PENN

NEZ BITE

Aug 7, 2006
ESCONDIDO
Name
JEFF
Boat
24 SKIPJACK
This was a dream come true. We left Mission Bay Friday night and headed to Pyramid. Anchored up around 2am. Started fishing around 6:30am just outside Pyramid. Water was nice and about 74. Lots of birds and looked good. A marlin jumped about 7 times in front of us so we worked the area. I got zipped on my big jethead twice. Nothing more for the rest of the day. Around 4pm we were 15 miles off Mission Bay and I put my jethead back out for hoo's. I got bit hard and it was on!! I have a 30 wide with 500 yards of 100lb braid topped with a couple hundred yards of 50lb mono. I was down to my braid pretty quick and the fish was going down and dirty. I'm thinking big tuna and I'm in low gear the whole time. I'm with my nephew Jon and his Dad (my brother) and our friend Rick. After about 40 minutes I'm thinking I'll let my nephew crank on this. We set him up in the harness and he cranks for 30 minutes. He was cool enough to pass it to his dad who cranked another 30 minutes. The whole time this fish is deep. Finally it comes up and the sun is down low so were still not sure what it is. It comes up tail wrapped and the second we see the fat ass tail we FREAKED out. I'm yelling SWORDFISH, SWORDFISH, SWORDFISH!! I sunk the fly gaff and the fish didn't move. Tail wrapped it and got it in the boat in about 30 seconds. Its still unbelievable that we get this on the troll. After its in the boat I looked at the swivel and its straightened out. I have a ball bearing swivel attached to my rod but when I rigged this for wahoo I added this swivel to the wire. Weighed the fish as the gas dock. I was guessing 200lbs but it weighed 195. Fish of a lifetime!!

JETHEAD.jpg

SWIVEL.jpg

SWORDFISH.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Captfishkiller

Almost A Member
Jun 27, 2008
Oceanside/Ca/USA
Name
Tony Domenico
Boat
36 Jersey "No Worries"
Talk to you guys on the radio, yep I thought it was a big tuna also.. Great surprise, Congratulations
Local Sword still on my bucket list, I baited, hooked and lost one a couple years ago.... 2015 A crazy year to remember

Reactions: rivertake
Upvote 0

Carl

Bridesmaid,,,,,,,Again
  • Nov 29, 2004
    San Diego
    Name
    Carl
    Boat
    everyone elses
    :eek:

Upvote 0

steelhead88

Marriage is not a word; it is a sentence!
    Aug 18, 2008
    Ventura
    Name
    Scott
    Boat
    GRAYLIGHT- Custom 23' Aluminum Pilothouse
    Totally fantastic, great job!!! It's nice when they bite the right gear, seems to never work out that way for us.

Upvote 0

?? fisherman

super Captain
    Feb 27, 2003
    Soul Cal
    www.sandiegofishing.com
    Name
    Mike
    Boat
    Kencraft CC
    That's an unreal catch right there!!!!!

Catching a swordie on the troll is nearly unheard of! It's happened very very few times that I know of....... crazy!!

And dude...... that swivel...... count your blessings, cause that is some pimpy gear to be landing such a great fish!!

That is by far the hardest local fish to land off our coast without question! Most of the ones hooked end up being fought for hours on end and being lost............ they are truly one very badass fish!

You could call it all good now for the season or even fishing in general LOL....... but you might as well really show off and go get yourself a local wahoo as a side dish for your swordie. ;)

Congrats....... totally sick report!

The unknown fisherman:p:

Reactions: Teddy one eye
    Upvote 0

SEA SNIPER

#willfish4tacos
    Feb 4, 2015
    TEMECULA
    Name
    CHIP
    Boat
    REEL THERAPY EDGEWATER 26 CC
    Awesome job guys!!!!! Heard u guys from the beginning to the end!!!! WOW nice catch.....very tasty! Swivel totally detonated!!!! You must live right!! !:appl::cheers::appl:

Upvote 0

makairaa

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
    May 1, 2005
    Tustin CA
    Name
    Philip Hunkins
    Boat
    17 starcraft
    That's an unreal catch right there!!!!!

Catching a swordie on the troll is nearly unheard of! It's happened very very few times that I know of....... crazy!!

And dude...... that swivel...... count your blessings, cause that is some pimpy gear to be landing such a great fish!!
    b
    That is by far the hardest local fish to land off our coast without question! Most of the ones hooked end up being fought for hours on end and being lost............ they are truly one very badass fish!

You could call it all good now for the season or even fishing in general LOL....... but you might as well really show off and go get yourself a local wahoo as a side dish for your swordie. ;)

Congrats....... totally sick report!

There was a little one taken last year, but other than that the only ones I know of caught trolling were at night by people targeting them. Incredible catch.

Reactions: CaliCrusher
    Upvote 0

Phat Boat

I Should Upgrade My Account
    Apr 18, 2004
    San Diego
    Name
    Jon
    Boat
    Grady White Marlin 300
    congrats guys. i was lucky enough to catch the weigh in. What a fish. The head was huge as was the sword. Fish of a lifetime.

Upvote 0

NEZ BITE

Aug 7, 2006
    ESCONDIDO
    Name
    JEFF
    Boat
    24 SKIPJACK
    I'm still super pumped. Feel very lucky. I always prepare for the unexpected but using that swivel was ridiculous, embarrassing. Still cant believe that happened.

Upvote 0

?? fisherman

super Captain
    Feb 27, 2003
    Soul Cal
    www.sandiegofishing.com
    Name
    Mike
    Boat
    Kencraft CC
    I'm still super pumped. Feel very lucky. I always prepare for the unexpected but using that swivel was ridiculous, embarrassing. Still cant believe that happened.

Cut that bill off and save it!

I can tell you a fun and easy way to make that thing turn out insanely bitchen...... like a piece of polished furniture. ;)

Upvote 0

Auggie

I Should Upgrade My Account
    Mar 17, 2007
    H.B.
    Name
    Gary
    Boat
    None
    Right on guys ! I just posted another thread asking about the outcome as we heard the radio chatter too. Guessing black or big tuna was the I heard . great job on landing this fish .

Upvote 0