Offshore Swing and a miss deep drop.... and some weird shit happened need explanation

PENN

Tom Honaker

I Should Upgrade My Account
Sep 27, 2015
Hotchkiss Colorado
Name
Tom Honaker
Boat
Royal Star
Some of my graphite rods have a shock warning sticker on them.
I flyfish on the Gunnison river in Colorado 200 days a year, can't tell you how many times I've hid my fly rod under bushes , and took of running to my truck, during the summer! Lightning hitting the ground around me! Graphite rods are basically a lightning rod! Luckily I've always retrieved my rod the next day!

Blackfish

Marble collector.
Sep 20, 2005
My Backyard
Name
Boat
toy
Happened to us at silver lake in the june loop,All the rods and metal(engine) were humming and lightning bolts were hitting the water all around us but we avoided getting struck i think maybe because we were in a portabote made of pvc?It blew in,wreaked havoc and blew out within 15 minutes.When we got to shore a couple landslides had already taken out the highway.north part of the campground and part of the pack station.
View attachment 1268820
Similar thing happen to my when hiking Mt. Whitney in late July. Storm came in and was goner in 10 minutes. The hair on my arms was "tickling" me. We tossed our packs as far as we could, and then got as low as we could behind some rocks and said "oh f, we're screwed". We got lucky as hell

plj46

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Jan 7, 2008
Socal
Name
john
Boat
24 ft grady white
I guess there's no possibility somebody was playing April's fools on a buddy ?

500BBC

Almost A Member
Oct 19, 2007
LA
Name
Brad
Boat
19' Schiada, Neighborhood Menace
Silver Lake, the same thing. Very low ceiling, fog like, rods were crackling through the air when casting spoons. Then the line was "hanging" up in the cloud on the cast, spoon in the water. We got the fuck off the lake.

Reactions: One_Leg and Tom123

TOTW

Time On The Water
Dec 23, 2005
San Diego
Name
Chris L
Boat
Leo's
Stole this from the google...this hairball was once a graphite fishing rod before a lightning strike.
A65C30BD-D4DE-4F7A-B7CA-F14F9F1C2FA7.jpeg

John56434

Idk what to name dis
Aug 1, 2019
West side
Name
John
Boat
Fishing boat
I agree, here's the forecast for today. We had a quick squall go by in Irvine.

"Isolated thunderstorms will be possible through this afternoon across the coastal waters and the coast, with lightning, small hail, gusty and erratic winds and
waterspouts being the associated hazards."
We head in before the clouds came in. We saw the dark clouds around catalina..

MightyMach

Aug 17, 2007
Corona
Name
Jeff
Boat
Phoenix 29 SFX "Given Inn," 17' Duckhungint boat, "Camo-Toe"
That's scary! I was just reading yesterday on an RF ground and began thinking of a lightning ground.

onehottip

May 8, 2006
So cal
Name
Guerms
Boat
18.5 Wahoo cc , Evinrude Etec V6 135 HO
Yesterday out in Santa Clarita I noticed in the afternoon that the sky were very dark. I mentioned to my wife it looks tropical like a lightning storm is imminent. Then I thought nah!

Crowman

Almost A Member
Mar 3, 2017
Northern California
Name
Crowman
Boat
YES
My boat partner took the boat out today deep dropping. Off of catalina no love but a nice day on the water. He sends me this video and he’s all sketched out. While drift he heard a sizzling sound and follows what he heard to the rods, they are conducting some electricity and sizzling, shocking to the touch. The antenna is doing it as well on the tower. He turns off the battery switch and it continues to do it. Coming and going over the next few hours without any battery power on. Any explanations? navy? Or aliens lol? Weather? Easy explanation would be the boat but it still did it with the power off, and all other areas of the boat we not conducting except rods and antenna
View attachment 1268654
Watch video sound up
The guy with the phone videoing backs up and grabs the metal frame of the windshield but doesn't get shocked doing that. Plus he touches the rod foam foregrip saying he got shocked with non conductive material? Just asking for a friend.

Reactions: liltrouble

Wandering Blues

Oct 19, 2008
The Land of Entrapment
Name
Curtis
Boat
A Pair of Simms G3 Waders
I’d say your buddy was in a lightning charged area and was lucky it wasn’t worse.

Me and my son were flyfishing the Owens River about 10 years back and clouds started building off the White Mountains. As we started walking back to the truck, all hairs stood on end and began to tingle. I looked down at my fly reel and it was actually arcing from the spool into my wrist. There was a weird ozone smell and and a feeling like there was no oxygen to breathe.

Just as I yelled at my son to hit the deck, everything went white, like next level white, and it felt like a bomb going off. It knocked us both down. As soon as we were up, we took off in waders and boots and laid down a time that would have been Olympic qualifying getting back to the truck.

Talked to a ranger that afternoon who indicated it was probably a ground strike next to us and the fingers of electricity coming out of the ground probably got us. He said, and I agreed, it could have been worse as we were walking around with graphite fly rods- aka lightning rods- in our hands.

I still have the burn scar as a souvenir, and the terrifying memory, not of the strike, but of the ass chewing my wife gave me about putting her child in danger... lol