lougio

Capt Lou
Jul 19, 2014
La Mesa, CA
Name
Lou
Boat
'03 Parker 2520 Louie-Lui II
A. Nice haul, better to be lucky than good any day.
B. That swivel is way too small for troll gear
C. They call it fighting a fish because it's you against the fish, I'm not sure why it's ok to pass it around. I'd work the hook through the side of it's face before I pass it off.

Easy Bro! He can fight the fish whatever way he wants. The swivel and clip held and he got that fish in the boat. So the swivel/clip is not way too small. Don't be a dick! Congrats on a great catch.

Upvote 0

rrhookup

Fish/Surf..A Way of Life
Apr 30, 2004
RB
Name
Romme
Boat
Farallon 25 "Midori", 16' Western skiff
This was a dream come true. We left Mission Bay Friday night and headed to Pyramid. Anchored up around 2am. Started fishing around 6:30am just outside Pyramid. Water was nice and about 74. Lots of birds and looked good. A marlin jumped about 7 times in front of us so we worked the area. I got zipped on my big jethead twice. Nothing more for the rest of the day. Around 4pm we were 15 miles off Mission Bay and I put my jethead back out for hoo's. I got bit hard and it was on!! I have a 30 wide with 500 yards of 100lb braid topped with a couple hundred yards of 50lb mono. I was down to my braid pretty quick and the fish was going down and dirty. I'm thinking big tuna and I'm in low gear the whole time. I'm with my nephew John and his Dad (my brother) and our friend Rick. After about 40 minutes I'm thinking I'll let my nephew crank on this. We set him up in the harness and he cranks for 30 minutes. He was cool enough to pass it to his dad who cranked another 30 minutes. The whole time this fish is deep. Finally it comes up and the sun is down low so were still not sure what it is. It comes up tail wrapped and the second we see the fat ass tail we FREAKED out. I'm yelling SWORDFISH, SWORDFISH, SWORDFISH!! I sunk the fly gaff and the fish didn't move. Tail wrapped it and got it in the boat in about 30 seconds. Its still unbelievable that we get this on the troll. After its in the boat I looked at the swivel and its straightened out. I have a ball bearing swivel attached to my rod but when I rigged this for wahoo I added this swivel to the wire. Weighed the fish as the gas dock. I was guessing 200lbs but it weighed 195. Fish of a lifetime!!

View attachment 632685

View attachment 632686

View attachment 632687

Great report. Dreams do come true. Family on the water fishing experiences that'll last a lifetime!

Upvote 0

Blackfish

Marble collector.
Sep 20, 2005
My Backyard
Name
Boat
toy

Swordfish.jpg

Upvote 0

Bubba

I Should Upgrade My Account
May 6, 2004
Pismo Beach
Name
Bubba
Boat
18' Trophy
A. Nice haul, better to be lucky than good any day.
B. That swivel is way too small for troll gear
C. They call it fighting a fish because it's you against the fish, I'm not sure why it's ok to pass it around. I'd work the hook through the side of it's face before I pass it off.

Little jealous? Way to try and shit on somebody's fish of a life time post.

Reactions: caballo del mar
Upvote 0

c-goat

HELL BENT FOR FEATHER
May 4, 2004
santee ca.
Name
Bill
Boat
08 DEFIANCE 220 ex Sheri-Moon
You got my vote for catch of the year 2015.:urno1:

Upvote 0

lamnidae

Aug 25, 2008
Escondido
Name
Chris
Boat
anything I can fish from
Why would someone have an issue with sharing the fight with their family?? Puzzling!??

The whole crew got to pull,and for some time, on a once in a lifetime fish that could have taken hours to bring up.

The gear held up. The swivel makes the catch even sweeter. A simple congratulations is all that's in order. Guys have taken marlin on straight mono to hook with no criticism. Just to see a Sword is awesome. Hooking, fighting, and landing one with your family is incredible.

Reactions: 2small
Upvote 0

SeaHogDelux

Fish Killer eater guy
Aug 19, 2010
San Pedro, ca usa
Name
Capt. Hog
Boat
Sgt. Slaughter
very rare for the troll great job .. thats all i need for my bucketlist and i am selling my boat lol

Upvote 0

NEZ BITE

Aug 7, 2006
ESCONDIDO
Name
JEFF
Boat
24 SKIPJACK
Appreciate the responses from everybody!! Cant wait to get out and try again. Hopefully it wont take another 45+ years!

Upvote 0

?? fisherman

super Captain
Feb 27, 2003
Soul Cal
www.sandiegofishing.com
Name
Mike
Boat
Kencraft CC
Appreciate the responses from everybody!! Cant wait to get out and try again. Hopefully it wont take another 45+ years!

To catch another sword trolling a jig....... count on it!

You have a better chance of being hit by lightning!

Congrats again on a bitchen catch!

The unknown fisherman:p:

Upvote 0

ranchero

fishing-pox..?I have fishing plauge
Apr 29, 2004
SD
Name
Al
Boat
25 skipjack -Albatross
holy grail!!!! Nice job !

buenas suertes...go buy a lottery ticket now

Upvote 0

LEC

Almost A Member
Dec 15, 2005
Garden Grove Ca.
Name
Larry Crownover
Boat
20 ft. Invader LC
Probably the most outstanding catch I've read about in several years and to share with family makes it all the better! Congratulations! !!

Upvote 0

Captfishkiller

Almost A Member
Jun 27, 2008
Oceanside/Ca/USA
Name
Tony Domenico
Boat
36 Jersey "No Worries"
Hey RowdyRosco, when you catch one locally, then you can tell them how todo it ok?
Catching a sword locally is amazing, its not done often. I had one on for about a 300 yd run once on 50 pound line then it threw the hook.
been trying to get a local one for 20 years now. I did get one in south America one time, we were fishing 1200 ft deep....

Upvote 0