Swordfish?

Discussion in 'Washington Saltwater Fishing Reports' started by bearslayer5, Feb 23, 2019.

1. bearslayer5

bearslayer5 Newbie

Name:
    Keeper
    Boat:
    Keeper
    Ok so I have been thinking about this for a while. Has any tried to find daytime swordfish off the Oregon or Washington coast around40-60miles when the water warms in the summer. Yes they are deep but was wondering if anyone has tried it or have info on it.. I’m thinking of tried in the summer time..

2. Reel Hooker

Reel Hooker I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Benjamin
    Boat:
    Parker 2320 Long Cabin 'REEL HOOKER'
    Grammar check. o_O

Marlin Mike and cortezpirasea like this.
  3. Whalebreath

Whalebreath Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Carl Z
    Boat:
    If you don't see them sunning/warming up during the day they aren't there at all any time.

4. KimH

KimH Someday I'll live the dream.

Name:
    Kim
    Boat:
    26' Duckworth..."Mayhem"
    Had one jump alongside of me a couple years ago.
    I think two or three years ago the trawlers fishing Hake off of Oregon got a couple in their nets.
    There was a post here on BD 3 or 4 or 5 years ago of a commercial longliner fishing them off of Washington. I think the guy was catching swords and thresher sharks. Maybe a BD Washington members son was on the boat for a bit. Not sure if you can do a search that many years ago to find the post. He was fishing the thermoclines if I remember correctly.

5. bearslayer5

bearslayer5 Newbie

Name:
    Keeper
    Boat:
    Keeper
    Sorry grammar suck.. I have heard of guys seeing them around...

OdessaDog likes this.
  6. FVSerenity

FVSerenity Captain

Name:
    Rod
    Boat:
    22' Duckworth FVSerenity, 2502 Trophy FVHappyHours
    Swordfishes....oooooooohhhhh

7. Calis

Calis Salish for "Kingfisher"

Name:
    Bill
    Boat:
    Bayliner 2855 Ciera
    LOL, No pictures, it didn't happen........Right????

8. TunaHore

TunaHore World Champion Boat Ho

Name:
    Tuck
    Boat:
    Carolina Dory
    Looking for Elvis

9. wa_docholliday

wa_docholliday doc holliday

Name:
    Ryan Holliday
    Boat:
    doc holliday
    I have seen one while out fishing. Long liners caught them two years ago 35 miles offshore. I have never caught one here but want to try and I do know it can be done. I’ve sword fished before and it’s a completely different fishing I’d assume to give yourself a realistic shot you would have to fish for a week to get a bite and another week to recognize the bite and actually hook up. Most people don’t want to spend that amount of time but if you go let me know I plan to try it sometime sooner than later. The problem here is we don’t have large bait like goggle eyes so harder to cast live bait at a sunning sword

OdessaDog likes this.
  10. bearslayer5

bearslayer5 Newbie

Name:
    Keeper
    Boat:
    Keeper
    Well I guess the best part about it is I live in ocean shores and boat is on the dock all summer. Lots of luck.. I’m gearing up to try it this summer..I wonder if the rock fish we have around here would work as bait?

11. Captain Decent

Captain Decent I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Ryan
    Boat:
    The Bert Makes ’em Squirt
    We are down. We keep trying to pull off an overnighter for swords etc that hasn't materialized due to weather and whatnot but they are definitely out there.

I don't know nothing about swords but I was planning on deep dropping a small albacore or humboldt.

12. wa_docholliday

Name:
    Ryan Holliday
    Boat:
    doc holliday
    If your night fishing you don’t deep drop. That’s why it was always more popular to night fish

13. bearslayer5

bearslayer5 Newbie

Name:
    Keeper
    Boat:
    Keeper
    It will be a day time trip for me.. our boat is a bit small for a over nighter..

14. Cohoho

Cohoho I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Cohoho
    Boat:
    COHOHO - 23 ft Wooldridge Super Sport Offshore - SOLD
    Read up on rigging and how to really deep drop something to 1500ft or more with any current. It wont be like dropping down for halibut and expecting to feel your line tugging like a champ. Maybe a couple twitches here and there, if you miss them, you miss the fish. Took Florida guys years to perfect the way during the day and they are still learning something new every time. Reels need to hold every bit of 1500-2000ft depending on your location and depth obviously..

Gooch Larue and Salmon King like this.
  15. wa_docholliday

Name:
    Ryan Holliday
    Boat:
    doc holliday
    Coho that’s just the start of it. I learned so much going down doing it. It’s such an art

Cohoho likes this.
  16. Thatsbait

Thatsbait Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Thatsbait
    Boat:
    22' Defiance "Interdictor"
    I have done day time sword fishing in FL. I would recommend against using a rockfish for bait. I would use a very large squid, 3-4lbs, with a 20/0 hook. Leader needs to be at least 20 ft long. You dont want your spectra rubbing on the fish, which will lead to a failure at some point. Nothing less than 500lb leader which is crimped and a huge quality ball bearing swivel. Put the weight on with a rubber band so it will break off during the fight. You will also want to attach a glow light on the leader. They make special ones just for deep dropping, easily ordered for a few bucks

You are also going to need a 50 wide two speed reel, and preferably on an unlimited class bent butt rod. I would spool it with 150 hollow core Jerry Brown spectra, white or yellow. That way you can easily see what the angle on the line is.

Sharks might be a pain in the ass too. Those small blues or tope sharks will tear up your bait, and shred your expensive leader.

I think it can be done! Might just take a bit of effort! Good luck!

Odin7, Gooch Larue and Cohoho like this.
  17. bearslayer5

bearslayer5 Newbie

Name:
    Keeper
    Boat:
    Keeper
    Thatsbait your coming with.

18. PNWMatt2016

PNWMatt2016 Member

Name:
    Matt Frazier
    Boat:
    Need One!
    Mackeral is another great bait. Very oily and smelly! Butterfly the fish, trim the edges and cut the tail off. Sew the fish from the belly to the head. The hook will start from the mouth and then pierce mid stomach and be exposed like a jig. Sew the eye of the hook to the top of the fish's jaw/"nasal area". Using a glow or other colored hoochie skirt, slide down over the fish body. (Same sewing technique for squid, trim off tentacles, clean squid and trim down the edge, and then sew down!) 200-500lb fluorocarbon leader. A few glow clip on light bulbs that blink. Cannon ball weight at the spreader connecting main line. Some people attach a drop weight on the bait hook, so that when it hits the ocean floor, itll pop off and you'll be fishing with just the cannon ball. Helps get the bait down faster. We did some night deep drop in the canyons off the NJ coast last year. Absolutely epic encounters. Giant squid, big eye and a mako. No sword, but it's a big gamble! The net fishermen see these guys every few years! I'm planning on a deep drop hopefully this year!

Cohoho likes this.
  19. makairaa

makairaa I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Philip Hunkins
    Boat:
    17 starcraft
    Sablefish and hake are good baits if you can get them.

20. liltrouble

liltrouble Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Shari
    Boat:
    Mr. Buttercup
    H-Mart in Lynnwood sells 18-24 inch frozen Saurey (sp). Rig them like a ballyhoo with the weight in the head and monel holding it on the hook. I am going to get some today and practice tying them up.

Our catches were in broad daylight on shotgun rods while trolling bft in OBX. I believe it can be done in Washington

Resized952019031595125504951402.jpg