PENN

Bud B

Fear the Kraken
Dec 5, 2004
Name
Bud
Boat
Spotfin
The Pier Institute guys and some of the commercial guys they contracted with have hooked more then just what would be considered "a fluke".

And the gillnet guys have been hammering the Kings the past couple months

They are hooking them basically at 900-1000 on large squid locally. (One of the contracted guys is in our code group)

And here is a video by Pier

Beats the hell outta rockfishing! And Opah wouldn't be a surprise at all doing the deep drop for swords.

Upvote 0

Werfless

Hugh Mann
Sep 15, 2012
The county
Name
Hugh Mann
Boat
Plastic Chariot
I dont care about the swordies.. did you use humbolts to catch them? if so, any chance of sharing what bank/ledge/corner you caught them on? figured I would ask, even if it was a snowball in hell, I love catching those things..

Upvote 0

Ali

Master of Nothing
Admin
Apr 24, 2003
San Diego
Name
That Guy
Boat
SeaVee 340Z
So cool. They have been getting them slow but steady for over a year now.

Upvote 0

UnReel

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Nov 5, 2003
So Cal
Name
You couldn't say it anyway
Boat
24' Skipjack open "UnReel"
Very nice and thanks for sharing that.

Upvote 0

OCEAN theRAPIST

I Should Upgrade My Account
Feb 9, 2012
san diego/kali/us
Name
randy
Boat
ocean therapist
I dont care about the swordies.. did you use humbolts to catch them? if so, any chance of sharing what bank/ledge/corner you caught them on? figured I would ask, even if it was a snowball in hell, I love catching those things..

squid squid squid i see you ask alot about the big squid. 1st this video has been on youtube for some time i see it says it was published on jan 17th. i watched this last year so even if they were making bait it wouldnt matter. and the big squids they use are store bought swordie baits some even come pre rigged

Upvote 0

Bud B

Fear the Kraken
Dec 5, 2004
Name
Bud
Boat
Spotfin
squid squid squid i see you ask alot about the big squid. 1st this video has been on youtube for some time i see it says it was published on jan 17th. i watched this last year so even if they were making bait it wouldnt matter. and the big squids they use are store bought swordie baits some even come pre rigged

The video is a year old. Does'nt mean there aren't humbolts here and being used this year. They use fresh, fresh dead, and frozen humbolts. Usually frozen as when the humbolts are here, they just attack any bait you drop down. They buy the large squid when necessary but never the pre-rigged you speak of.

Nothing wrong with a guy liking to kill the big squid and askng about them.

Upvote 0

Werfless

Hugh Mann
Sep 15, 2012
The county
Name
Hugh Mann
Boat
Plastic Chariot
"The video is a year old. Does'nt mean there aren't humbolts here and being used this year. They use fresh, fresh dead, and frozen humbolts. Usually frozen as when the humbolts are here, they just attack any bait you drop down. They buy the large squid when necessary but never the pre-rigged you speak of.

Nothing wrong with a guy liking to kill the big squid and askng about them."

thank you for that, no one seems to be out looking for them this january that I've seen yet, been jonesing to get my fix of the big bastards.. grind up the heads and fins for shark chum (soup fin season in less than 6 weeks) and bait, cut up the rest and serve with pasta sauce and some cheese.. if anyone sees this and feels like sharing, I'd greatly appreciate it since I have 7 people in my house and a limited window to get top grade bait/chum/dinner..

edit- if they ARE chasing winter swords on our local banks, who would know more about where to find some squid? if they were inclined to share, I would be inclined to be grateful..

Upvote 0

la vida

Now I love our Prezzz!!!
Jun 28, 2006
El Cazonn
Name
Frank F
Boat
Boat-less (Sad)
The Pier Institute guys and some of the commercial guys they contracted with have hooked more then just what would be considered "a fluke".

And the gillnet guys have been hammering the Kings the past couple months

They are hooking them basically at 900-1000 on large squid locally. (One of the contracted guys is in our code group)

And here is a video by Pier

Beats the hell outta rockfishing! And Opah wouldn't be a surprise at all doing the deep drop for swords.

Upvote 0

la vida

Now I love our Prezzz!!!
Jun 28, 2006
El Cazonn
Name
Frank F
Boat
Boat-less (Sad)
Wonder if they need a deck hand? I would love to do that for a while.
Thanks Bud!

Upvote 0

OCEAN theRAPIST

I Should Upgrade My Account
Feb 9, 2012
san diego/kali/us
Name
randy
Boat
ocean therapist
the humbolts are here some years and other years they dont show up. some people hate them and some people love them. they put up a awesome fight and can make good bait or food but the humbolt squid is a killing machine and when they move in large number some people fear they will eat everything in sight.

i get alot of my soup fins on mac and i fish fresh dead squid when its around but its the common squid.

Upvote 0

Puddlin Jack

Registered Abuser
Jun 23, 2008
Newport Beach
Name
Ian
Boat
Cabo 38
Great video.

At 1:48 it looks like an artificial squid on the line. Are they using artificial baits as well?

Also, are they setting a single bait under each set of buoys or is it more of a long line with multiple baits?

Thanks for any feedback.

Upvote 0

nctoadslayerz

Almost A Member
Jan 27, 2012
Encinitas
Name
Eric Risen
Boat
nadaa
Sweet! I worked with them 2 summers ago when the project was first getting started and it was a blast! Alot of days of hauling gear for nothing and fine tuning the rigs but when we did pull one up it was epic! Caught a few huge big eye threshers as well. Thanks for the vid!

Upvote 0

conchydong

Untitled
Jun 5, 2008
Pompano Beach FL
Name
Scott
Boat
Rock Bottom
Buoy gear is the way to go. They closed the Florida straits in my area to PLL fishing and buoy fishing is holding it's own without the collateral damage that the long lines have. Hope it works out for you guys on the West coast.

Upvote 0

halekai

Be nice if you want a mooring.
Jan 7, 2013
Cat Harbor
Name
James
Boat
Crystaliner
I've seen the Malolo in Oceanside many times, since I keep my boat there I am always curious about what they're up to. I'd love to go with em given the chance...

Upvote 0

badfish34

Almost A Member
May 29, 2007
HB
Name
Chris
Boat
Turtle
How deep of water are they fishing? are they soaking the baits at 900-1000, or are they fishing in 900-1000 feet of water.

Upvote 0

nctoadslayerz

Almost A Member
Jan 27, 2012
Encinitas
Name
Eric Risen
Boat
nadaa
When I was on the boat we would drop buoys with hooks set at about 900-1000 feet down. Two sets of hooks per buoy baited with large squid or mackerel

Upvote 0

Bud B

Fear the Kraken
Dec 5, 2004
Name
Bud
Boat
Spotfin
How deep of water are they fishing? are they soaking the baits at 900-1000, or are they fishing in 900-1000 feet of water.

Their tagging studies show the swords at 900-1000 feet during the day in water of any depth. They feed in the deep scattering layer that has the hake, squid, king of the salmon, etc they feed on locally.

Look for temp/current/color breaks in 300 fathom or deeper. Structure that causes upwelling is good. They come up during the day and especially at night to warm and re-oxygenate. The surface conditions I described are good for looking for finning fish during the day . That same warm clean water is where they will come up during the night. In short, they want to feed deep during the day near warm clean water they can come up into for metabolic reasons.

Upvote 0

bus kid

rebmem nwonk llew
Feb 8, 2009
www.spacex.com
Name
David
Boat
Skipjack 20 open
Thank Bud, I enjoy your post.

Upvote 0