Swimstep height on transom and hardware

fishgrappler

Jul 4, 2015
Name
Bru
Boat
Skipjack 24 Open
Picked up a swimstep from a member here and could use guidance on the (vertical) placement on the transom. I'm guessing it should go a certain height above the waterline?

Also, the seller told me that only the top bracket hole went through the transom with nut/washer on the other side. Bottom 2 holes had tapping screws, or lags (don't remember exactly what he said). Does this sound right, or should I through bolt all 3 holes on each bracket?

This is for a 1977 open 24.

IMG_7362[1].JPG

Reel 007

I Should Upgrade My Account
Jun 12, 2006
Glendora Ca
Name
Leon
Boat
28 Wellcraft Coastal "vagabond'
If possible I would through bolt everything, should be better weight bearing.
As for the height, that would depend on your #1 purpose for having a swim platform, if it's main purpose is to help swimmers get in the boat it should be mounted as low as is feasible.

mine is mounted one and a half inches below my transom door, the main purpose for my swim platform is to carry my kill bag.

nweiner

Jul 2, 2009
United States
Name
Nathan
Boat
24’ Skipjack Open
There was only one set of through bolts going through the top hole like you described on my swim step bracket. The other two were lag bolts in the transom. If you wanted to through bolt the lower two holes it would be difficult to get to all the bolts if you still had the motor in. However the way the brackets were designed I think only the top ones really need to be through bolted.

You can see the attached pic for the factory placement. I do not have measurements but this should give you a good idea of height relative to the drive and waterline. I was able to move the drive all the way up without hitting the step. I have seen some boats with a gap or space in the step for the drive to go all the way up. You should definitely take that into consideration if you are trying to go as low as possible.

823E2800-261D-48E5-BA86-395FEC40D07F.jpeg

SkipJack Boats

Advertiser
Advertiser
Jul 8, 2020
Oak Hills, CA
www.skipjackyachts.com
Name
Michael Englebrecht
Boat
25 ft Skipjack
There was only one set of through bolts going through the top hole like you described on my swim step bracket. The other two were lag bolts in the transom. If you wanted to through bolt the lower two holes it would be difficult to get to all the bolts if you still had the motor in. However the way the brackets were designed I think only the top ones really need to be through bolted.

You can see the attached pic for the factory placement. I do not have measurements but this should give you a good idea of height relative to the drive and waterline. I was able to move the drive all the way up without hitting the step. I have seen some boats with a gap or space in the step for the drive to go all the way up. You should definitely take that into consideration if you are trying to go as low as possible.

View attachment 1276771
through bolt and use bonding wire.

Reactions: fishgrappler

bent rodz

Almost A Member
  • Aug 30, 2014
    San Diego
    Name
    Tony
    Boat
    Skipjack 24 Open
    @fishgrappler did you ever get the information you were looking for to get this mounted correctly? I have a 1972 24 Open with a swim platform too. Everything is through bolted with stainless hardware and bonded. No lags. If I was you I would through bolt everything. Even the hard to reach ones. Take a look at mine and if you want the same mounting height and measurements let me know. I'd be happy to set a tape out and send you a few pics. Through bolting might be a tight squeeze accessing them but is worth it. I drilled my holes slightly larger than the bolt, then filled holes with Epoxy and angel hair glass and re-drilled the hole the same size O.D. as the bolt. Use the biggest stainless fender washers that you can get away with too on all bolts on the inside. No way for transom rot to happen as the wood is completely sealed. Also, for good measure, I put a good squirt of 5200 into the hole before sending the bolt through. 5 years later and still solid. Holler up if you need a hand.

fishgrappler

Jul 4, 2015
    Name
    Bru
    Boat
    Skipjack 24 Open
    @fishgrappler did you ever get the information you were looking for to get this mounted correctly? I have a 1972 24 Open with a swim platform too. Everything is through bolted with stainless hardware and bonded. No lags. If I was you I would through bolt everything. Even the hard to reach ones. Take a look at mine and if you want the same mounting height and measurements let me know. I'd be happy to set a tape out and send you a few pics. Through bolting might be a tight squeeze accessing them but is worth it. I drilled my holes slightly larger than the bolt, then filled holes with Epoxy and angel hair glass and re-drilled the hole the same size O.D. as the bolt. Use the biggest stainless fender washers that you can get away with too on all bolts on the inside. No way for transom rot to happen as the wood is completely sealed. Also, for good measure, I put a good squirt of 5200 into the hole before sending the bolt through. 5 years later and still solid. Holler up if you need a hand.

I got some good info from the earlier responses, but I haven't had time to mount it yet. Yeah, if you have time to take some pics, I'd appreciate it!!

whitecap72

Mar 3, 2009
    rohnert park, ca, usa
    Name
    austin
    Boat
    24' skipjack
    I'm in the same boat with mounting a swim step that I picked up for my 24ft open. Im gonna raise the out drive and give the best clearance while seeing the hight of my ice chest as well. I think I'm just gonna through bolt the top bold holes as they were maonted like that from the factory on the Radon that it originally came off

Upvote 0

SkipJack Boats

Advertiser
    Advertiser
    Jul 8, 2020
    Oak Hills, CA
    www.skipjackyachts.com
    Name
    Michael Englebrecht
    Boat
    25 ft Skipjack
    Most likely you will have to shim the swimstep to match the brackets. I would try to make it fit by bolting it down.
    We have to do that at the factory on every one f them.
    Our latest welder did a great job matching the brackets when he made them but we still had to make them fit.
    If you need help give us a call and I'll have our guy talk you through it.

BigMike

Upvote 0

fishgrappler

Jul 4, 2015
    Name
    Bru
    Boat
    Skipjack 24 Open
    Most likely you will have to shim the swimstep to match the brackets. I would try to make it fit by bolting it down.
    We have to do that at the factory on every one f them.
    Our latest welder did a great job matching the brackets when he made them but we still had to make them fit.
    If you need help give us a call and I'll have our guy talk you through it.

BigMike

Shim the swimstep to brackets, or brackets to transom, or both?

Reactions: SkipJack Boats

SkipJack Boats

Advertiser
    Advertiser
    Jul 8, 2020
    Oak Hills, CA
    www.skipjackyachts.com
    Name
    Michael Englebrecht
    Boat
    25 ft Skipjack
    Sorry for the delay.

We make a wedge using glass and resin and keep sanding it to fit. We don't make the swim step match the transom and bracket. Our new welder makes the brackets to fit each position and it takes care to fit closely.
    But even though it takes some fitting.

Call if you need ,ore details.

20210729_095723.jpg

Upvote 0

fishgrappler

Jul 4, 2015
    Name
    Bru
    Boat
    Skipjack 24 Open
    My bracket bolt holes already match the swimstep holes. My transom is brand new (no holes yet). So can't I suspend the swimstep/brackets up to the transom, mark & drill the holes, and bolt it in?

What is a good day & time to call?

IMG_7772[1].JPG

Reactions: SkipJack Boats
    SkipJack Boats
    SkipJack Boats
    888 947 8337 M-TH 6 - 4:30
    off hours 562 841 6117
    The transom and the bracket rarely match that well. The brackets have no give so I would to be safe transfer the holes and then loosen the swim step then bolts the brackets down.
    then look for large gaps that you may want to fill. In the long run it will save you from cracks and creating separation between the core and the glass.
    have a great day

BigMike
    Upvote 0
    Upvote 0