have helped?what pound test did you use on it?

Single speed I got from Karl. It was absolutely my go to rig. 50lb spectra with a very short topper of 25lb Stren pink flouro tied to a ringed Owner 2/0. I was right at 7.5lbs at strike and 10+ at full. I'll never look at SX or 270 size reels the same again. Don't forget, there are several people here that have caught much bigger tuna on the SX. My biggest was under 60lbs and I know there are 70+pounders taken. I hope to improve this year.

I had a two speed on the trip but hardly fished it. I like it more for throwing iron locally and it actually worked pretty well on bottom critters my last trip.

GiantSoup

Jul 17, 2006
San Diego
Name
Taylor
Boat
N/A
I got myself a two speed SX this past summer and i love it. Although i do agree with most of you in that you dont really need it for such a small reel... it is really just that cool factor in that you have such a small little reel that is a 2 speed. i also plan on using mine on long range trips and getting my own tuna on the SX.

If you think you would want to take it on a long range trip than i would get the two speed. if you just want to use it for local or small fishys than save the 80 and get the single speed.

SpikeCB22

Friend of Joe Morgan
Aug 7, 2006
calafagas, CA
Name
not Jon Miller
Boat
none
It sounds like he's having second thoughts about spending the extra money. Unless that $80 is expendable, then he should probably save it.